• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for opinions

Hey guys and gals.
I am looking for a new handgun and I am thinking a smaller 45 or 40 cal.
I currently have:
S&W 1911 pro series 9mm
Walther PK380

I've narrowed my choices down to:
S&W 1911 compact
Walther PPS in 40 cal
M&P 40c
Sig 239

Any opinions?
Thanks in advance

Why a .40? Why not just stick with 9mm?

If anything I'd cross the PPS .40 off the list for sure. The gun is nice in 9mm, but subcompact .40s are usually obnoxious.

-Mike

Why a .40? Why not just stick with 9mm?

If anything I'd cross the PPS .40 off the list for sure. The gun is nice in 9mm, but subcompact .40s are usually obnoxious.

-Mike

+1

my buddy has one and hates it. [laugh] it's almost as bad as a the Airweight Snubbies.

Those new S&W "e-series" 1911s look like they are going to be really, really nice - a commander style one in scandium would be a nice setup IMO.

Have you had the chance to shoot the handguns on your list ?

If you havent and / or can't/don't want to then I'd suggest sticking with the 1911 platform as controls & ergonomics will be more familiar to you.

I've had a MP 40 c for a bit over a year now and really like it for daily CCW. But.... I just picked up another one yesterday that came with a .357 sig barrel drop in as a spare barrel. Only fired 50 rounds last night but I must say. The gun is so much better as a .357 sig than a .40 IMHO.

Maybe it's the newness. I plan to put another 100 rounds of carry ammo through it this weekend before I start carrying it in that config.

So my vote goes to the M&P 40c then buy a .357 sig barrel and try that as well.

Based on your current situation I would recommend a Sig P226/229, but if your successful in getting your carry restriction removed I would say the PPS but I would say get it in 9mm since you already have a 9mm.

I have 1 .40 and its probably the last one I will buy. I'll stick with .380, 9mm, and .45acp. The reason I don't get rid of the one .40 I have is because it is was a like new P229R and cost me next to nothing. It was also one of the first few guns I bought.

we have a 1 year old [laugh]

signed back on after getting all excited about my new gun [rofl]

No excuse! [laugh]

I have a 6, 9 and a 12 yo!

Did I mention I baked sugar cookies with the youngest this am and still managed to feed my NES addiction?[laugh]

Note to NES tough guys: I did it while carrying my 1911, leave my man card alone![laugh]

Note to NES tough guys: I did it while carrying my 1911, leave my man card alone![laugh][/QUOTE]

Yes but the question remains. Were you wearing an apron as well as the 1911?[smile]

Note to NES tough guys: I did it while carrying my 1911, leave my man card alone![laugh]

Yes but the question remains. Were you wearing an apron as well as the 1911?[smile][/QUOTE]

humor9.jpg

@para911 - If you are anywhere near HSC this Sunday stop by for breakfast and afterwards I will be showing a new shooter how to shoot at the indoor range. I have a M&P40c and 9c and a 1911Sc w/4.25" barrel. I would be happy to let you try them if you would like. We will probably be done cleaning up about 11:30 from breakfast and downstairs after that.

Back
Top Bottom