looking for quality kitchen knive sets

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I’ve used electric sharpeners, a Lansky, and Japanese stones. The quality of the edge they produced is in that order. Electric sharpeners suck, Lansky is better, Japanese stones and a strop is best. I’m not great with the stones and strop — I just watched some YouTube vids — and now I get a much better edge. YMMV.

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you actually know what angle it's putting on the knives? How about what angle the edge was from the maker?
yeah, 20 degrees.
I bought a second one for my kid as a present, and it was a newer model that did both 20 and 15 degrees.

Last edited:

abundigas

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My vote has to be Dexter-Russell Dexter-Russell, Inc.. Worked in Restaurants for many years everyone used them. I bought mine in 1999, have never "sharpened" them, I use the honing steel every time I use them, hand was and dry them, They are still razor sharp, and if need be Dexter will re-sharpen them for a small fee.

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do any of you use the honing steel? The only sharpening I've done is with the Lansky sharpener and it gets a shaving sharp edge on the blade but it's not something for a quick touch up at a minutes notice like if you're in the middle of something. There seems to be a ton of different steels to choose from and I would like to try one to see if I can actually do a quick touch up without making the blade worse. I have a good supply of the 6" Victorinox boning knives and would like to keep them nice.
Steels don’t belong in your kitchen (unless you are a butcher). Get a nice stone (like a King), and a fixer to keep it flat and you will be good to go.

Watch a few YouTube vids and practice on that crappy set of beaters you keep on the counter and you’ll get the hang of sharpening on a flat stone soon enough. Once you get the hang of it, and get your edges where they need to be, it is easy to keep them shaving sharp.

If you go into a high end restaurant kitchen, you aren’t going to catch a chef running a steel on his prized blades. They know the tools of their trade, how to use them, and how to care for them, and they (generally speaking) don’t use steels.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After waffling for some time, I finally bought a Misen. Not the chef's knife (I'm good on full length), but their mid-size 5.5" utility knife, which has a chef shape. It's made of AUS-10, with a 15 degree grind. Partial bolster, not full (easier to hone). It will fill a gap in my collection.

With the 25% Black Friday discount and $5 shipping, it was $38.25; I look forward to trying it out.

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Bradford Knives. Bradford USA

Not only does he make some of the best fixed blade camp knives in the Guardian Series, but his kitchen sets are amazing.

Here's the deal. You can't just go to the website and buy. He makes what he wants to make and then tells his email list what is available. Then it's first come first serve. It was a PIA, but the steak knives are well worth it.

He does all his work with Bohler M390. Very hard, very sharp, and holds an edge for a LONG time. I've demonstrated feather sticks for Scouts for several years now and the little 3" Guardian is still as sharp as when it was new.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I bought this gizmo from Russia. It took months to get it. They are built like a tank.

Something about it just appealed to me. It works really well. My grandkids and beyond will be able to use this beast.

1575397892041.png

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm always amazed at the level of knowledge here on NES. We're here for firearms but so many of us share diverse hobbies and interests.

If I'm being perfectly honest, and I am, firearms is not an inexpensive hobby. And we certainly have some folks with substantial means on here. But we also have folks from every walk of life. Lots of craftsmen, great blue collar workers who know their $hit, law enforcement, fire and EMT and so many more great folks. And somehow what binds us together is a subject that is taboo to so many... firearms.

I have made so many great friends from NES. From all walks of life. From all sorts of backgrounds. And I've gotta say a huge majority are really nice people and also quite smart. It seems inherent in the firearms enthusiast.

Thanks Derek and mods for this great meeting spot for a lot of wonderful people.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man...seeing that name Cutco...

I had a brief stint during my senior year of high school back in the 90's when I tried my hand at selling Cutco knives. The commission split seemed good at the time. However, the company is a little less than honest in the ways they suggest pitching their knives to people with all sorts of rigged tests that would show a customer that Cutco is superior to their existing knives. Like having someone trying to saw rope with a flat blade chef's knife (takes forever, particularly with how average people care for knives), then you cutting it in one pass with a micro serrated knife. Gave up on the gig after just one sale.

Anyway, I did like their sheers, but the knives were all stamped metal back then. Not sure about how they make them now, but still, you want a forged knife, not stamped. Gave the set to my parents. I think most people just don't remember what it's like having a sharp kitchen knife, so anything new is better from that vantage. My folks actually had a halfway decent set of Henkels, but probably never honed or sharpened them on over 25 years. Probably went into the dishwasher as well. So the Cutco must have seemed spectacular in comparison. Some people really like the grips though. I'm more traditional there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrolled through this thread and didn't see this posted yet. References to it, yes. The actual vid, no. My apologies if this is a dupe within the thread. If it's been posted, maybe I'm going blind.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzULnlHr8w

40 years ago or so, this commercial was epic.....on Saturdays on Channel 56.....while watching Creature Double Feature.

It was played often, as were a Maaco-type commercial that opened with a woman saying to a guy "you've got the uglies!" (referring to his car which needed a paint job); New England Brickmaster commercials featuring Caldor & Midas ("when Midas wanted to beauticize, they called us!"); I.T.T. Technical Institute commercials; and a commercial for some auto place in which a talking set of slip joint pliers was addressing a bunch of fidgety spark plugs ("you in the back, I want to talk to you....!")

If you spent weekends on Channel 56 thirty five to forty years ago, this stuff is burned into your mind. If you weren't around, then this commercial is just a taste of the cheesy awesomeness that you missed.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrolled through this thread and didn't see this posted yet. References to it, yes. The actual vid, no. My apologies if this is a dupe within the thread. If it's been posted, maybe I'm going blind.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzULnlHr8w

40 years ago or so, this commercial was epic.....on Saturdays on Channel 56.....while watching Creature Double Feature.

It was played often, as were a Maaco-type commercial that opened with a woman saying to a guy "you've got the uglies!" (referring to his car which needed a paint job); New England Brickmaster commercials featuring Caldor & Midas ("when Midas wanted to beauticize, they called us!"); I.T.T. Technical Institute commercials; and a commercial for some auto place in which a talking set of slip joint pliers was addressing a bunch of fidgety spark plugs ("you in the back, I want to talk to you....!")

If you spent weekends on Channel 56 thirty five to forty years ago, this stuff is burned into your mind. If you weren't around, then this commercial is just a taste of the cheesy awesomeness that you missed.
Was that during Movie Loft commercial breaks?

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we should start a seperate Dale Dorman, Dana Hersey, Willie Whistle thread.

In retrospect, I am not sure I have said Willie Whistle in my adult life and I am pretty sure no channel would not run something of that title as a children's show.
lol. Willie Whistle made an appearance at Ground Round/Natick and scared the crap out of my little sister back in the day. Like sheer terror screaming the entire time.

Something about Willie Whistle makes me think of Carvel and Fudgie the Whale. Probably ran a lot of spots during the showtime.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this gizmo from Russia. It took months to get it. They are built like a tank.

Something about it just appealed to me. It works really well. My grandkids and beyond will be able to use this beast.

View attachment 316086
A friend has one of those. It's what a Lansky should be, but isn't.

Unlike most sharpeners that use that concept, it's good for long blades without changing the angle over the length of the blade.

June4th

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I'm always amazed at the level of knowledge here on NES. We're here for firearms but so many of us share diverse hobbies and interests.

If I'm being perfectly honest, and I am, firearms is not an inexpensive hobby. And we certainly have some folks with substantial means on here. But we also have folks from every walk of life. Lots of craftsmen, great blue collar workers who know their $hit, law enforcement, fire and EMT and so many more great folks. And somehow what binds us together is a subject that is taboo to so many... firearms.

I have made so many great friends from NES. From all walks of life. From all sorts of backgrounds. And I've gotta say a huge majority are really nice people and also quite smart. It seems inherent in the firearms enthusiast.

Thanks Derek and mods for this great meeting spot for a lot of wonderful people.
Yes, NES has nicely evolved and I got to grow with it. When I joined in 2008'ish, I read up everything about gun laws, red/black towns and gun reviews. Now I check funny thread 5 times a day and shoot shit with friends virtual and real. Gun people are smarter, more industrious and generally much nicer than the gen-pop. This is the one and only 'Social Media' that works for me.

And to stay on topic, here's a decent video on how to use a Chinese cleaver. I find the weight and balance much more versatile than a typical chef's knife. A cleaver and a paring knife would be all I need to cook up a feast.

Reactions: ldi
Top Bottom