looking for quality kitchen knive sets

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have Cutco, Global and Lamson I prefer the Lamson. I know that both Cutco and Lamson give free lifetime sharpening and Cutco has a lifetime warranty on the blade for free replacements no questions asked Lamson may too. The Cutco's are amazingly sharp as well so point them in the right direction too. One of the reasons I prefer Lamson is you go out to the Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls stop at the Lamson Factory store buy a knife or two then head over to Floodwater Brewing Company and spend the rest of the day sampling the beer [thumbsup]

frenchman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The problem I see with the Wüsrhoff/Dreizack, the Globals, the Shun, is that they are all made with medium or large grip size. The Sabatiers and the more custom made santokus and kiridashis with octagonal grips are better suited for small to medium hands, which is what the OP was looking for.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There is a dexter russell factory outlet in southborough open a couple of days a week. Great deals on the knives you see in restaurant kitchens around the country.
Southbridge, not Southborough. Great knives. I have their block set with the wooden handles and am happy with it. Not the sexiest knives, but hold an edge well and made right here in MA.

peterk123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did not read through the whole thread but I will say that it comes down to your ability to keep a blade sharp. I do not like super hard steel because I cannot work them. Plus, whenever my wife gets hold of a blade, well lets just say she is not concerned with the surface she is cutting on. I have stones that I use by hand and I have one of those electric three stone sharpeners. As good as I am freehand, nothing beats that electrical sharpener. Sharpen often is my motto. Blades are disposable, although I have yet to sharpen any of my blades to death; yet.

Any knife can be very, very sharp. I have yet to find a blade that stays sharp through thick and thin. The ultimate test for me is the ability to slice a soft tomato very thin. $2000 knife or $2 knife.... just does not matter. If it ain't razor sharp, it ain't cutting it. Get a blade that you can sharpen yourself, whenever you need to.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
i agree lamson knives are the balls, and the code is still working this morning.
Henkles, global, and wustoff are great too.
I would go with a high carbon stainless blade, so that you do not have to handle them with kid gloves. Also i would get a steel to keep the edge straight, and a powered sharpener, like a Chef's Choice electric one for every month or two
Avoid the sharpeners like the chef's choice one like the plague!! They will ruin any decent blade due to how they actually 'work'. I had one for a while and would never advise anyone to get one. Unless you have some cheap ass blades you really don't care about and need to sharpen very often (since they're cheap ass blades).

Last edited:

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d echo what a couple others have said, skip the set. Pick up a few nice knives piecemeal.

Start with a nice chefs knife (Mcusta would be my pick), and build from there.

Keep the crappy set. Leave that block of crappy blades that everybody has on the counter, so guests and such don’t touch your good stuff.

Laderbuilt

NES Member
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
I own a set of Cutco knives had them for about 20 years. I’ve been extremely happy with them.
I’ve broken two due to negligence /abuse. They were replaced under warranty (though not the norm you pay 1/2 is normal).
free sharpening for life. Cost to shop to and from is very reasonable. Made in USA as well.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I recently tossed the knife block I had been using for about 20 years (maybe more) since it was showing too much wear. Picked up one that had a few more slots than I need (currently) and holds every blade in my current use rotation. I've actually given one of the knives I wasn't using to my nephew (a 6" utility for his GF to use when they make dinner). I still have one or two slots open in the block for additional knives if I ever add any more. I'm also thinking about retiring one of the meat slicing knives I have since I haven't used it in many years. IMO, it's too flexible for what I slice. My Shun Kaji has been my 'go to' slicer for well over a decade.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I’d echo what a couple others have said, skip the set. Pick up a few nice knives piecemeal.

Start with a nice chefs knife (Mcusta would be my pick), and build from there.

Keep the crappy set. Leave that block of crappy blades that everybody has on the counter, so guests and such don’t touch your good stuff.
I second the crappy second set in the open. Not so much for guests but for general BS that the 2 of us do.

ldi

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Since my grandfather gave me his war trophy I haven’t found anything better for every day use.
1575169244795.jpeg

deerdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do any of you use the honing steel? The only sharpening I've done is with the Lansky sharpener and it gets a shaving sharp edge on the blade but it's not something for a quick touch up at a minutes notice like if you're in the middle of something. There seems to be a ton of different steels to choose from and I would like to try one to see if I can actually do a quick touch up without making the blade worse. I have a good supply of the 6" Victorinox boning knives and would like to keep them nice.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Do any of you use the honing steel? The only sharpening I've done is with the Lansky sharpener and it gets a shaving sharp edge on the blade but it's not something for a quick touch up at a minutes notice like if you're in the middle of something. There seems to be a ton of different steels to choose from and I would like to try one to see if I can actually do a quick touch up without making the blade worse. I have a good supply of the 6" Victorinox boning knives and would like to keep them nice.
I steel my kitchen knives every single time I use them, four quick whisks down each side. I only need to sharpen once a year (if that), at which point I use the same ancient oilstone I use to sharpen everything else in my world. I got it a very long time ago at a yard sale, and from the wooden packaging it looks like late 40s.

Reactions: ldi

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Skip the honing steel. Get a strop instead. Use the strop once a week and you will rarely need to sharpen. I haven't touched my steel after I got a strop.

ldi

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I steel my kitchen knives every single time I use them, four quick whisks down each side. I only need to sharpen once a year (if that), at which point I use the same ancient oilstone I use to sharpen everything else in my world. I got it a very long time ago at a yard sale, and from the wooden packaging it looks like late 40s.
Go to 12:45
www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNVpPYnSSrRE&usg=AOvVaw3hPg6NEV63srnzeyP1aexz[/URL]

fshalor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Ive tried just about every type of sharpening method under the sun, with mixed results. Old fasioned whet stones, diamond water stones, Lansky rods, and a bunch of other stuff. Now I jjst use a $50 bench-top 1" belt sander to sharpen my knives. I start with a 1000 grit belt and finish with the leather strop belt with a bit of compound on it. It's takes just a minute or so to make a knife shaving sharp. It's the fastest and easiest way I've found to sharpen blades. I do all of my chisels and planer blades, pocket knives, scissors, ...whatever needs an edge.
The only things I would be worried about with this method are heat and contamination.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Avoid the sharpeners like the chef's choice one like the plague!! They will ruin any decent blade due to how they actually 'work'. I had one for a while and would never advise anyone to get one. Unless you have some cheap ass blades you really don't care about and need to sharpen very often (since they're cheap ass blades).
why do you say that? It seems to be at the right angle for all of my blades, and keeps them super sharp

Bernietech

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a cook, but I still use my llbean stainless knifes ( Dexter brand) circa 1971. Also my father had two sets of Chicago knifes circa late 60's early 70's. All is made, wood handles. I use them as well. Thurs I used my dad's sabatier 12" for the 1st time, sweet...

Sharping, I use a local guy in North Easton, "the vacuum doctor". He uses 1 inch belts, has any 6 machines, so he never changes belts. Good $ IMHO. He also is a shooter and a nice guy. Only know him from sharping service.

What do you guys use for strops? Same as for a straight razor?

Bernie

bfm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What do you guys use for strops? Same as for a straight razor?

Bernie
I bought two double sided ones from Knivesshipfree.com and their black, green and white compound. On the fourth side I put some Simichrome. The black will smooth out a rolled edge pretty quickly, the green will do most of the sharpening and the white and the polish will give a mirror finish.

The extra fine and polishing belt on the Ken Onion work sharp will do the same but it can go fast, so you need to watch it, and I don't like using it other than outside on in the workshop, so I usually just strop the kitchen knives. Only takes a minute to strop each one usually. Unless someone else was here and mucked up an edge it is normally a few passes on the green and then ten on the white and twenty on the polish.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
why do you say that? It seems to be at the right angle for all of my blades, and keeps them super sharp
Do you actually know what angle it's putting on the knives? How about what angle the edge was from the maker? It basically ruined the old paring knife my mother had (3" IIRC). It also cannot fully sharpen any knife with a full bolster on it. It also did a pretty shitty job on the slicer. They do a good job on the marketing but reality is, it's a shitty way to try to sharpen your knives. If you have decent quality knives (or better) then they deserve to be properly sharpened every time.

BTW, I've sharpened knives that flex a good deal with the wicked edge system. Not an issue since you don't need to apply more than very light pressure to get them sharp. The diamonds do the work with minimal effort (on your part).

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I steel my knives, but not every time. I do it when I feel the edges starting to roll.

I’ll be honest, my knives stay damn sharp and I use them a lot. I’d guess more often then a lot of “normal” people. I say normal, because the vast majority of people we know eat out or get delivery many times each week. I cook and we eat at home.

My knife care consists of always using a good cutting board and never cutting directly on the hard counter. I also immediately wash and towel dry them. Then I put them straight back on the magnet holder. So they never bang around in the sink, rack, or dishwasher.

Wash them. Dry them. Hang them. And your knives will stay sharp longer too.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I am in Germany I buy knives from Solingen. Check this out:

But the Japanese knives I like the most. The best tomato knife is a plastic knife I brought from Japan 15 years ago. You can't sharpen it and it keeps cutting! [thumbsup] I believe I paid $8 for it back then. You can't use it for serious meat cutting but no knife cuts tomatoes like this one.

Top Bottom