Looking for real world info on two suppressors...

I believe I saw, on the DA site, that the mounts they make are standard thread. So you can swap out what's used to mount them. At least the Nomad does. Pretty sure the Sandman does too. If I go with all DA key-mo mounts on my builds (where needed) I could always get one of the bases to go onto a different can.

Yup, Key-Mo to HUB adapter: KeyMo Adapter | Dead Air Silencers

KeyMo is welded on the Sandman.

@JRT, From what I've been able to dig up, so far, the Nomad L appears better. Wondering what would be a better mounting option that the key-mo. I don't want to fully thread onto barrels, since I want to have muzzle devices on them.

If it means I need to spend more $$ to get a suppressor I'll be very happy with, for the long haul, I'm willing to do that (not skin flinting here). I've not [yet] ordered the MD I've been thinking about, so I won't have something else sitting in a container after I change over the items that are going to be setup for use with the can.

@JRT, From what I've been able to dig up, so far, the Nomad L appears better. Wondering what would be a better mounting option that the key-mo. I don't want to fully thread onto barrels, since I want to have muzzle devices on them.

If it means I need to spend more $$ to get a suppressor I'll be very happy with, for the long haul, I'm willing to do that (not skin flinting here). I've not [yet] ordered the MD I've been thinking about, so I won't have something else sitting in a container after I change over the items that are going to be setup for use with the can.
I'm mostly a direct thread everything guy. I have the Nomad L and its a good silencer, as noted by somebody upstream you will want to tune gas sensitive and over gassed rifles.

I don't like true QD like KeyMo, every silencer I've seen go downrange was KeyMo or ASR, its not that hey are bad but people can make mistakes mounting the can. I use Dead Air Xeno, its faster than direct thread, uses a taper for a good hookup and it left hand threaded. Its really good and still reasonably fast.

I would look at Xeno now that you’re looking into Hub mounts/cans. But there are a lot of hub options out there. I like Keymo it’s been rock solid for me for my Sandman's. but I also run YHM, Griffin Taper, Surefire. Xeno will be my next try for my Hub compatible cans.

Since I have plenty of time to decide, I'll keep the Xeno mounts in mind. Wondering if I should get one can for 5.56 and another for the 308 systems. Good thing I'm looking at post move for this. Especially since the potential spend just went UP. ;)

I never say no to more cans. Other than the Sandman the rest of my 556 rifles wear 556 cans. 30 cal rifles wear 30 cal cans and on up. I personally don’t like swapping cans around. I sight my platform in with the can and they stay together.

I'm not earning enough (currently) to get one can per firearm. Not to say I won't eventually get there, but it ain't happening for at least a while.

I never say no to more cans. Other than the Sandman the rest of my 556 rifles wear 556 cans. 30 cal rifles wear 30 cal cans and on up. I personally don’t like swapping cans around. I sight my platform in with the can and they stay together.

What are your thoughts on the Surefire Socom556 RC2?

How about the Surefire Socom 762-RC2. Looks like that's one that's listed for 'multiple caliber' use (under the 'quieter' category).

I need to look at what the Surefire QD method brings to the table as well. The muzzle devices for that are on the higher end of the $$ spectrum. But if they have added benefits that make them worth it, so be it.

What are your thoughts on the Surefire Socom556 RC2?
I like it for what it is. It does everything it was designed to do. It has the classic look(it is such an old design). Which is badass imo. I bought it as a heavy use can I will beat the crap out of it and it will keep going. But imo there are newer better designs now for as much as this unit costs. The lack of solid seal around the muzzle device is my biggest gripe. having my support hand turn black every time I run it bugs me but isn’t a show stopper.

If I didn’t already have one and directly want a RC2 for a clone etc. I would avoid the Surefire for todays newer cans.

I like it for what it is. It does everything it was designed to do. It has the classic look(it is such an old design). Which is badass imo. I bought it as a heavy use can I will beat the crap out of it and it will keep going. But imo there are newer better designs now for as much as this unit costs. The lack of solid seal around the muzzle device is my biggest gripe. having my support hand turn black every time I run it bugs me but isn’t a show stopper.

If I didn’t already have one and directly want a RC2 for a clone etc. I would avoid the Surefire for todays newer cans.
Are you running a warcomp?

I may have jumped the gun since I have a Surefire 3 prong flash hider pinned and welded onto my 14.5" DD m4a1 SOCOM upper. At the time I just wanted wanted a cool flash hider to take it over 16" but now I am considering a suppressor.

I may have jumped the gun since I have a Surefire 3 prong flash hider pinned and welded onto my 14.5" DD m4a1 SOCOM upper. At the time I just wanted wanted a cool flash hider to take it over 16" but now I am considering a suppressor.

The Surefire 5.56 RC2 does really well on a gas gun, you can’t go wrong with the RC2. It’s not the quietest on a gas gun but it does well. You just need the labyrinth seals on the mount and the three prong should have them. Never use a Warcomp, they are horrible with a silencer.

You didn’t jump the gun. On that platform the RC2 will be great, you’ll love it. I’m currently running my RC2’s on a 11.5” and a 14.5” on closed time flash hiders so I don’t have the seals. You’ll be better off than I am.

I got my Sandman-S out of jail two weeks ago and so far have been very happy with it.
Like you I plan on using this on several 5.56 guns as well as a 6.5 creedmoor and eventually a 300 as soon as I get off my ass and build one so this is a do-all can since I won’t be able to buy multiple rifle suppressors right now.

Most my shooting is with SBR’s so the sandman will take abuse as will many others. I can’t speak first hand of it but the Nomad30 is also highly recommended, a little lighter but uses a different mounting option. You need to decide what mounting options is best for you.
Surefire makes nice suppressors and I know a few guys who have them. The mounting option is OK but they also seem to have the most suppressors that people have to shoot off when they get stuck. Maybe it’s just that people post it more when it happens but Surefire solution is to shoot it off. Dead Air’s solition to the keymo is to take an adjustable wrench and turn it to overpower the ratcheting system.

As far as muzzle devices the Dead Air flash hiders are amazing. Even under nods they are better than most. Just don’t get the sons of liberty NOX. That thing sucks.

Don’t get too hung up on quick attach/detach, realistically how often will you move around a scalding hot suppressor. Keymo is great but that would be low on the priority list. Go on Amazon and buy a 18” square welders blanket for $10 and then you can handle a hot suppressor.

I’ve been shooting this every time I get an hour to go to the range as well as a friends Sandman-L.
Unless you’re putting it on a bolt gun (or any benched gun) the L series is too long and heavy in my opinion.

I’ll definitely recommend the sandman-s because it’s what I have but next for me would have been the Nomad.
What I looked at in order of priority was
-one suppressor for many hosts and calibers,
-something that can take a little abuse but not purposely destructive,
-manufacturer and warranty,
-sound,
-Mounting options,
-weight,

Unless you have testing equipment like PEW SCIENCE does you won’t have adequate ways to test the sound decibel. Best you will be able to tell is what sounds better (to you) side by side with multiple options.

Last edited:
@steve8140 I'm thinking the Nomad (either 30 or L) with the Xeno mounts would be a solid choice. Need to look for real world info on the muzzle break they have. It's not directional like most I know of. Due to how it's designed to work with their suppressors (or any you add that mounting system to). Added benefit is the HUB piece is cheaper, so it can be added to more suppressors made by other companies (if they have that same thread pattern).

I'm probably a year (or more) away from starting my suppressor habit. I talked with a FFL earlier today (getting a couple of lowers that are SBR embryos) and mentioned my concern about what moving during the tax stamp process could do. General advise is to make sure your address won't change during the process. Easy enough for me. Pretty confident that I'd get the SBR stamps back well within time.

@steve8140 I'm thinking the Nomad (either 30 or L) with the Xeno mounts would be a solid choice. Need to look for real world info on the muzzle break they have. It's not directional like most I know of. Due to how it's designed to work with their suppressors (or any you add that mounting system to). Added benefit is the HUB piece is cheaper, so it can be added to more suppressors made by other companies (if they have that same thread pattern).

I'm probably a year (or more) away from starting my suppressor habit. I talked with a FFL earlier today (getting a couple of lowers that are SBR embryos) and mentioned my concern about what moving during the tax stamp process could do. General advise is to make sure your address won't change during the process. Easy enough for me. Pretty confident that I'd get the SBR stamps back well within time.

You can move in-state all you want with a form 4 pending, you just fill out the 4473 with your new address. If you are moving between states that’s a problem, you would cancel the form 4 and start over in the new state.

You can move in-state all you want with a form 4 pending, you just fill out the 4473 with your new address. If you are moving between states that’s a problem, you would cancel the form 4 and start over in the new state.
I've had trouble when my new address isn't reflected on my DL for 4473's. IME, easier to just get that taken care of too. I'm OK with waiting for the first can.
Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll no longer be NFA items when I'm ready. [rofl2]

I've had trouble when my new address isn't reflected on my DL for 4473's. IME, easier to just get that taken care of too. I'm OK with waiting for the first can.
Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll no longer be NFA items when I'm ready. [rofl2]
If it weren't for the NFA BS to deal with, I'd own several cans already.

If it weren't for the NFA BS to deal with, I'd own several cans already.
Fwiw for Silencer shop made it too easy imo. I setup an account. Took a mugshot of myself with my cellphone and uploaded it to the account. Hit a shop with one of their kiosks and scanned my prints in. Then bought a unlimited singleshot trust from them(worth it if you’ll be buying more than 5 items). Now all I need to do when I see something instock on the site that I want, I toss that and a tax stamp in my cart and check out. They email me with the docusign link for the trust and I sign on my cellphone. Done until it’s time to certify with my dealer for the eform, that I do from my laptop. After that I forget I bought it for 6-10 months until I see that lovely caller ID pop up on my cell from my dealer with the “We got a stamp in for you”. It may sound like a lot but it’s stupidly easy and has successfully drained my fun money account in perpetuity.

Fwiw for Silencer shop made it too easy imo. I setup an account. Took a mugshot of myself with my cellphone and uploaded it to the account. Hit a shop with one of their kiosks and scanned my prints in. Then bought a unlimited singleshot trust from them(worth it if you’ll be buying more than 5 items). Now all I need to do when I see something instock on the site that I want, I toss that and a tax stamp in my cart and check out. They email me with the docusign link for the trust and I sign on my cellphone. Done until it’s time to certify with my dealer for the eform, that I do from my laptop. After that I forget I bought it for 6-10 months until I see that lovely caller ID pop up on my cell from my dealer with the “We got a stamp in for you”. It may sound like a lot but it’s stupidly easy and has successfully drained my fun money account in perpetuity.
That's a far cry from walking into a gun shop with a fist full of cash and walking out with a suppressor.

That's a far cry from walking into a gun shop with a fist full of cash and walking out with a suppressor.
You speak the truth. I used to live in Downtown Boston so the hoops I had to jump through to get my LTC-A set the difficulty bar for me. For me, these steps were child’s play once I moved to NH.

I haven’t gone the silencer shop way and don’t know if I will. My dealer does all the prints and photos, uploads my trust and takes care of the whole process. Couldn’t be easier for myself and my other responsible person.

I haven’t gone the silencer shop way and don’t know if I will. My dealer does all the prints and photos, uploads my trust and takes care of the whole process. Couldn’t be easier for myself and my other responsible person.

My FFL is equally capable. The issue is a lot of shops are owned by computer illiterate boomers and silencer shop is the only way into the game.

Maine Military Supply took care of the efile, digital prints and picture.
I did not bother using my trust for it. I don’t think the trust is worth some of the effort anymore.

I did not bother using my trust for it. I don’t think the trust is worth some of the effort anymore.
I need to look at setting up the trust and such more. As I mentioned earlier, I'm probably looking to get two (or three) SBR stamps soon (depends on the ATF pistol brace ruling not getting killed off). Then getting a can post move (hopefully next summer). I could see getting more cans over the years after that. Maybe use bonus/tax return $$ for those. Using tax returns to pay for a tax stamp kind of seems fitting somehow. Even though the taxes are all BS anyway.

Last edited:
Unless you will always live alone or be the only person to ever access your safe a trust is absolutely worth it. As an individual, you are the sole entity who can have access and control the NFA items unless you’re present.

With a trust I can leave my NFA item all over the house and don’t need to worry about anything (not that anyone ever seems to get in legal trouble for having access to someone else’s NFA items). My wife is a responsible person and can do what she wants, go to the range without me or whatever else.

If I decide to later I can remove people or add people who could then take possession. It’s also a simple way to pass on items if something happens to me by having beneficiaries.

Other then the cost of creating a trust which can be $50-500+ I don’t see any real downfalls of a trust. I see several issues with filing as a individual in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom