• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking for opinions on what to do

I am looking for some insight hopefully from someone who has some experience with both these rifles. I recently decided to thin out the collection and use the proceeds to buy scopes suppressors and all those fun goodies. To most this will seem like a no brainer and it even kinda does to me but I have to ask. I have a savage model 10 fp I bought for some 600-800 yd shooting but was recently given my grandfathers M1A and was curious, what is the realistic range of an M1A. I would still like to do some 800 yd shooting but I am just wondering if someone has maybe had some long range M1A experience and could clue me in as to how it handles. As always thanks for the info in advance.

When I was younger (and there was a 1,000 yard range available to civilians in Massachusetts), we used to shoot M1s at 1,000 yards. No reason you couldn't do the same with an M1A.

Just accept two things. #1: At 1,000 yards, the target has to be fairly big. 2 MOA @ 1,000 yards is a 20-inch circle. #2: Beyond some point (which is shorter than 1,000 yards), additional factors affect grouping from what you are used to shooting, say, 100 yards or 200 yards. Wind is a big one. Mirage can be another.

All of the foregoing said, I suggest you reconsider the implicit premise of your question, which is that a good bolt gun (such as the Savage) and a military self-loader (such as the M1A) are fungible. In fact, they are different and do different things. I wouldn't part with one because I had acquired the other.

m1a can pull almost twice as much dough at resale than savage 10fp

i have 10fp and i love it. just from mechanics standpoint your savage bolt gun will be inherently more accurate than any semi-auto.
for more reasons than one:
1. bull barrel on savage = more rigidity = better accuracy
2. no crap(i.e. gasblock) is dangling off the barrel = free float = better accuracy
3. something else i can't think off but other people will point it out, i'm sure

always wanted m1a but price bites. someday...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom