• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for public shooting pits in MA, ME or NH

I am trying to locate a new place to shoot, here is my issue. I used to shoot in Fryeburg Maine, there was (and still sort of is) an excellent public shooting range that was maintained by the state, you could do whatever you liked there so long as it was safe and you didn't trash to place. Well, people did just that, got lots of complaints and now its closed till the Spring and has a much less open schedule. I used to bring a wagon full of steel targets there and have an excellent, safe time shooting. Can't do that anymore.

I then found a place in Standish Maine, almost exactly the same sort of place as Fryeburg and I shot there for about a year doing the same awesome steel target shooting I did before. Well, come the beginning of this year I was doing my thing there until the sheriff showed up and told me and my gf to leave since the place had ALSO been shut down (very politely as we did not know, he was honestly upset about the closing himself) due to public noise complaints.

Now I have no place to shoot my steel targets that I have paid a good amount of money for, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any similar type places in either ME, NH or MA. I am also open to joining a private club, but from what I have found out almost none of them allow shooters to bring and set up their own steel targets, only paper.

Once you shoot steel, shooting paper is almost a waste of money as it just isn't the same.

Would LOVE if anyone had any ideas on what I can do, where I can go, it has been a very frustrating year not being able to shoot anywhere.

Photo of one of my old setups:

cQwI5eI.jpg

You can bring your own steel to Hopkinton and Harvard. I am assuming there are closer private clubs to you that allow you to bring your own steel.
And I agree with you, shooting steel is 1000x more fun than shooting paper.

You can bring your own steel to Hopkinton and Harvard. I am assuming there are closer private clubs to you that allow you to bring your own steel.

I thought that Harvard only allows steel provided by the club. I don't think you can bring your own.

RumRunner that is what I thought as well, would love to know for sure though from a member, Harvard is not all that far from me.

I'm a member at Harvard, but just joined this year and this was my impression. If I'm wrong that would be great news.

Mansfield F&G allows you to bring your own steel. However due to ricochets you must put all steel down at the berm (50 yds).

Theres a member here from Gloucester who Im almost positive has posted about shooting his own steel at the club he belongs to up that way. Cant say I recall which club it is, but theres only a handful in this part of the state so it would probably take just a few minutes to come up with a list and call around.

Good luck with finding a secluded place to shoot though. (no sarcasm) It must be nice to just walk out into the woods and shoot.

Theres a member here from Gloucester who Im almost positive has posted about shooting his own steel at the club he belongs to up that way. Cant say I recall which club it is, but theres only a handful in this part of the state so it would probably take just a few minutes to come up with a list and call around.

Good luck with finding a secluded place to shoot though. (no sarcasm) It must be nice to just walk out into the woods and shoot.

It is extremely nice until people ruin it :) I will look into Gloucester clubs and ask around thanks, the one mentioned above in Mansfield seems pretty open to steel as well

Country pond fish and game in newton nh allows you to bring your own steel. Must be places on the berm so misses hit the backstop and the steel must be some form of free swinging target or knock down (no solid mounted steel).

Is Hopkinton a public range? If not can anyone join or shoot there?

Is Hopkinton a public range? If not can anyone join or shoot there?

Hopkington Sportsman is a private club. I’m sure their web site has information about joining.

For the OP, join a club. Talk to the club leadership about shooting steel and what must be done to do so safely.

If anyone knows of a good secluded place to shoot in the woods.
STFU and don't say a word, or it wont be anymore.

Well, you aren't wrong. If anyone knows of a place like this please PM me if you feel like sharing. I am a responsible shooter and don't leave messes

Encroachment, get used to it. If they can't get you on lead, they'll get you on noise. Starting to think people will move next to a range just to complain.

Encroachment, get used to it. If they can't get you on lead, they'll get you on noise. Starting to think people will move next to a range just to complain.

That is exactly what has happened, people from MA move up to ME and CHOOSE to live near an established shooting pit. They complain and the town obliges....

Pelham allows you to use your own steel if it gets approved beforehand. Although to be honest, I'm not entirely clear on the process of getting it approved (although I'm sure a call/email would get you the info).

Andover has steel plates setup at 75 and 100 yards for rifle and also on pistol ranges, but you cannot bring your own.

I agree shooting steel is a lot of fun but I've actually gone from shooting almost only steel to mostly shooting paper (with rifles anyway) since it allows me to see how precise I actually was. Some steel plates are pretty large and if you have a good rifle, you can hit it with mundane regularity.

A friend of mine is a member at the Ipswich club. He brings his own steel and hasn't had any issues

Back
Top Bottom