1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Looking for semi-auto rifle suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BFG, Feb 18, 2018.

1. BFG

BFG

With all the BS going on with ARs in Massachusetts and trying to get more into rifle shooting what would be some good suggestions for a non AR rifle that is around $1k? I have been looking at the mini 14 but have heard a lot of mixed reviews of them. I would be willing to step up a little in price for something really worth it. The only real requirement I have is that it is a detachable magazine.

2. Shawnyc

Shawnyc NES Member

What will it's uses be? What caliber are your interested in?

3. Penniepup1

Penniepup1 NES Member

Springfield M1A

76Too, wegman and mjbitt like this.
  4. The Herd

The Herd NES Member

I really enjoy my Ruger Mini-14...

El_Guapo77 and Bt74 like this.
  5. BFG

BFG

Any readily available rifle caliber will do.

6. Drix

Drix

Mini-14 but not in .22lr

7. BFG

BFG

When I say rifle caliber I am excluding a .22. What is the going rate for the mini 14?

8. new guy

new guy NES Member

FALs and M14s seem like good deals these days if you don’t mind the caliber/weight. Tavors are where I’d be looking if I was in MA and interested in 556, though the price is higher than your budget.

9. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

You might want to consider the cost of different calibers and think about how many rounds you'd like to keep on hand. If you're just plinking then it doesn't matter as much but if you're looking to get a rifle and stock on up ammo by the case, then some calibers can get pretty expensive and keeping cases of multiple calibers around gets even more expensive. Personally, I'd consider a Mini-14 and stock up on .223/5.56 ASAP and then explore the various AR options like buying used or DIY receiver finishing. Prices are good right now and there's even a thread on here about buying ammo online but you never know what new legislation might pop up overnight.

The Herd likes this.
  10. Climbnsink

Climbnsink

Mini 14s aren't bad. They'll do what most people need done. Want is something else. With a mini 14 you can't pretend you are a Navy SEAL but you can pretend you are on the A team.

11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

12. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry

Browning BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) is a very sweet soft-shooting .308 that can be had in your price range.

The MSRP is like 1200ish? But nobody pays MSRP; do some price shopping and you'll get one <$1000.

Excellent fit and finish. Incredibly reliable. Not much need to be "accurized" compared to other rifle platforms.

Not sure why so many in MA overlook these - I've owned several and they're amazing weapons.

The only sticking point for you might be that the magazine is detachable but is loaded by trap-door.

13. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

If you want an AR, then buy an AR

CatSnoutSoup and AKOK74 like this.
  14. Waher

Waher NES Member

M1A if you want a .30 cal

Mini14 tactical if you want .556. Add ~$200 in aftermarket goodies: Accustrut-LT, 1911 buffer installed behind the operating rod, Choate handguard or Ultimak railed handguard, Tech-Sights, and Cogswell stripper clip guide and essentially they become M1As in .556. The 581+ series are solid rifles, it's the older ones with pencil barrels that have accuracy problems.

Sig SCMs were a nice option too until Sig decided there was no 556 market in the US =(

Tavors are probably worth it these days simply because of being able to take standard magazines.

Other platforms you are stuck with the proprieties which may not have prebans available.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  15. Nikos

Nikos

16. Billy2

Billy2 Instructor NES Member

Kel tec su16 B is a solid choice. Takes ar mags, has an ak operating system, folds small and just works. Hell you could buy 2 for the prices I see ar's going for here.

17. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

SKS for cheap plinking. M1A is a nice rifle but over your stated budget. M1 Garand is a great rifle and a service grade can be had for a little over $700 shipped. Dont know anything about Mini 14's but I had heard the same mixed reviews and also was turned off by the proprietary mags. As has been posted, there are ways to get into an AR15 if you want it bad enough that wont necessarily put you over a grand.
    If youre open to bolt guns, theres a good amount of surplus out there that are great shooters and well under $1k- K31, M39, 03a3, Mausers, etc. *eta- sorry, didnt see you had stated semi autos...right in the title of the thread.:oops: eta2-...aaand detachable mag, so nvm the SKS and technically the Garand, leaving the M1A which is over $1k. Im gunna shut up now, lol.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    CAR and ToddDubya like this.
  18. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

I have a Remington 752 carbine in 3006 I can sell you cheap

19. wmass

wmass NES Member

Mini 14, Tavor, Keltec RDB. The last two take standard AR mags thus prebans galore. The mini also has been around the block and has factory prebans. I don’t mind the Ruger mags. People like to complain they don’t drop free... not every system is AR based. Nothing wrong with rocking them in, it works fine for AKs.

20. Al-Jim19

Al-Jim19

Mini14 or maybe a keltec su16. The keltec takes stanag mags which is great. It’s not robust like an AR but you can get one for like 450 in our lame state. Also it folds which is cool.

Also a good used AR can be had for like 1200.

21. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

I don't get it. Why can't you buy an AR?

CatSnoutSoup likes this.
  22. fencer

fencer NES Member

Trust me.. just buy an AR. Look in the classifieds.

If you buy a Mini 14 make sure it is a newer one. The old ones sucked beyond words.

You could go with the Springfield M1A, but you would have to double your budget basically by the time you bought a few magazines. And if you do not reload ammo costs are steep. Annnd it is so worth it.
    [​IMG]

wegman likes this.
  23. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

There was a Sig 556 piston rifle (don't know if they still make them) is an AR-like rifle but takes different parts (but same mag), so you can buy one from a dealer (I sold mine thru Four Seasons a year or two ago). It's a kind of heavy solidly built rifle but very high quality.

24. snax

snax NES Member

MP5? Tommy Gun? Ammo is cheap.

25. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

For what mini14s cost and then the extra’s to get it to shoot they suck: Then again it depends what you want to do . If your just blasting torso size targets just about anything will do

26. boscru

boscru NES Member

for that money, (1K) look at eddie coyles rifles in the classifieds. i spent 1K on 2 plinking ar's. not near the quality he's offering

27. 426wedge

426wedge NES Member

[​IMG]

Nice, but pricey

28. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry

The box mag model isn't something I've tried, but it looks interesting. I wonder is the mag proprietary?

And yeah, it's like $3-400 more than the standard trap door model. For that much, why not get an M1A?

It is a magazine that goes into the trapdoor, though - not a clip or a stripper of some kind. It's just not a drop-free box mag. On the standard BAR I mean.

29. Horrible

Horrible NES Member

Another vote for the SKS

daggrant99 likes this.
  30. crazymjb

crazymjb

There are still some ARs for around a grand out there. Otherwise save up a little more and go for the X95.

Mike

johnnymac101 likes this.