• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for rifle advice

I am wanting to add a modern rifle to my US milsurp quiver. I want to go with a .308. My goals for the rifle not listed in order of relevance

1. .308 allows my reloading logistics to stay on a path with my .45 ACP and 30-06 needs
2. I shoot once a month known distance matches during the warm months (Massachusetts). These matches require iron sights and my chosen rifle will have iron sights (willing to go with quality BUIS or precision sights that attach to a top rail). My matches utilize prone, seated and offhand positions with a loop sling. I'm not concerned if the rifle meets "Service Rifle" specs. At some point in the not too distant future I will consider optics.
3. I am not a big fan of the AR. It lacks the soul of my steel and walnut milsurps but alas, I recognize that the AR system is a good one and it works.
4. The gun is meant to be a fun match gun but I also want it for its "Oh crap" potential.
5. My accuracy requirements far exceed my needs for its "oh crap" capabilities. For this reason I am more inclined to consider a DIGS over a piston

I have considered the SCAR H (piston), Knights SR (expensive, perhaps too much Indy car not enough street racer), M1A1 (great rifle but too close in design to my Garand will require more care over time to maintain accuracy), Armalite (hit or miss on its quality), Colts SP901 (will it ever come to market, when it does will my political masters allow me to buy it?).

Two rifles I am interested in that claim less than one MOA are

GAP-10 http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2011-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

and

Larue OBR http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-...zed-battle-rifle-complete-762-rifle-18-barrel

Anyone have any real time experience with either rifle and willing to comment/offer advice?

Anyone think I am way off base please offer me helpful advice on where I should be going with this.

Thank you,

Phil McLaine

No experience with the GAP or the Larue.
Personally, I'd get a DPMS. I guarantee it's just as accurate as the other two you linked and about half the price.

Back
Top Bottom