Looking for S&W 642 "No-Lock" .38 Special +P revolver?

kingfisher

NES Member
When I was looking for my Smith & Wesson J-Frame, I had a lot of trouble finding one with no internal lock. Yesterday, I saw some new ones available for sale in the Manchester, NH area and just wanted to pass it on. They are selling for substantially less than I paid 10 years ago... $425 at one store and only $405 at another.

I'm not here to advertise for anybody or to read anybody's opinion of these stores, so I'm not naming them in this post. This is just a heads-up for my fellow NESers, and anyone interested can find more information online and by calling around to some stores.

IMO, everyone needs at least one "No-Lock" J-Frame. Happy shopping!

Last edited:
Ha-ha, I just realized my post this morning was at 6:42!

BTW, if anybody will be buying something (doesn't need to be a gun) from Shooter's Outpost in Hooksett, I can save you $10. Send me a PM to arrange it.

I like the looks/idea of the internal-lock hole plug kit. I have several S&W J-frames that could use a good pluggin'...

iu

I like the looks/idea of the internal-lock hole plug kit. I have several S&W J-frames that could use a good pluggin'...

Interesting, enbloc... never seen those. Is that something you'd install yourself? I think the internal lock mechanism would need to be removed as well.

Last edited:
Interesting, enbloc... never seen those. Is that something you'd install yourself? I think the internal lock mechanism would need to be removed as well.

Yep. No harder than doing an Apex trigger kit, and Original Precision Mfg. has them for as low as $39 (4 flavors, for K,L,N,J frame S&W's with the internal-lock)
I'm going to pick some up and check them out.
~Matt

https://www.originalprecision.com/
95f227b73dc238dc9ffc29b33144c886

848083b5c04614b8172f6c40acc47fec

87fefbdbd0ea9a7af0e4217968bfd077

Rough to listen to, but this is what it would look like to "delete" your internal-lock...

Rough to listen to, but this is what it would look like to "delete" your internal-lock...

I gave you a Like for posting this video. Thanks, Man.

I didn't mind his voice, and there's definitely some good information in there, but for anyone else who wants to watch it I want to mention that the video's title isn't very accurate. He showed taking a slug (plug) out after disassembling the revolver, and then reinstalling the slug, but he doesn't show any further re-assembly (hammer, spring, etc.), and he doesn't show deleting the internal lock mechanism AT ALL.

Yeah, with many youtube vids you kinda have to get some info from a combo of sources, and then compile them.

Here is another vid that is a little more dry, but useful...

The replacement plug (or, slug as the previous vid called it) is virtually identical to the lock cam. (which in the below photo, is at the 12 o'clock position of the hammer axle)
It kinda looks like an upside-down duck pin or hand-grenade, just above the black bar. (S&W calls it the cylinder "bolt") By replacing the cam/lock with a smooth, round plug the locking plate can never move and lock up the action.
iu

As per this video, you can also remove just the lock plate and achieve the same, only the external lock face is still there and visible.

iu

NOTE: If you decide to go this route, save all the parts and become proficient is their removal/re-installation. (If you ever have to return a modified revolver back to the factory, they want it in stock-configuration...)
~Matt

Last edited:
Yeah, with many youtube vids you kinda have to get some info from a combo of sources, and then compile them.

Here is another vid that is a little more dry, but useful...

Thanks, Matt. Those two videos, PLUS your additional photos and descriptions pretty much complete the overall picture of what's required.

I like how common household items like a paper clip and a "twisty tie with a wire center" are important parts of his tool kit, and I'm fascinated by the lockwork of these revolvers!

Any time. I'm a harley mechanic, and handguns and rifles are just machines. Beautiful machines.
If you are considering doing this to your wheel gun, and they have the stock spring-set right now, you should also think of doing an Apex duty kit. They are a really good alternative to a full gunsmith trigger job and can be done with few and simple tools. I've done about a dozen and now it is muscle memory. If you do it and have any issues, just PM me. I'll help all I can.
~Matt

iu

These are the locations effected, and are part and parcel of the plug install:

iu

This j-frame, however has no internal lock... ^
But, it is a great reference photo to a correctly assembled, no-lock S&W 642.

I watched the two 642 "Apex Tactical Duty/Carry Spring Kit" videos on Midway's website. It looks very easy to do.

I don't know if I want to do it to mine, though, because even though most of the reviews are positive, some of them complain about light primer strikes.

Back
Top Bottom