• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for NRA Instructor pre-class info

Hello ladies and gents.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post...yay. I hope its in the right place...if not I apologize.

I am going to be taking an NRA certified instructor course early next year and I am looking for some information.

I already know where I am going to be doing the training...thats not the question.

The information I am looking for is if there are any books, magazines, etc that can give me a leg up knowledge wise before I take the course. Having a little more knowledge of what I will be getting into before the class will give me a bit more confidence and ease my anxiety. So if there is anything out there anyone knows about that could help me become a better teacher/instructor prior to taking the actual class...I would greatly appreciate the info. I'm simply looking to expand my knowledge and hoping that I can learn enough that the class will seem like a refresher course.

Thank you all ahead of time and happy shooting. Stay safe my friends.

My advice would be to sit in on a course, either a Home Firearm Safety or Basic Pistol course taught by one of the many instructors here. I had sat through 3 before i went to the Instructor course, and it did give me extra insight and perspective on how I wanted to teach.
If you are very serious about instructing and would like to learn more about the "tough part of it" (in my opinion) i would look up material on operating a Small Business. If you like shooting and you like teaching, the instructor course will feel natural to you after the first day, but the business end of it (setting up classes, locations, finding people to attend your course) is the most difficult thing IMHO.

There's really nothing to be anxious about. The course material is basic and the atmosphere is supportive. If you want to prepare, you can find an instructor who has the NRA course outlines. You become a better teacher by teaching, so you could volunteer to teach a section of a nearby BFS course.

Thank you everyone for your input. I definitely will look into the suggestions you have made. I have taught the basic safety stuff to a friend and my cousin because they wanted me to take them to a range and I wanted them...and myself...to be sure they knew how to properly handle the pistol and what to do in case one of the "typical" malfunctions (stovepipe, misfire) happened.

The one thing I want to be able to learn more about...and im sure the course will cover it...is how to see what someone is doing wrong...and how to correct them. I'm sure I am way over thinking this. And from what you all posted...it sounds like I am.

Again thank you all and I look forward to picking your brains more in the future.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The first thing you learn in the training course is "how to teach the course the NRA way."

While there are some that have issues with parts of the course curriculum, you're agreeing to do it their way.

The Instructor course is designed to make you an instructor, not bust your cookies.

Open ears, open eyes, open mind.....there you go.

Back
Top Bottom