• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for recommendations; Carry gun / holster.

Finally got the restrictions removed from my LTC. Now I need a carry piece and holster. I am a big (fat) dude looking for something comfy and concealable. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay-

As always, go try a bunch and buy what you like and shoot the best.

A place like MFS is good because they let you try before you buy. Try as many as you can.

You have a few decisions to make. Revolver vs. pistol. How deeply concealed do you want it (OWB, IWB, pocket carry, ankle carry, thunderware,...). Do you have little Trump hands or big bear paws? Then of course there's caliber. Anything 9mm or larger is generally accepted as sufficient. If you already have a favorite caliber, why not make the carry gun the same.

The best thing you can do is find a range that rents guns and try a bunch.

This is probably just the first step in a long journey. If you carry regularly, within a few years you'll probably go through a few different guns and have as many holsters in your closet as the wife has purses. So, don't agonize too long over the first one.

Personally, I carry a LC9s. It gets little love on NES, but it's super reliable and has arguably one of the best out of the box triggers. It's a little small for my hands but adding a Hogue HandAll to the grip improved that. Mostly I carry IWB with a plastic, 1 clip holster. I like the safety aspect of this because can put on or take off the holster with the gun still in it. I go days without unholstering.

Get a good stiff belt. That makes all the difference in comfort, pants sagging, etc.

oh where do I begin.....

First find a gun that you can grip correctly, shoot accurately under pressure, get on target and get 2 rounds center mass, one you can tap rack and roll if needed, one you can do a mag change on in a hurry..... and once you do that and pick the one you are going to bring to the prom, then you can worry about the Tux.

I am not small by any means, and I have used everything from ankle holsters to shoulder rigs, IWB, outside the belt, thumb break, leather, kydex, retention.... the right sized pants worn at the waist with a good belt is the key. If you are a big guy and suffer from Dunlop disease, and wear your pants low, you are never going to get a good result as the weight of the gun will make your pants look like a inner city youts pants....

All I can add Is don’t skimp on the holster and belt (yes you need a gun belt too, it makes a huge difference). And don’t be afraid to buy a used gun, especially if you are like me and change you mind 27 times about what is the perfect carry gun.

I've got some of the typical pocket-sized and sub-compact sized guns that I've carried. I used to carry a holstered 1911 while in the service, and thought carrying a 1911 concealed would be more bothersome than it's worth. Nope. It's slim and very easy to grasp hold of. While it does have some heft, it's like a security blanket that lets you know it's there. Just something I didn't think much about doing, but I like it.

ETA: A good BELT is key.

I am a big (fat) dude looking for something comfy and concealable.
different answer than you expected, but... i'm a "big, fat dude" also. if you want to wear an iwb set up and be comfortable, the first rule is don't squeeze into a size smaller pants and belt than you really are. us big people do that you know. and i don't care what smaller folks say, cause you're big, you can't carry and conceal just anything...and be comfortable. i wear 5.11 tactical pants, not to be a cool operator, mainly because they have elastic stretch points in the two places one would normally carry a pistol iwb making it very easy to go the day without being consciously aware your gun is there and digging into your side.

that said, as i gained weight i had to think smaller size pistol...to be comfortable. goodbye glocks, hello 9mm shield. not saying that's the way for you to go, it just works for me right now. as some others have said, i think it would be wise to try some different ones and that's hard to do unless you really know someone with a few different carry guns. you did mention comfort and i doubt mfs will let you holster a gun and walk around the facility for a few hours to see how well you carry it comfortably. going to be trial an error for comfort at our size.

awful hard to recommend a gun and holster to someone. i use the galco kydex iwb holsters. i went to kydex cause the holster doesn't collapse when i remove the gun, makes for easier re-holstering. most of us big guys have a habit of cinching our belts too tight and trying to get back into a flat holster is almost impossible.

just my thoughts on being bigger than most and trying to carry with ease and comfort. it might help a little. :)

OK.... more free advice that is worth what you paid for it...

Model 36 or 60 S&W revolver with 2 speed strips in your pocket.

I am not a fan of the airweights and hammerless models ( I had a 642 and hated it, got a model 60 and love it)

1) that gun goes bang every time

2) most self defense shootings are less than 5 shots and at close distance.

3) you can cheat and put Crimson Trace grips on it and get a better grip and aim, or just larger grips ( I have oversized grips on mine)
do not get lazy and rely on lasers though, if they fail and you can't shoot off the front sight in a hurry you are FUBAR'd

4) there are probably more holsters made for that J frame than any other revolver ever made.

5) you can use +p loads for carry but some of them are not happy with a steady diet of them.

6) you can practice trigger discipline and sight picture with wad cutters or round nose lead to keep the cost down.

7) there are many good defensive rounds for that platform.

8) if you want something bigger, a Model 13 round butt short barrel is a nice gun, but the holster options are not as plentiful.
I carried one of those for years, before I went to a G17 in 1992, and before that it was the J frame

PS Congrats on getting unrestricted in a city that was notorious for " B Ramming" people

Finally got the restrictions removed from my LTC. Now I need a carry piece and holster. I am a big (fat) dude looking for something comfy and concealable. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay-

I'm a bit on the large size. IWB hurts. OWB is uncomfortable. I usually carry a 1911 in a Miami Classic II shoulder holster. As long as it's cool enough to wear a jacket or over shirt, nobody will ever notice on a larger person. I can drive, sit, walk (I don't run), whatever with comfort. I do have a tie down on the mag carrier side to keep it in place.

I'm a bit on the large size. IWB hurts. OWB is uncomfortable. I usually carry a 1911 in a Miami Classic II shoulder holster. As long as it's cool enough to wear a jacket or over shirt, nobody will ever notice on a larger person. I can drive, sit, walk (I don't run), whatever with comfort. I do have a tie down on the mag carrier side to keep it in place.
not condemning or flaming your choice of carry or post, mr. pipes, my friend :) but i'm gonna guess you ain't that "big." wearing a shoulder rig at say my size, 300+ lbs, is like wearing a bra all day. the frigging straps are digging into me all day. i've yet to encounter one that can be adjusted big enough for a portly gentleman to wear comfortably for any length of time. of course there are some exceptions and you've found one that works for you.

this is an interesting thread. a lot of smaller people, and i don't mean you, namedpipes, but small folks in general, tend to know best what big people can and cannot wear, in a well meaning way, and what guns bigger people can carry. as usual, it's for the individual to decide. me, sure i can carry anything. but be comfortable...nope.

Looking for Ideas so I can do my research. Yeah being a fat guy probably kills 85% of what I can find to fit properly or comfortable

not condemning or flaming your choice of carry or post, mr. pipes, my friend :) but i'm gonna guess you ain't that "big." wearing a shoulder rig at say my size, 300+ lbs, is like wearing a bra all day. the frigging straps are digging into me all day. i've yet to encounter one that can be adjusted big enough for a portly gentleman to wear comfortably for any length of time. of course there are some exceptions and you've found one that works for you.

this is an interesting thread. a lot of smaller people, and i don't mean you, namedpipes, but small folks in general, tend to know best what big people can and cannot wear, in a well meaning way, and what guns bigger people can carry. as usual, it's for the individual to decide. me, sure i can carry anything. but be comfortable...nope.

I'm 6'4", 260lbs. I'm not the giantest person around but definitely not on the smaller side.

With one tie down that rig is fairly comfortable. Not as comfortable as nothing, but not bad. I don't wear bras (not judging!) so I can't comment on that! ;)

IWB/OWB both aggravate me more that the shoulder rig.

I'm 6'4", 260lbs. I'm not the giantest person around but definitely not on the smaller side.

With one tie down that rig is fairly comfortable. Not as comfortable as nothing, but not bad. I don't wear bras (not judging!) so I can't comment on that! ;)

IWB/OWB both aggravate me more that the shoulder rig.

Sounds like everyone on NES needs to line up skinnyest to fattest so we can get to the bottom of where the cutoff is ....

Do we need to start specifying where we carry our fat in order to give recommendations also?

6' 4" 268, round middle section and large thighs

I pocket carry an LCR, or I have a small appendix holster that I put IWB at about 5 o'clock.

this is a good thread just for the reason other bigger people can give their thoughts and experience to someone of size who's asking advice. a smaller person has no clue what I've been through trying to find the right carry combo that's right for me. and the key word is comfort here. I've spent years and tons of money buying different things only to find out it doesn't work for a large person. even went the owb route but not exactly where I wanted to be.

if one more tiny person says to me because of my size i'm so lucky, I can carry anything, i'm gonna butt stroke them. o_O ok, nuff said, off the big boy soap box. :D

Sounds like everyone on NES needs to line up skinnyest to fattest so we can get to the bottom of where the cutoff is ....

Do we need to start specifying where we carry our fat in order to give recommendations also?

6' 4" 268, round middle section and large thighs

I pocket carry an LCR, or I have a small appendix holster that I put IWB at about 5 o'clock.

It's not impossible my stomach might be slightly out of proportion, but other than that I'm a frigging gorilla. Ok, a gorilla with arthritis, a bad back and pernicious flatulence.

eta: actually, gorillas in the picture books tend to have tummy's, so...

this is a good thread just for the reason other bigger people can give their thoughts and experience to someone of size who's asking advice. a smaller person has no clue what I've been through trying to find the right carry combo that's right for me. and the key word is comfort here. I've spent years and tons of money buying different things only to find out it doesn't work for a large person. even went the owb route but not exactly where I wanted to be.

if one more tiny person says to me because of my size i'm so lucky, I can carry anything, i'm gonna butt stroke them. o_O ok, nuff said, off the big boy soap box. :D

It was hilarious going to the Big and Tall store with my wife, I could not find a pair that was small enough for me. After trying to look and look my wife just nudged me and said "I think you need to buy pants at the regular people store, you are only tall from your belly button up." Apparently when they were designing my body they just took a normal person's legs and stuck a stretched out torso on it. In fairness, if I wear "trim fit" clothes from Duluth Trading thats means I am skinny RIGHT?

It's not impossible my stomach might be slightly out of proportion, but other than that I'm a frigging gorilla. Ok, a gorilla with arthritis, a bad back and pernicious flatulence.

eta: actually, gorillas in the picture books tend to have tummy's, so...

article-0-0CF00576000005DC-440_468x577.jpg

So you have short legs?

For the most comfort I'd recommend a single stack if aren't going revolver. Having been through a lot of holsters and a handful of carry guns my go to choice 90% of the time is a G43 in a N82 Tactical holster. I like the comfort of it and the one attachment point so I can easily move the holster forward or back a bit or change the cant as I do things like sit down int eh car etc. I am not as big of a fan of the N82 holster on a double stack (I have one for my G19 that I use) as it adds a touch more thickness to the overall package.

Definitely get a good sturdy belt as well. The other holsters that get a lot of love here is the crossbreed.

So so many options, and so many handguns over the years . . . . but in the end, the huge % of the time it's a S&W 442 in a pocket holster (Blackhawk size 3) for daily carry
Comfortable, concealable, reliable

For the most comfort I'd recommend a single stack if aren't going revolver. Having been through a lot of holsters and a handful of carry guns my go to choice 90% of the time is a G43 in a N82 Tactical holster. I like the comfort of it and the one attachment point so I can easily move the holster forward or back a bit or change the cant as I do things like sit down int eh car etc. I am not as big of a fan of the N82 holster on a double stack (I have one for my G19 that I use) as it adds a touch more thickness to the overall package.

That one does look comfortable. It looks like retension is good - can you hold it upside down and retain the gun? Retension seems like a limitation of the soft-back comfortable holsters.

I'd really like something that's comfortable in the car. Haven't found one yet.

I am a pretty big guy. Not fat, but by no means thin. About 250lbs and 6'1" pretty wide through the shoulders. My favorite way to carry is OWB and my favorite carry gun is a 229. I skip the belt loop at 3 o'clock and I can simply adjust my firearm for comfort. Slide rearward when driving, forward to reduce printing. Weight is relative. I have been carrying a 5" Colt 1911 for a few weeks and when I strapped on my Sig it felt like it wasn't there.
Untucked button down and it conceals very well.
Also carry in a Miami Classic II and really like that too. I really like carrying a big gun when possible. In the heat of the summer it is a PM9 IWB or in a pocket holster.

The biggest fattest man I know that CC runs a revoler in pocket and at one time had a small set up o his suspenders.

I'm 6' even, 250lbs. Definitely overweight, but I wouldn't say I'm fat fat.

For holsters, I strongly recommend Alien Gear. I IWB my Kahr PM9 at about 4:30 in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 during summer. I carry my VP9 in exactly the same setup. I have 0 problems with either and both are equally comfortable. I also occasionally pocket carry the PM9 (in a pocket holster, naturally) and have no trouble with that, either. I have OWB carried my VP9 in an Alien Gear Cloak Mod without much trouble, but it's difficult to conceal without a good jacket. Works fantastic when hunting, though.

As for belts: I've got a Hanks that I wear when I have to dress up (and I still IWB carry with my dress shirt tucked in over the gun), and an Amerihide I wear daily. Both are excellent belts.

6' 1" 250. pretty decent spare tire. I swear I'm going to get rid of it, right after the Holidays. Like everybody else I've got a drawer full of leather and plastic. Pretty partial to the N82, wear one a lot with a 3" gun under a polo or T shirt. Garret OWB arriving tomorrow (or so) but right now my fave for the Commander happens to be an old Galco Combatmaster. Wearing a coat of some sort from here on in, so concealment isn't an issue. So old that when I dragged it out of the bottom of the drawer I had to scrub the mold off. The biggie for me is sitting in the car, and this one rides high enough. Can't really reholster one handed, but God forbid that's ever necessary, that might not be the first concern. Much more comfy than the hard plastic though. Plush even.

Back
Top Bottom