Looking for real world info on two suppressors...

Golddiggie

NES Member
I'm starting my trek towards getting a suppressor (or two). Right now I'm looking at the Dead Air Sandman S and Sandman L models. From some info I got direct, they recommend the Sandman S for my use case(s).

I'll be looking to use the unit on:
Shorter barrel 5.56 (10" +/-)
Shorter barrel 300 Blackout (10.5")
5.56 carbine (16")
300 Blackout carbine (16")
308 Winchester shorter (12.5") and rifle (18")

From their info, I'll be able to use the same suppressor across all of these just need to get the mounting muzzle devices for all and install them (easy enough). After looking at what Silencer Shop has posted (videos) it looks like the Sandman L does better on subsonic 300 Blackout rounds (compared with the S model).

So, does anyone have either of these two models and has run them on different rifles? Going from 160+ db down to the 130's would be nice.

I'm already looking to swap out the gas block on the 300 Blackout uppers for adjustable ones. I might even go with a piston conversion on the shorter upper. I can see, in the future, getting cans for my 10/22 as well as Stribog (sp9a3). Depending on future firearm purchases, I might even get more use out of those.

For the whole tax stamp crapfestival. I'm leaning towards setting up a full trust (not a one shot item). I need to do some more investigation on that though. With the delays I'm hearing about for the stamp to get approved, I'll probably do this after I move next year (or decide if that looks like it's going to be moved further out). I don't want to move and have to deal with any BS around my address changing to get the units. I'm already looking at doing the stamp for a couple of SBR's (also from what I'm hearing, those come in faster) I'll be building. The SBR builds is one of the reasons I'm thinking of doing the regular trust. Since that means I'll be doing at least three tax stamps, possibly four (depends on if the atf[ers] get smacked-down over their pistol brace FFest).

I have a Sandman S that I run on a 11.5” 556 really love how that sounds. Friend liked it so much he bought a Sandman S for his 10.5” 556. I also have a Sandman L on a 10” x39 Mk47 and another Sandman S on a bolt action 16” 300blk. On the 16” 300blk it has some frp but is better after that with subsonics. I wouldn’t bother with the Sandman L honestly it weighs a ton throwing it over the usability threshold imo. Sandman S is just about right while still on the heavy side. You could look at a Nomad30 or even a Nomad L for the 300blk as that would probably sound better than the Sandman on that host. My Nomad is currently on my 30-30 and it does sound great on there. I’m building a 10” 300blk so may run the Nomad L on that platform.

Forgot to add I also run a 16” x39 bolt action with a Sandman S and am building out a 16” 308 scout rifle as another Sandman host.

My one suggestion is finding one that 'locks' into place when you put it on. The one I picked up screws on but doesn't have any kind of locking mechanism. I was concerned about over tightening it, but next time I take it out I'll really cinch it down.

Now I'm giving a serious look at the Nomad L... Few bucks more since I'll want to add the QD (keymo) adapter to the base of it. That way I can start getting muzzle devices now that will work with whichever suppressor I end up getting. At least for those items.

Good thing I have time on my side (currently). It will help me to decide. It would be great if I could locate someone with either that I could choot... ;)

My one suggestion is finding one that 'locks' into place when you put it on. The one I picked up screws on but doesn't have any kind of locking mechanism. I was concerned about over tightening it, but next time I take it out I'll really cinch it down.
Dead Air has their key-mo (or keymo) setup. You install a muzzle device (either comp or flash hider) and it's a simple process to lock it into place. Less than one rotation and it locks/unlocks from the item. This is one of the features that drew me to them. Plus I recall watching vids of others running them and they seemed to enjoy it. Although, how can you NOT enjoy running something suppressed??

I own a sandman L and sandman K

ill share a secret with you: the key to suppressing a 5.56 round is barrel length and tuning the gas. it’s all about lengthening the time the bolt stays locked. Shorter barrels result in expanding gas hitting the suppressor AND earlier unlocking causing more “port pop.”

i barely use my sandman L. It’s too long. Better route for max suppression is to increase the can diameter like a dead air Nomad or a Q half nelson. my suggestion would be to ditch dead air and just get a YHM resonator K. It’s a 30 cal that is a do-all and works great for like half the price. If you really want a sandman I’d suggest the K or S.

definitely setup a trust. It’s not hard. Jeff Bussell (red dog legal) was great he helped me with mine. Recommend.

Last edited:
I'm hoping they become legal in Massachusetts.

< Sorry for the Thread Jack >

You got me all excited!
I’m with you 100%

Between my hearing loss and pissed off neighbors… I love to use a simple solution to the problem but The ones complaining probably don’t want me to own a suppressor in the first place.

So f*** them I guess.

I really can’t contribute to a discussion on suppressors. I’ve done some research but it’s just a Theoretical study.

can i have more details about this gun pls? id love a 300blk tikka with a can.

I went Ruger American Ranch was trying to build a quiet back yard pest control setup. Went this route because the rifle reviews great for the price and it took AR mags. I run it with Lancer 300blk mags now because their Tan baseplates match the gun so I don’t confuse the wrong mags with it. I honestly did not plan to color match this I had planned this can for another 556 host. Was just too perfect so they are together now. 4DB0CB67-5759-41F7-B460-A85C1398E8AF.jpeg

Dead Air has their key-mo (or keymo) setup. You install a muzzle device (either comp or flash hider) and it's a simple process to lock it into place. Less than one rotation and it locks/unlocks from the item. This is one of the features that drew me to them. Plus I recall watching vids of others running them and they seemed to enjoy it. Although, how can you NOT enjoy running something suppressed??
That's looking for a baffle strike. I've seen it happen. You want direct thread. Jack.

some article was saying to look at the coastal gun xds for the 5.56 setup, and sandman was suggested for the 30cal.
found it:

I'm hoping they become legal in Massachusetts.

< Sorry for the Thread Jack >

You got me all excited!

But if they become legal in MA, people will be having pistol duals in the brand new MBTA like a John Wick movie. Also, it will ruin anti gun people logic:

Guns are too loud in outdoor ranges!!!

Can I have a suppressor then?

No.

I was unhappy with conventional suppressors on my bullpups and SBRs - too much blowback and buildup. OSS (now HUXWRX) has some nice cans that throw more sh*t forward than in your gun and face. With subsonic 300ACC I can shoot w/o hearing-pro - I can actually hear the action cycling.

I was unhappy with conventional suppressors on my bullpups and SBRs - too much blowback and buildup. OSS (now HUXWRX) has some nice cans that throw more sh*t forward than in your gun and face. With subsonic 300ACC I can shoot w/o hearing-pro - I can actually hear the action cycling.

That was a slight concern for me. On my PCC 9mm the blowback makes the gun not fun to play with.
The Sig 7.62QD only has 50% blowback per a couple of articles I read and was developed for the military for just that reason.
I’m waiting for it to get out of jail.

I didn't understand the hype behind shooting a suppressed 300blk with subsonic ammo. Shot a friends daniel defense with integrated suppressor. My pellet gun is literally louder. Amazing and now I want one.

Y
That's looking for a baffle strike. I've seen it happen. You want direct thread. Jack.
When you install the MD you index it as instructed. You install the can in a specific orientation to PREVENT any strikes.

NOT having exposed (or thread protectors installed) on all the barrels is more than a minor item. Not to mention how I'd have to swap out base caps to go between the 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 threaded barrels. Hell, I'd probably get a mount for my 6.5 Grendel build too (18" bbl). I don't make the kind of money I'd need to get one suppressor per build/upper.

Watched a video on the Nomad L last night. Looking for something with more data to it (like db readings) so I can do a better comparison. Either way the sound is nicer on the Nomad L compared with the Sandman S (not looking at the K).

After shooting suppressed I only shoot my carry handguns or unsuppressed hunting rifles with out a can. Especially on my 556 rifles it tames so much of the concussive blast it’s astounding.

Don’t get hung up on the DB ratings. If you’re looking at sound try to find info on Tone of the can. a louder but deeper tone could sound better to the ear than a quieter higher pitch impulse. for example on my 556’s my Sandman’s create more of a deep “thump” vs my RC2 and my Recce 5’s are even better on both counts.

Need to play the Sandman L video again. Then see if I can get the Nomad L video keyed up to play too. I did notice the type of sound changed between the different Sandman and different Nomad cans. I'm not an operator, so I don't need a smaller can to fit into tight spaces and such. ;)

One of the reasons I have for getting suppressors is for when I have a range on my property. Reducing the sound, as well as making it less harsh, will be of benefit all around. As also mentioned, reducing the concussive force from the muzzles will also be a big win. The blast from even my 5.56 carbine is no joke. Hell the 'flash hider' on the short 5.56 upper isn't a joke.

Need to get the ammo order placed. I added some 220gr 300 Blk subsonic rounds to this one. Want to see how they run in the uppers without any other changes.

edit:
Video of the Nomad L being run:

View: https://youtu.be/0NNFiar9HJY

Last edited:
Don’t discount 556 cans for 556 or smaller caliber platforms. 30cal is a great catch most. But if you can get multiple cans. IMO. get cans designed around the platform you want to run it on.

Now I'm giving a serious look at the Nomad L... Few bucks more since I'll want to add the QD (keymo) adapter to the base of it. That way I can start getting muzzle devices now that will work with whichever suppressor I end up getting. At least for those items.

Good thing I have time on my side (currently). It will help me to decide. It would be great if I could locate someone with either that I could choot... ;)

You want to shoot suppressed?

1663691146976.png

View attachment 664176

Forget the setup, but the front cap got hit. Jack.
End caps are changeable parts/items (at least on the Dead Air products).

I already asked about changing the end cap for the different calibers (7.62 vs 5.56). Difference of 1-2db for 5.56 if using the 7.62 end as opposed to using the 5.56 one.

I'd probably get the e-brake for the Dead Air suppressor (whichever model I end up with) too. For the benefits it offers.

kind of off topic but are there muzzle devices that will work with a variety of can manufacturers or are you stuck with one?
You’ll want to look at suppressors that use the common Hub thread in 1.375x24. That way atleast you can add the muzzle device and adaptor of your choosing and standardize with those. That is probably the best way I can think of. Suppressors with dedicated mounts make it more of a pain like the Surefire RC series.

I believe I saw, on the DA site, that the mounts they make are standard thread. So you can swap out what's used to mount them. At least the Nomad does. Pretty sure the Sandman does too. If I go with all DA key-mo mounts on my builds (where needed) I could always get one of the bases to go onto a different can.

Yup, Key-Mo to HUB adapter: KeyMo Adapter | Dead Air Silencers

I'm starting my trek towards getting a suppressor (or two). Right now I'm looking at the Dead Air Sandman S and Sandman L models. From some info I got direct, they recommend the Sandman S for my use case(s).

I'll be looking to use the unit on:
Shorter barrel 5.56 (10" +/-)
Shorter barrel 300 Blackout (10.5")
5.56 carbine (16")
300 Blackout carbine (16")
308 Winchester shorter (12.5") and rifle (18")

From their info, I'll be able to use the same suppressor across all of these just need to get the mounting muzzle devices for all and install them (easy enough). After looking at what Silencer Shop has posted (videos) it looks like the Sandman L does better on subsonic 300 Blackout rounds (compared with the S model).

So, does anyone have either of these two models and has run them on different rifles? Going from 160+ db down to the 130's would be nice.

I'm already looking to swap out the gas block on the 300 Blackout uppers for adjustable ones. I might even go with a piston conversion on the shorter upper. I can see, in the future, getting cans for my 10/22 as well as Stribog (sp9a3). Depending on future firearm purchases, I might even get more use out of those.

For the whole tax stamp crapfestival. I'm leaning towards setting up a full trust (not a one shot item). I need to do some more investigation on that though. With the delays I'm hearing about for the stamp to get approved, I'll probably do this after I move next year (or decide if that looks like it's going to be moved further out). I don't want to move and have to deal with any BS around my address changing to get the units. I'm already looking at doing the stamp for a couple of SBR's (also from what I'm hearing, those come in faster) I'll be building. The SBR builds is one of the reasons I'm thinking of doing the regular trust. Since that means I'll be doing at least three tax stamps, possibly four (depends on if the atf[ers] get smacked-down over their pistol brace FFest).

The Sandman is kind of shit tier as far as silencers go, it’s best quality is it’s hard use. If you want to mag dump a 8 inch barrel 5.56 full auto get a sandman. They suck at suppressing 5.56, they are heavy and you’re locked into one of the worst QD systems in KeyMo.

If you like Dead Air I’d look at the Nomad series. You have modern coaxial baffles, its exponentially better at suppression than the sandman, it’s lighter and uses the HUB mount so you can pick any mounting system you like based off the standard 1.37x24

Back
Top Bottom