looking for quality kitchen knive sets

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
title says it.

Im looking for a quality knife set to replace my current ones. Looking for something that will last and stay sharp. Steak knives included would be a plus as well. My girl complains about the current set because she is very petite and has small hands. The current set hurts her hands after slicing for a while. They are a cheapo set I had gotten as a gift. Ive been looking around on amazon and theres a ton of options I just dont want to spend the coin on an expensive set that turns out to be garbage.

Thanks in advance

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

toekneepea

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could do it over again, I'd piecemeal it buying the best of each. If you just want it over and done with, the Victorinox Fibrox series is hard to beat in regards to cost/great cutting. No the knives themselves aren't as nice as my Wustoff - but...

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
i watch this guy on you tube. i'm thinking of getting some japanese kitchen knives in the future.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I love all of my Shun Classic (and Kaji) knives. I gave up on the Henkel steak knives and just made one myself to use.

I second getting just the knives you need instead of going for a 'set'. Chances are, you'll only use a couple/few out of the set 99% of the time. Ones I use most often are the 7" santuku, 8" chef, 6" utility, 4" paring and the 9" Kaji meat slicer. I do have a bread knife that I also use daily (to slice my own sammich bread) which is a different brand. Keep in mind, I didn't pay the prices listed on the Shun site. For the Kaji, I think I did pay that much since you can only get them from that one seller. Love that one though.

How long they'll stay sharp depends on more than a few elements. Most important include the surface you use them on (maple/walnut cutting boards are best), how you treat them before/after use (proper use of a honing steel will extend how long they remain sharp) and even how you clean them. Also make damned sure you don't let them sit wet after you've used them (and have cleaned them). Even stainless knives will develop surface rust spots if you let water stay on them for long enough. Using these methods I managed to keep the santuku sharp for about 15-18 years. Same with the chef knife. You can send them back to get sharpened if you wish, or get a solid sharpening system to do the job. Just keep in mind, these blades have a 16 degree bevel/edge on them. You want to keep that applied when sharpening. Personally. I'd only send them out to Shun IF I was willing to be without them for the time it took. I recently picked up the Wicked Edge system and have used that to sharpen these to great effect. It's not the fastest (15-25 minutes per blade) but the results are beyond excellent. I doubt I'll need to sharpen these all that often, so spending one to two hours every X months is more than OK by me.

Also, last time I looked Bed Bath and Beyond sells the Shun Classic line. Use the 20% off coupons that are available and you'll not spend as much.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I own Wusthof Classic. Love them. I've had them for 20+ years.

I have a couple of Global knives. Yeah, I know it sounds like a low rent knife but they are an expensive brand. And they are awesome. I've given quite a few as gifts over the years as well.

And I agree with @Golddiggie on Shun. I have a couple of those as well.

Now regarding sharpening. I've spent more on sharpening equipment over the years than knives. Yeah, I'm a bit obsessed with a good edge. And it's worth it IMHO. I'm actually at a good place now with sharpening. One one recent test, shaving hairs off my arm, I actually cut myself pretty good and never felt it. The blood was all the evidence I needed...

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Skip the set... It costs too much and if you already have the block from a current set, then why waste that money.

Right now my Global knives get the most use.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I have a bunch of these but once I held a Cutco it was instant love.
My sister got a set of cutco knives some time back. IIRC they're "micro-serrated" meaning YOU cannot sharpen them. They are no longer sharp but she has yet to send them out to get sharpened. I used my Wicked Edge system on her plane edge knives at the start of the month. They went from stupid dull (as in if you use these, you're F-ing stupid) to insanely sharp by the time I was done.

I would never advise anyone to get any cooking knives with serrations on them. They're fine for bread and maybe steaks. After that, hellz no.

jek

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Lamsonproducts.com
+1 for Lamson (I bought my 10 pc R0sewood set when they were called LamsonSharp). As mentioned, free sharpening for life if you ever need it. They are guaranteed for life and are located in Western MA. Great knives. You should be able to find better pricing than their website if you search online.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My sister got a set of cutco knives some time back. IIRC they're "micro-serrated" meaning YOU cannot sharpen them. They are no longer sharp but she has yet to send them out to get sharpened. I used my Wicked Edge system on her plane edge knives at the start of the month. They went from stupid dull (as in if you use these, you're F-ing stupid) to insanely sharp by the time I was done.

I would never advise anyone to get any cooking knives with serrations on them. They're fine for bread and maybe steaks. After that, hellz no.
This.

My parents have had Cutco for decades. They love them, but in fairness it's all they know. Partly, OP, it depends on how you've learned to cut: anyone who chops with a proper chef's knife won't be satisfied with anything serrated, even Cutco (which brands itself as something you can use either slicing or chopping, but which really isn't). If you're a "saw-er," though, Cutco might work well for you.

One thing I would advise: get a nice long chef's knife. I had a 6-inch for years, but then I lucked into a Henckels 8-inch and that's all I use, along with the rest of my old Wusthofs.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Cutco also has some blades in smooth edge. They do have free lifetime sharpening.
I prefer the feel of them in the hand over anything else.
One thing is for sure. The market on quality knives is a large one.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Cutco also has some blades in smooth edge. They do have free lifetime sharpening.
I prefer the feel of them in the hand over anything else.
One thing is for sure. The market on quality knives is a large one.
Not sure if the handles on my sister's cutco are the same as what you are talking about (or not) but I prefer the Shun D handle (Classic line) as well as the handle from the Kaji line over them. The D shape makes indexing incredibly easy.

I got the Dalstrong Shogun bread knife a while back (in December of 2018) after trying out their Phantom version. Didn't care for the serrations on the Phantom and told them as much (bought direct through Amazon). I did like the handle design (felt good in the hand). Ended up getting the Shogun for $0 and they didn't want the Phantom back. Gave the Phantom to my nephew which he loves (cost him nothing). I paid $41 for the Phantom (no shipping via Prime). Can't complain about their customer service on that one. ;)

BTW, any kitchen knife my mother asks for (or mentions she wants), I get her the Shun Classic line model. She loves them too. Got a lower line for my sister and niece when they wanted paring knives. Mostly due to how I knew they wouldn't really appreciate the higher level of the Classic.

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What’s your budget? That’s going to determine just what you can get. There’s no single knife company that makes the best everything,(much like gun manufacturers) so if you cook a lot and want tools that are better geared towards their specific tasks, you may want to put the set aside and piece something together. 4D0C43EE-9C80-464C-8157-5B222C441EF5.jpeg
It took 16 years to amass, but I spent that time in culinary school and professional kitchens. Do I need 4, 10” chefs knives? No, but the Brieto is far slimmer and flexible then the Germans and the one I got in culinary school has a full 1/4” spine. Good for cracking lobsters and heads. As someone else stated, I rescued a good number from TJMaxx/Homegoods stores on the cheap. Messermeister slicer, a fair number of Germans, some Italians, and some scary sharp Japanese blokes(Briteo, Masanobu) round out the collection.

Germans typically run in the lower range of HRC at 56. The Japanese, including Shun are generally around 60-62. Harder blades I can get far sharper (shallower angle) and they hold the edge longer. They are however, more difficult to sharpen/hone and some of the blades/metals are prone to chipping. Zee Germans are more forgiving and easier to maintain/take to a steel, at the cost of edge longevity. Any good and maintained paring knife or petty, will take the place of dedicated steak knives. Also, don’t hesitate to slice that steak before serving (after resting for dear god!) to show off your perfect medium rare.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
@Tinkermatic The Wicked Edge system made sharpening the Shun's easy. Diamond stones FTW. 😁 I did try a more traditional method (regular stones) to sharpen the same blades and that was far more difficult. Granted, the systems are NOT cheap, but you do get what you pay for. I stay clear of anything powered for sharpening my knives. Mostly because I don't trust them to not remove too much material. IME/IMO you want to remove the bare minimum to achieve sharpness on your blades (all blades).

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive tried just about every type of sharpening method under the sun, with mixed results. Old fasioned whet stones, diamond water stones, Lansky rods, and a bunch of other stuff. Now I jjst use a $50 bench-top 1" belt sander to sharpen my knives. I start with a 1000 grit belt and finish with the leather strop belt with a bit of compound on it. It's takes just a minute or so to make a knife shaving sharp. It's the fastest and easiest way I've found to sharpen blades. I do all of my chisels and planer blades, pocket knives, scissors, ...whatever needs an edge.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
As toekneepea said, Victorinox fibrox is a great value proposition--you see it a lot in professional settings, butcher shops, meat processing lines, etc.

I despise Cutco. I agree Shun is good, and that you can find some good kitchen knives for $10 at Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Home Goods. Don't forget a good steel and whetstone. You can often find nice quality old school 15" + steels for just a couple of dollars at thrift shops and yard sales.

bfm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Lamsonproducts.com 40% off in stock items w/code BF19WEB. I own a few of them and they're good knives with lifetime sharpening.
I have a set of Northwoods that they made. I think they also made the Shun line for years. Their shop in Shelburne falls is always a good place to stop. For sharpening I just strap them every few weeks. You could shave with all of them. Except maybe the bread knife.

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've used Wusthof Classic knives for decades. They are good knives, though heavy and not inexpensive. What I don't like about them is the full bolster:

Full bolsters are very comfortable and safe to use (particularly with a pinch grip), but are a pain when sharpening, particularly with a whetstone.

The Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife is quite inexpensive and actually a pretty good knife. It isn't that sharp directly from the factory. I spent a little time sharpening it with my Japanese stones and my strop. Now it is quite sharp.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Top Bottom