Looking for new 9mm pistol product advise.

blindndead

NES Member
Lets start off by saying that the last 9mm pistol I purchased way back when was my Ruger sr9c still love it and carry it never had any problems with it but I think its time just in case to start looking for another 9mm pistol just as a backup if something goes down with my Ruger BTW I cant believe they discontinued such a awesome carry firearm. What is new on the shelf you like in 2023? I'm doing some homework at the moment on the sig P365. Yes, I would like to keep it to 9mm because I can find it anywhere and the old lady is able to put holes on the center target with no problems if she's not playing with her .380

Lets start off by saying that the last 9mm pistol I purchased way back when was my Ruger sr9c still love it and carry it never had any problems with it but I think its time just in case to start looking for another 9mm pistol just as a backup if something goes down with my Ruger BTW I cant believe they discontinued such a awesome carry firearm. What is new on the shelf you like in 2023? I'm doing some homework at the moment on the sig P365. Yes, I would like to keep it to 9mm because I can find it anywhere and the old lady is able to put holes on the center target with no problems if she's not playing with her .380
Second Ruger SR9C? If it isn't broke, don't fix it? Or do you wish to experience new things?

I like the 365 and G48 for their size, but I've been carrying a SP2022 because I shoot that way better and don't have to be paranoid about concealment any more.

HK makes the best guns. If you're looking to buy something new and modern tech, get one with an optics ready slide like the VP9OR or VP9SK optics ready models. Or wait for the SFP9CC. Or if you're old school and believe handguns should have hammers, the P30 or P30SK line is fine. Just would have to get the slide custom milled for an optic if that's important to you. If not, you're good to go as is.

Instead of "more of the same" anticipating some breakdown, why not use the opportunity to expand? Get a full size 9mm and start competing. If you leave is mostly stock, it will still be a serviceable carry pistol/home defense pistol.

I've been looking but from what I paid up until now.. you know$$$

So you want something small, inexpensive, reliable, available? The M&P pistols get a lot of hate here but I think they're good for the money. Better than a glock if a glock doesn't fit your hands. The wife has a 9c that she shoots very well for a small pistol.

I'm also a fan of the Walther PPS. 3 finger single stack pistol with 6+1 in 9mm or pinky extensions 7+1 or 8+1. Oddball gun but with the non MA trigger and it's really far forward trigger and grip I get really fast follow up shots and good accuracy.

The .38 J frame has been a favorite backup gun for a long time for a good reason. That with good ammo, a trigger job, and lots of practice I can make very fast fist sized groups at 11 yards. The scandium guns are the only guns that I feel like disappear into my pocket. Their light weight and soft shape makes it look like something else, where other guns always seem to print like a handgun.

All of these can be had for around $400 used if you look.

It shouldn't be? I admit I haven't looked much, but the one of the most expensive places in MA to buy a gun, Four Seasons in Woburn, has a SR9C for $350. You could probably get them to do $320-330 out the door cash. Free states have them significantly cheaper, new ones are still in the $250 range.

What were you looking to spend? Did you want to move up a size as a P365 is a touch bigger than the SR9C?

p365 is a joy to shoot, that is why it is so damn popular. xl or regular one - it is open for discussion, but, as a MA complaint carry gun - it is difficult to object. a lot of people here have one, myself included. and, if you note, i'm not a sig fanboi.

as of a practice target shooting gun - it is not what most would use.

p365 is a joy to shoot, that is why it is so damn popular. xl or regular one - it is open for discussion, but, as a MA complaint carry gun - it is difficult to object. a lot of people here have one, myself included. and, if you note, i'm not a sig fanboi.

as of a practice target shooting gun - it is not what most would use.
Theres a reason the p365 sells so well

My wife uses the SR9C. She’s capable of head shots with it. It’s a really nice gun and I’m glad she has it.

That being said, how about another SR9C? If you’re anticipating SHTF, having something with which you’re familiar is going to be a comfort as well as giving you ammunition and magazine compatibility with your first weapon. You might even consider a PC9 carbine from Ruger, which uses the same magazines.

wrong. you need a minimum of 3 handguns per caliber.
and it is a minimum, as it is more combinations there with size - weight - striker/hammer configurations, if we ignore revolvers.
and featureset wise they are not intersecting.

its magazines are expensive, it is the only drawback. i think they are still at $50 level everywhere, but, i did not look lately.
I say for sure a Canik Tp9 Sf Elite mag fits perfectly in a P320c. They are identical. There may be other mags that can be used between the lines as well.
With some light dremeling, and accepting a non-flush fit mag, a Beretta 92F mag will work in both as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom