• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for recommendations; Carry gun / holster.

Pocket carry, 6'2" 245lbs, either a S&W 442 or S&W 380 Bodyguard in a pocket holster. At times I'll carry a 2.5" S&W 686 plus in an OWB with a big stiff belt but it's not something I would enjoy doing all day. I also have an H&K P30SK and a kydex IWB holster which I am trying to get used to. I'm a big believer in DA triggers on carry pieces (DA/SA in the case of the H&K), call me paranoid ;-)

I'm a big believer in DA triggers on carry pieces (DA/SA in the case of the H&K), call me paranoid ;-)
I call you safety minded.
Let's assume you carry 250 days/year. At a minimum you handle the gun in the morning and evening. That's 500 times/year. In 10 years you have 5,000 opportunities to make a mistake handling the gun. Humans are imperfect, fallible creatures. Anything you can do to improve the odds is good.

I call you safety minded.
Let's assume you carry 250 days/year. At a minimum you handle the gun in the morning and evening. That's 500 times/year. In 10 years you have 5,000 opportunities to make a mistake handling the gun. Humans are imperfect, fallible creatures. Anything you can do to improve the odds is good.

So the Pope could carry without any risk!

That one does look comfortable. It looks like retension is good - can you hold it upside down and retain the gun? Retension seems like a limitation of the soft-back comfortable holsters.

I'd really like something that's comfortable in the car. Haven't found one yet.

I think it is very comfortable. The only real complaints I hear are related to retention. As in too much retention. You need twist the butt of the gun in towards your body a tiny bit to get it to release. With a little practice it's natural to me. The gun stays in the holster all the time. I get up, go to the safe, pick up the holstered gun and put it on. End of the day it goes back in the safe still holstered. It's gets unholstered at the range to shoot, at home to get cleaned or practice drawing and dry firing.

P938 and p238. iwb aliengear also came with a docking station for next to the bed. and then a sticky holster for the front pocket carry.

Tried carrying my new P225-A1. It's so heavy it feels like I have a giant boner in my pants. Kind of a cool feeling. Drags my pants down even with the good 1.5" belt. But I do love the feel of having a (nearly) full size gun.

I'm a big guy also and went from a vp9 to a g43 in an aliengear holster iwb at the 4-5oclock area and it's comfortable to me. I don't have much of a butt and sometimes have to hike up my pants but if I keep my belt on as it should be high and tight I carry everywhere and don't notice it anymore since switching to the smaller single stack.

I'm a bit on the large size. IWB hurts. OWB is uncomfortable. I usually carry a 1911 in a Miami Classic II shoulder holster. As long as it's cool enough to wear a jacket or over shirt, nobody will ever notice on a larger person. I can drive, sit, walk (I don't run), whatever with comfort. I do have a tie down on the mag carrier side to keep it in place.

IWB is good enough for me with a G19. There are days I have to do a tap to make sure it's still there. And while I'm less heavy than I used to be, no one would call me skinny. I use a Vega Holster.

Big fat dude? Beretta 92A1, M9A1, or 92FS Vertec.
Big guys should carry big guns. Especially if you have giant meat mitts.
Alien Gear makes pretty comfy and inexpensive IWB holsters, use those until you find another brand you like more.

I just saw N82s listed for holsters, and while they are pretty comfy, the metal clipped ones destroyed plenty of my polos as my 6’5” tall with 38” waist crammed into my Malibu every day and rubbed up against the seatbelt socket.
Splurge and get the kydex looking one with a plastic clip and save the shirts.

Back
Top Bottom