Looking for opinion on new carry gun

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
As much as I love the light weight of my M&P340PD, I think the time has come to move into a semi-auto from a revolver. I want to go handgun shopping and I wanted to ask for some advice. Here are the requirements I have staked out:

1). This is going to be used as a CCW weapon. This is not a range or plinking toy.
2). Since it's a CCW weapon I am looking for reliability.
3). I have settled on 9mm for myself and believe that is good enough for me. Yes I've watched all the cop mag dump into the bad guys videos online.
4). I am looking for something in the mid range size. I do not want a compact pocket gun. I have the 340PD for that. I'm not sure I want full size either since I worry about conceal-ability (see below for more info).
5). I am looking for something that will fit comfortably in my hands and I can get up to speed with and can learn quickly with standard shooting, offhand, etc. So to me a mid size with a mag extender might be good.
6). I prefer striker fired but I am willing to entertain all possibilities if it fits nicely in my hands.

Are there mid size 9mm that are as accurate to use as a full sized 9mm? It seems like a lot of the companies are laser focused on CCW to the point where the pistols are so tiny I wonder if they will work under real life conditions.

I want to move away from the revolver not because I don't like it, but for these reasons:
1). I find the cylinder a bit of a distraction since it sticks out more and causes it to feel slightly uncomfortable when holstered.
2). 5 round capacity. After shooting it for a few years I have found those 5 rounds go quickly. I would prefer having a magazine versus a bianchi strip.
3). Still have difficulty keeping the pistol on target when using with .357 magnum.

I ordered a new holster for a S&W SD9VE and I wanted to test it this weekend to see how a full size felt using my usual right side, IWB, near the hips carry position. So I might change my mind I don't know. But I think that my future is in a mid sized version.

I welcome any opinions and if anyone has any questions then please ask. Thanks!

Rather than point you to a specific model I will simply say I strongly encourage you to find a place to rent a purchase candidate before buying it.

Handguns, as you are aware, are very much a matter of personal preference and taste, even more so as you go smaller in size. As our WTS handguns classifieds can attest, a great deal of money is spent on carry guns that, once the purchaser actually uses, are found to be lacking in some criteria.

So, in other words, the $25-$50 spent on renting a pistol before buying one may well pay off in comparison to dropping $500 on something that sits in a safe or in the classifieds.

That disclaimer being said, I would probably suggest a CZ 75 Compact or Glock 19 as my preferred pistols in this size range.

I would check out the Sig P365 with the mag pinky extensions. The XL would be even better but I dont think they have a ma**h*** version yet.

A G19 would be good if you want a true mid size.

I am looking to get either a Sig p365 XL or a Hellcat depending on which one is available first here in Commieland.

Some guns to consider trying out:
Glock 43X
Sig Sauer P365
Sig Sauer P365XL
All are striker-fired, ten-round capacity (XL needs s magazine block as it come with a 12-round magazine standard)

Have you looked at the HK P30SKS? That's in 9mm. I had the 45C until recently, which was in 45ACP, but still very much a pistol that could be concealed easily. Both are hammer fired, but the hammer doesn't extend much. Note the 45C had 10-round magazines readily available which had the magazine extension, versus the standard 8-round mags.

That said, I carry a P365 daily.

I'm with him, but I would gravitate towards the G19 since I don't feel like the G26 (I have a G27) feels natural in the hand even with the mag extension.

Edit: it's not so much that the G26/27 doesn't feel right when shooting it, no - it's fine, it is drawing it that doesn't feel quite right.

my CCW is a full size, hammer fired action with a WML
always AIWB; 4 o'clock never worked right for me
I'm probably in the minority
if you decide to go AIWB then can certainly offer some recs

P220 with TLR-1
92A1 with TLR-1
they take turns riding in a PHLster floodlight

IMG_5696 copy.jpg

I honestly cannot cozy up to most of the new Sig and S&W small pistols. I prefer some of the older, established and proven pistols, in particular the Glocks, G19/26. Mainly because they are reliable AND fit my hand. I have both if you want to test fire them.

You need to follow the advice above and try some various pistols to see what fits you.

I like the G30 for me. It's a pocket freight-train. My suggestion for you would be the G43, or G19 if your hands can wrap it comfortably...

Last edited:
For a true mid size I recommend the G19. I've shot a friend's Shield and liked it, but it had the Apex trigger kit installed. I've shot stock MA Shields and did not like the trigger. For that matter, I don't like the Glock triggers either but can tolerate them.

FWIW, I also have a G43 and treat it like a pocket gun. It's easy enough to shoot especially with the extended mag. My wife has a G43 as well and likes it just fine for range shooting at the usual self defense distances.

Rather than point you to a specific model I will simply say I strongly encourage you to find a place to rent a purchase candidate before buying it.

Handguns, as you are aware, are very much a matter of personal preference and taste, even more so as you go smaller in size. As our WTS handguns classifieds can attest, a great deal of money is spent on carry guns that, once the purchaser actually uses, are found to be lacking in some criteria.

So, in other words, the $25-$50 spent on renting a pistol before buying one may well pay off in comparison to dropping $500 on something that sits in a safe or in the classifieds.

That disclaimer being said, I would probably suggest a CZ 75 Compact or Glock 19 as my preferred pistols in this size range.

Yeah I get that and I also feel kind of weird going into a gun shop and asking to handle all of the pistols and then not finding something I like after chewing up the sales persons time. Most of the times I have been in a gun shop they are doing a brisk business and honestly I feel like I'm being a tire kicker.

I wonder if there are any rental places out here in say the Springfield area?

@VetteGirlMA I'd suggest relying on some of the members here, and trying some of them out.

Staying with your 9MM caliber decision....

If you go with a 9MM Shield with the Apex upgrades, a Glock 19 with a Ghost connector, or a P365...they're ALL good carry guns. Something smaller is the kahr PM9, made right in Worcester.

if you get to metrowest, PM me, and I will gladly let you try them all at Southboro Rod and Gun. They all have some mileage on them and I won't care if you want to handle, dry fire (or shoot) any or all of them....

Yeah I get that and I also feel kind of weird going into a gun shop and asking to handle all of the pistols and then not finding something I like after chewing up the sales persons time. Most of the times I have been in a gun shop they are doing a brisk business and honestly I feel like I'm being a tire kicker.

Sorry can't answer for Springfield but if you happen to be in Worcester, Gun Parlor rents several types of handguns except I don't see any Glocks on the list.

You don't have to handle every pistol. Pick two or three final contenders and choose from those. Or if they all suck, keep trying options.

+1 for the idea of meeting members on here to try guns. You might be able to score a nice gun from a private sale rather than having to rely on "the List" at gun stores.

I honestly cannot cozy up to most of the new Sig and S&W small pistols. I prefer some of the older, established and proven pistols, in particular the Glocks, G19/26. Mainly because they are reliable AND fit my hand. I have both if you want to test fire them.

You need to follow the advice above and try some various pistols to see what fits you.

I like the small Sig/S&W pistols precisely because they're small, but that's because I need small above most else for my carry applications. I chose the Sig P365 because for my tastes, it has the best combination of size, feel and capacity in its class. However, if I wasn't constrained by size I'd definitely choose something a little bigger. I like the feel of the Springfield XDE, G19, M&P 9C and others better than the 365. OP says he doesn't want a micro gun so I think all the recommendations for the G43, P365 etc. should be scrapped. I also like the Shield although that's probably smaller than OP's looking for.

Sig P365

I also carry a J frame when I want to go light or pocket carry. There was a time when a Walther PPK/s or PP worked for me but I have surrendered to the reality they are obsolete. The SIG has 11 rounds of 9mm, weight is on par or lighter, and it works in either hand and offers my small hands a good purchase and consistent grip. The trigger is very good. I have traded down over the years from carrying 1911's.

Sorry, but that is the wrong attitude for selecting a CCW pistol for self-defense. Your life comes FIRST.
Kick those tires, ask those questions, Hell, piss off the counter-guy. You're worth it...

~Enbloc

Last edited:
Are there mid size 9mm that are as accurate to use as a full sized 9mm? It seems like a lot of the companies are laser focused on CCW to the point where the pistols are so tiny I wonder if they will work under real life conditions.

Lol. Not laughing at you per se... just the idea that anyone is shooting a pistol to its mechanical limit of accuracy in any situation. Any modern production pistol from big manufacturers is fine accuracy wise.

Get a G48 or G19 and you'll be fine. My G43 can pull off 8" groups at 50 yards offhand. You're fine.

It's impossible to say what's best for you. Only you can decide that. A few good choices that come to mind are a Shield or Glock 43. If you want something a little larger, then the CZ75 compact. I have them all and you're welcome to shoot any or all of them if you ever come to the eastern part of the state.

H&K VP9 or the slightly smaller VP9SK.

I carry a Kahr PM9 which you said you don't want because of size. You may want to still check it out, since it handles well with less recoil than you would expect from that size gun, and it's disappears in almost every position. The only downside is the mags are either 7 or 6 rds.

I’m a big fan of the LC9S. I haven’t seen the EC9S. But it’s probably not much different. I know it’s only 7+1. I had a small problem with the 9 rnd mags I bought and Ruger replaced them no questions asked. My Stepson who is a glock fan was surprised at how well and accurate it shot. I was carrying a Ruger SP101 which I still do off and on. But I really do recommend the LC9S. I’ve been haunting them to come out with a 10 rnd version.

Back
Top Bottom