Looking for NH FFL to work with

Stevireno

NES Member
Hey, I've got land and an off the grid cabin in nh, tax bill to fulfill federal firearm requirements, I'm looking for a nh FFL that understand federal law and I can use for a shipped firearm that I intend on leaving in NH and using in NH.

Since holliston firearms closed, I'm also looking for a privately owned place to give my business too... So I won't just use the place for transfers, I'll support it with purchases. My place is just north of Keene, NH... If anyone knows of a place i can use, let me know please, pm is fine, I appreciate it.

Steve

Hey, I've got land and an off the grid cabin in nh, tax bill to fulfill federal firearm requirements, I'm looking for a nh FFL that understand federal law and I can use for a shipped firearm that I intend on leaving in NH and using in NH.

Since holliston firearms closed, I'm also looking for a privately owned place to give my business too... So I won't just use the place for transfers, I'll support it with purchases. My place is just north of Keene, NH... If anyone knows of a place i can use, let me know please, pm is fine, I appreciate it.

Steve
If your tax bill does not go to a NH address you could have a problem. Jack.

I’ve had NH dealers tell me I just need a NH tax bill. Who cares where it is sent to. ATF requirement is where are you a dual resident and a property tax bill is evidence of that. Doesn’t mean dealer has to accept it though. You’d use your NH address on the 4473 because that is the state that you are purchasing the firearm in. This topic has been beaten to death in other threads.

I’ve had NH dealers tell me I just need a NH tax bill. Who cares where it is sent to. ATF requirement is where are you a dual resident and a property tax bill is evidence of that. Doesn’t mean dealer has to accept it though. You’d use your NH address on the 4473 because that is the state that you are purchasing the firearm in. This topic has been beaten to death in other threads.
All true. I guess that the OP just needs to get the dealer to agree that he will do the transfer. Jack.

619DW Guns and Ammo (Merrimack)

Call and talk to Keith. They do almost all of my transfers.

Thats what I was hoping for, I know the topic has been beaten to death, so I tried to identify that I understand the rules, I just need a FFL that isnt going to freak when I dont show a NH drivers license

Thats what I was hoping for, I know the topic has been beaten to death, so I tried to identify that I understand the rules, I just need a FFL that isnt going to freak when I dont show a NH drivers license

cool, I would still call first to make sure you dont waste a trip. 619DW are good people.

Heres a thought. Go in and actually buy something and see how they treat the sale. If they do it by the book....then ask them if they'll do the transfer too. Probably more willing to help a new customer.

If you're near Keene, try Highlander Arms in Spofford. Good shop good guys. Veteran owned and operated.

Also, if you're in Keene, try ATM on winchester street. The owner there really aims to please.

Personally, I'd avoid Alstead, they are not easy to deal with.

You want the best guy around to work with go see Mike at Second Amendment Arms

Tell him Steve sent you, no one will work harder be up on the laws better or be cheaper than mike who also happens to be a outside sales rep for a national firearms distributor as well as the owner of second amendment

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks guys, like I wrote, I am looking for a new place to visit and buy from, not just use for transfers...

Ill try these places ..

-Steve

As long as you reside there at the time. Just owning property in NH isn't enough.

Heres a thought. Go in and actually buy something and see how they treat the sale. If they do it by the book....then ask them if they'll do the transfer too. Probably more willing to help a new customer.

If you're near Keene, try Highlander Arms in Spofford. Good shop good guys. Veteran owned and operated.

Also, if you're in Keene, try ATM on winchester street. The owner there really aims to please.

Personally, I'd avoid Alstead, they are not easy to deal with.
I've found Highlander to be overpriced and somewhat dicks. Alstead is grouchy, but seems to know the law. "Approach determines response". A bit farther north of Keene is Claremont. Black Op (not "ops") Arms is there. He's always done me well on transfers; knows the law; and is not afraid of the Feds, as long as the transaction that you are doing is legal. You'll want to ask for John. He works another job on 3rd shift, so he'll be in and out during the day. His father and another partner are there, but he's the one who knows the ins and outs. Easiest to reach him on Facebook (especially over night) at Black Op Arms.

As long as you reside there at the time. Just owning property in NH isn't enough.

Right. I understand that you have to reside there for meaningful periods -- not just a one week vaca every year and not just a tract of land that you camp on occasionally. To me that means you need a house. A vacation home should work.

Right. I understand that you have to reside there for meaningful periods -- not just a one week vaca every year and not just a tract of land that you camp on occasionally. To me that means you need a house. A vacation home should work.

As far as I know the ATF doesn't care if it is just weekends or a week a year or 6 months. It is just that you are only a resident during the time you actually reside there. No buying guns when you are not staying there, but otherwise there is no minimum time required.

As far as I know the ATF doesn't care if it is just weekends or a week a year or 6 months. It is just that you are only a resident during the time you actually reside there. No buying guns when you are not staying there, but otherwise there is no minimum time required.

I’m no expert but I’d view it as risky to not have a second residence that you regularly attend (say many weekends a year). Additionally, I personally would leave anything I buy at that second residence. Seems risky to buy something in NH and then immediately bring it back to MA (not that anyone here is suggesting that). I’m not sure there’s a lot of guidance out there beyond the ATF’s general statement about dual residency, so I think you have to make your own risk assessment. Personally, I would be conservative on the issue so as not to give the ATF or MA a reason to jack you up over it.

Steve

Are you maybe overthinking it?

I'm assuming your other state is MA or some such.

Is there any reason you can't buy what you want HERE and simply transport it to your cabin and store it there? Once it's out of MA you can even add the super deadly flash hider or a telescoping stock.

Ah. You want to have it shipped to you. NM.

Last edited:
I’m no expert but I’d view it as risky to not have a second residence that you regularly attend (say many weekends a year). Additionally, I personally would leave anything I buy at that second residence. Seems risky to buy something in NH and then immediately bring it back to MA (not that anyone here is suggesting that). I’m not sure there’s a lot of guidance out there beyond the ATF’s general statement about dual residency, so I think you have to make your own risk assessment. Personally, I would be conservative on the issue so as not to give the ATF or MA a reason to jack you up over it.

That is up to each individual, and as far as I know you are right that we have only the short ATF view on dual residency. I wouldn't worry about mass at all since it has nothing at all to do with them as long as whatever you bring is legal and if a mass resident registered via FA-10 within I think 7 days. I would not ever buy something in another state that I had a home in and bring it into another state right away, but I would be totally comfortable buying something when I was there for the week and bringing it home with me at the end of the week.

That is up to each individual, and as far as I know you are right that we have only the short ATF view on dual residency. I wouldn't worry about mass at all since it has nothing at all to do with them as long as whatever you bring is legal and if a mass resident registered via FA-10 within I think 7 days. I would not ever buy something in another state that I had a home in and bring it into another state right away, but I would be totally comfortable buying something when I was there for the week and bringing it home with me at the end of the week.

I think I pretty much agree with you. I don’t see why ATF should really care. You do a 4473 regardless where you buy and you satisfy the ATF residency requirements. I suppose they could argue that you bought in state X but had formulated an intent to have the firearm in state Y. But seriously the whole thing is silly - you do the 4473 and where’s the harm? It’s MA and its EOPS list and what not that is where the uncertainty is but again as you point out it’s hard to see how MA can win so long as you legally acquired the firearm in another state that satisfies ATF’s dual residency requirements. But with MA the jacking factor is always high.

I think I pretty much agree with you. I don’t see why ATF should really care. You do a 4473 regardless where you buy and you satisfy the ATF residency requirements. I suppose they could argue that you bought in state X but had formulated an intent to have the firearm in state Y.
It doesn't matter if there is "intent". If you are a resident in two states, and that particular firearm is legal in both jurisdictions, there's no issue. If you live in Mass. and have a NH residence as well, would that stop you from buying a car in NH and then driving it in MA?

It doesn't matter if there is "intent". If you are a resident in two states, and that particular firearm is legal in both jurisdictions, there's no issue. If you live in Mass. and have a NH residence as well, would that stop you from buying a car in NH and then driving it in MA?

What you talk'n bout Willis? [rolleyes]

The point is, if it is legal, it is legal. It doesn't matter what "intent" is. Intent is used to describe criminal behavior. (And I hope that you scowled and puffed out your cheeks when you wrote that. LOL).

No. The issue is what does the statute say and we are not talking about cars here. If there is any statute that allows the govt to nail you for employing a scheme to evade the application of the law, then you are cooked. There are a million ways a US attorney or DA can look to jack you. For e.g., you buy in NH then go straight home to MA. Govt says you lied on the 4473 by using the NH address and god knows the crap MA could probably make up. So I don't think it's that easy and personally would be conservative on the issue(e.g., I wouldn't buy in NH and then head right back to MA).

No. The issue is what does the statute say and we are not talking about cars here. If there is any statute that allows the govt to nail you for employing a scheme to evade the application of the law, then you are cooked. There are a million ways a US attorney or DA can look to jack you. For e.g., you buy in NH then go straight home to MA. Govt says you lied on the 4473 by using the NH address and god knows the crap MA could probably make up. So I don't think it's that easy and personally would be conservative on the issue(e.g., I wouldn't buy in NH and then head right back to MA).
Again, the act is either legal, or not. If you are "residing" at your NH address, for example, for the weekend, and you buy there, then go back on Monday to your MA residence, with the new firearm, there is nothing illegal about this. If you just drove up, bought something using your NH ID and address for example, and then went right back to MA, you are not meeting the definition of "residing" at the time of purchase. Really quite simple.

Back
Top Bottom