• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for rod/gun club on North Shore

New shooter here. Been reading and learning a lot on these forums. Thanks for having a "safe space" for people to talk about guns without needing to recite the 2nd amendment.

Live in Salem, work in Ipswich. Looking for a rod/gun club to join (getting sick of driving to Salisbury) Have heard various things about Danvers, Ham/wen and Ipswich, but figured I'd ask the experts.

Pros/cons? Is there somewhere else I should be considering? Thanks in advance.

Are you over the age of 60 and crotchety? Danvers
Like shooting and personable? Andover
Enjoy shooting trap after work ? Georgetown
Dont mind driving and like being able to practice whatever you want safely in an action pit? Londonderry or Pelham
Hidden gem? Hamilton.

Andover Sportsmans Club

24/7 access to indoor pistol range, new outdoor pistol range, no r.o. necessary to shoot, so shoot whenever you like, archery, clays, rifle range, fishing Derby's, pig roasts, training classes.

Down sides...10 round mag limit, r.o. needed for full auto or bumpfire (soon to be irrelevant), rifle range limited to 100 yards, and probably some stuff that bothers others but that I don't notice.

New shooter here. Been reading and learning a lot on these forums. Thanks for having a "safe space" for people to talk about guns without needing to recite the 2nd amendment.

Live in Salem, work in Ipswich. Looking for a rod/gun club to join (getting sick of driving to Salisbury) Have heard various things about Danvers, Ham/wen and Ipswich, but figured I'd ask the experts.

Pros/cons? Is there somewhere else I should be considering? Thanks in advance.

check out the map on this page, there might be a place you missed that works for you. http://goal.org/affiliatedclubs.html

I'm a member of Hamilton Wenham, pm me for info or if you want to check it out.
Cape Ann Sportsmans is also close/easy access, I've never been but you can check it out Sunday mornings for $20 or something.

I'm a member of Hamilton Wenham, pm me for info or if you want to check it out.
Cape Ann Sportsmans is also close/easy access, I've never been but you can check it out Sunday mornings for $20 or something.

I'm a member at Cape Ann and it's a good club. 24/7 indoor range, 100 yard rifle, pistol pit, trap, archery etc. Don't need range officers present like at Danvers.

Never been to Hamilton but have a couple friends that are members and they say it's a good club.

Been to Andover a few times and really like that club. Much more updated than Cape Ann.

Living in Salem, I think Andover or Hamilton would be the best options if you don't want to drive far.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Danvers since it's full of FUDDs and must have a RO present to shoot etc.

Last edited:
I’m in Marblehead and have been going to Cape Ann. Was a member of Danvers, but left due to the FUDDS and RO BS. Planning on joining Cape Ann as I like to bring guests with me, and it seems Hamilton isn’t very open to that from what I’ve been told/read.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Danvers since it's full of FUDDs and must have a RO present to shoot etc.

Never been to Danvers, but the RO thing killed it for me. Seemed like if you had a job, it would be a pain in the ass to find a time to shoot.

When I was initiated into my club, there were like 4-5 guys there who were current or former members of Danvers who were bailing out.

Danvers is fine if you want to listen to someone give you shit the whole time you're there.
The facility is nice , the bullshit that goes with it , not so much.

Georgetown is good.
Nothing fancy , but you have all the basics, pistol , rifle, midrange ,and trap ranges.
Was there this afternoon and not a soul around but us.

Join Hamilton. Perfect place for a new shooter. Relaxed, no frills, never busy, and, in my experience, all great guys. Be responsible, play by the rules, have some fun.

I’m in Marblehead and have been going to Cape Ann. Was a member of Danvers, but left due to the FUDDS and RO BS. Planning on joining Cape Ann as I like to bring guests with me, and it seems Hamilton isn’t very open to that from what I’ve been told/read.

Im in MHD too and HW is easy to get to.
Contrary to written policy, they welcome guests as the goal of the club is to maximize gun lovers in MA.
Super low key, almost always empty and nice people.
Im happy to take you there so you can check it out.

geez if anyone knows why GOAL still has this listed Northshore Redmen Rifle & Pistol I would be interested as I should still have a lifetime membership from the 80's valid

As a member of DFG can confirm its full of far too many old FUDDS that need to retire to the nursing home. With the exception of the pin range, as shooting steel, pistols, and more than 1 round every 10 seconds scares off most of the fudds.

I was an RO at the Outdoor range at Danvers for a little over year and a half, member for close to 4 years.
The Fuddery reached an all time high when they caved in on the No-Blue-Sky bullshit. That was my breaking point.

I was an RO at the Outdoor range at Danvers for a little over year and a half, member for close to 4 years.
The Fuddery reached an all time high when they caved in on the No-Blue-Sky bullshit. That was my breaking point.

I have a friend who's a member.
I wouldn't last a day.
Some idiot started screaming at his grandson because his foot was within a couple of inches of the white line.
Not over it mind you , just close.
Call it a character flaw, but people like that I go out of my way to go off on.

Im not a member but Andover is a nice club. a couple of lame rules but lots of clubs have some quirky rules.

Indoor range is one of the nicest private indoor ranges out there. They also seem to be spending money on the club and expanding it which is a good sign.

I have a friend who's a member.
I wouldn't last a day.
Some idiot started screaming at his grandson because his foot was within a couple of inches of the white line.
Not over it mind you , just close.
Call it a character flaw, but people like that I go out of my way to go off on.

Myself, I chose not to apply to DFG, but in their defense my understanding is the club was founded out in the middle of nowhere back in the day. 114 was built up around it including a daycare that abuts (or is at least in close proximity to) the club and they have to now deal with "concerned neighbors". Not sure how much that has to do with the rules and amount of no-fun-allowed type stuff going on there, but it sucks to have the area change around you over the years and now youre the bad guy that has to bend over backwards to avoid b.s. from others.

eta- probably shouldnt of replied to this particular post as some a-hole screaming at a kid has nothing to do with anything I was talking about regarding the surrounding area.

Last edited:
Myself, I chose not to apply to DFG, but in their defense my understanding is the club was founded out in the middle of nowhere back in the day. 114 was built up around it including a daycare that abuts (or is at least in close proximity to) the club and they have to now deal with "concerned neighbors". Not sure how much that has to do with the rules and amount of no-fun-allowed type stuff going on there, but it sucks to have the area change around you over the years and now youre the bad guy that has to bend over backwards to avoid b.s. from others.

eta- probably shouldnt of replied to this particular post as some a-hole screaming at a kid has nothing to do with anything I was talking about regarding the surrounding area.

I do understand protecting a club from issues.
There's always a asshat or two that seem bound and determined to get the place shut down.
The problem is that the RSO job seems to draw a few too many chest puffing dillholes.

Looking for a rod/gun club to join (getting sick of driving to Salisbury) Have heard various things about Danvers, Ham/wen and Ipswich, but figured I'd ask the experts. Pros/cons? Is there somewhere else I should be considering? Thanks in advance.

As many others have said, Andover Sportsmen's Club. The club is professionally ran with well maintained facilities. There are a number of free training courses available to members and Sunday breakfast is great too! I have been a member and visited 2 other clubs on the North Shore and Andover gets my vote for all categories.

Last edited:
I do understand protecting a club from issues.
There's always a asshat or two that seem bound and determined to get the place shut down.
The problem is that the RSO job seems to draw a few too many chest puffing dillholes.

I would think that being an RO is right up there with zoning board members and HOA's when it comes to attracting people who have the potential to be control freaks.

Hey All, much appreciated. I have heard good things about Andover from other friends, just feels like its a little too far away right now given my schedule. Interesting feedback about Danvers. On paper (the web) it looked like a good fit. Glad I asked. I met one of the guys from the Hamilton club at the Topsfiedl Fair this year and he seemed like a pretty low key guy. Think that might be a good fit for me to start with. Really do like this forum. it reminds me of the old Reel-Time site back 10 years ago. Thx.

I would think that being an RO is right up there with zoning board members and HOA's when it comes to attracting people who have the potential to be control freaks.

Your opinion couldn't be further from the truth, but you are still welcome to express it. All ROs I know are concerned about gun safety first so that there are no issues like the public range in Salisbury where muzzle sweeping is commonplace with some of the jerks that go there.

Are you over the age of 60 and crotchety? Danvers
Hidden gem? Hamilton.

Funny guy!

I'm a member at Cape Ann and it's a good club. 24/7 indoor range, 100 yard rifle, pistol pit, trap, archery etc. Don't need range officers present like at Danvers.

There's a reason for ROs as I posted in another thread. The combination pistol/rifle range is 280' long from the first station to the last one. On a busy day, there is no way for shooters to police themselves as they do at smaller ranges.

Ditto!

Never been to Danvers, but the RO thing killed it for me. Seemed like if you had a job, it would be a pain in the ass to find a time to shoot.

When I was initiated into my club, there were like 4-5 guys there who were current or former members of Danvers who were bailing out.

There is some element of truth here. The outdoor range doesn't stay open long enough on a weekday. However, progress is slowly being made as the outdoor range is open from 6-9 on Wed. and Fri. nights, although neighbors that weren't there when the club was started continue to complain about noise. For some events such as at Trap, we need to notify the Middleton police if we have an Trap event that starts before 9 am. It's not permission by the police; only notification.

As far as people leaving the club, in the past couple of years, the membership has grown from 1,800 to 2,400 members, but who is counting?

Danvers is fine if you want to listen to someone give you shit the whole time you're there.
The facility is nice , the bullshit that goes with it , not so much.

Georgetown is good.
Nothing fancy , but you have all the basics, pistol , rifle, midrange ,and trap ranges.
Was there this afternoon and not a soul around but us.

As I mentioned in another post, there was one bad RO that no longer works as an RO. Everyone else there is friendly, except for me! [laugh]

As a member of DFG can confirm its full of far too many old FUDDS that need to retire to the nursing home. With the exception of the pin range, as shooting steel, pistols, and more than 1 round every 10 seconds scares off most of the fudds.

I'm certain that I met you at the club once. That's a funny comment without any truth - "more than 1 round every 10 seconds." [rofl]

I guess that your breaking point is set at a very low threshold. The club was forced into "No Blue Sky" due to a bullet hole in a new development that "supposedly" came from Danvers F&G. It was cheaper to build the No Blue Sky than it was to face lawsuits, and Danvers is not the first club forced to implement it.

Back
Top Bottom