• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for recommendations for youth Trap gun

RLBreton

NES Member
My 11yo told me just now that he's interested in learning how to shoot trap\skeet. I don't do that at all, so any recommendations on a youth trap\skeet gun?

see if any local clubs have youth trap events,
a used 3901RL model is a good starter.
depending on his size
browning BPS micro ?

Last edited:
Go to your Club.

Talk to Trapezoids. Some may have (or had) kids that shot Trap. They may have an old gun, that your kid can try.

My opinion is that the heaviest semi-auto that they can handle is the best. Trap requires plenty of shooting, recoil becomes an issue.

My kid was 7 when he started to shoot. I had a 20 ga that I cut the stock down by 2". He started with that. At 9, he "graduated" to a full-size 12 (he's a big kid). This works for him. (He now runs a Browning 725)

It's not important what type of gun they shoot - only that it fits, and they can handle it comfortably.

If you're not a Trapezoid, go to the Trapezoids there, and see who is willing and able to teach your kid. Some coaching, at the start, will pay big dividends.

Hey Randy, my father started me with a Remington 1100 when I was 11-ish for trap. That shotgun is a bit unwieldy for skeet though. If you're interested, I'll loan you my BT-99 for a weekend, but it's a pretty large beast... and only good for Trap (single shot).

-chris

Hey Randy, my father started me with a Remington 1100 when I was 11-ish for trap. That shotgun is a bit unwieldy for skeet though. If you're interested, I'll loan you my BT-99 for a weekend, but it's a pretty large beast... and only good for Trap (single shot).

-chris

Browning makes the BT99 micro

There's another member on NES who is a coach on our team and set my son up with a Browning BT-99. We had some stock work done and it fits him well. He was able to shoot two 25's this year in just his 2nd season of trap with the BT-99 and we're quite happy with the gun. Simple to clean and operate.

It is a single barrel, however and he needs to use my Beretta for sporting clays. It's on the heavier side at around 8-9 lbs, so for a younger shooter it may be tough for shooting 200 clays. I think that Browning makes a "micro" version for kids. Also, there is no safety, so it's not a gun for the field.

Good luck to your son!!!

**EDIT**

Once you start shooting trap, you start to get dazzled by the guns at competitions at $5k and up. I love seeing the Perazzis, Krieghoffs, Ljutics, Cesar Guerini's, etc. and start looking at the classifieds but then realize that it is the indian and not the bow and arrow. You can get a kid started with something like the BT-99 for under $1,000 and they can shoot well. I think I got ours for around $900 brand new on GunBroker, but you need to shop around.

Some kids shoot the 1100, which is easier for younger shooters, but if he get serious about trap, he will tire of the semiauto. Break-opens are easier.

Last edited:
Dont make the mistake I did and pick up one of those "youth model" rossi 20 gauge single shot break opens. Its tempting because they are cheap.....like $150. They are light as hell and kick ****in HARD! My son was 10 when i did this and he was in tears after 10 shots. Spend a little money on a semi auto or heavy over under. If it hurts to shoot theyll hate it.

my son "recovered" and shoots an old a5 browning 12g now and hits in the 20s consistently.

enjoy the time on the trap field....i shoot a couple times a month with my boy and its economical shooting and good times!

Dont make the mistake I did and pick up one of those "youth model" rossi 20 gauge single shot break opens. Its tempting because they are cheap.....like $150. They are light as hell and kick ****in HARD! My son was 10 when i did this and he was in tears after 10 shots. Spend a little money on a semi auto or heavy over under. If it hurts to shoot theyll hate it.

my son "recovered" and shoots an old a5 browning 12g now and hits in the 20s consistently.

enjoy the time on the trap field....i shoot a couple times a month with my boy and its economical shooting and good times!

Very good....don't get caught in the 20g lighter gun thinking.
1oz target load is going to deliver more felt recoil out of a lighter gun.
12g also has some very light load options. AA lite. I load some pretty soft shooting loads.
7/8 oz shot running about 1000fps. Crushes clays.

My first shotty, which I still have, was a non-youth 20g Mossberg pump (Upland Game maybe? It has quail and pheasant engraved on the side). Busted many a clay as a kid with it, and still do on occasion. For me it was a perfect, recoil was fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom