• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for pheasant guide/mentor - North Shore MA

Howdy,

Getting into hunting in the North Shore area of MA. Looking to do pheasant this fall with my GSP. She's still a puppy (currently 11 months) however she spent 6 weeks with Jordan Wells down in NY so she's got a baseline for her first season.

I've seen a lot of people say to avoid the stocked WMA areas, but not sure where else I should be looking. Are there private areas that have paid guides that allow dogs that aren't their own?

Have been watching plenty of YouTube videos but can only learn so much without just getting out there and doing it.

Also interested in deer (likely with a bow) but that's probably going to be at least another year or so off (or happen in NH).

Thanks in advance for any pointers or references!

Oh that's good to know - I can definitely swing weekdays here and there.

I had my eye on Dogtown common (at Cape Ann Sportman's) -- saw tons and tons of folks there last year on what I believe was the first Saturday of the season.

Come out to Central MA. Places like Barre Falls Dam, and a crapload of of other large places have lots of room and lots of stocked areas. There is little pressure now than there used to be.
A lot of the boomers are aging out, and its really starting to quiet down from the years when all these retired boomers where everywhere. Lots of birds last year anytime I hunted midweek.
I have a GSP and can find birds nearly every day during the week and its not busy at all. Last year I could have limited 6 birds in a week. I actually let them fly most of the early season.

I have access to a private club as well.

There are also some clubs that recognize as game preserves, so you can pay per bird and hunt on Sundays.

Also there are good businesses like Addieville in RI. Somewhat expensive membership, but its great having groomed fields to yourself. And if you get a few guys together its not that expensive. I go there in Sundays during the season sometimes and shoot chuckars.

This year....with the new license fees.....I may just do Addieville and the private club. I'm also hunting PA for deer in the fall, so I don't really think I'll be hunting deer in MA. Not worth buying a license just to hunt state birds.

A while ago and it was late morning Saturday I believe. I brought her to work the edges and all I had was unwanted company.
Midweek near me now......your lucky if you see anyone. I let so many birds fly last year it was unbeleiveable.

I do think that Bolton Flats was flooded last year, and my area got a heavy dose of birds that weren't stocked there.

Newbie hunter here: also looking to do some first time pheasant hunting this upcoming season. Im in Boston and happy to travel.

Back
Top Bottom