Looking for new .45 ACP that'll take pre-ban high cap mag's

As the title says. I am going to start looking at new .45 ACP pistols but I want something that will accept pre-ban high cap magazines.

Para seem's like they have a few new pistols that have pre-ban mags in circulation but I hear alot of horror stories with them; with this pistol be for concealed carry I dont want that on my mind. You'll need it that one time and .......

Is Para alot better than I hear?

Not in my opinion. I am speaking as a prior owner and salesperson. If it is full capacity and reliability you are looking for, may I suggest looking for a Glock 21 or HK USP. Though I recently bought my first Glock, I am not officially on the Glock band wagon, but it seems to have what your looking for.

I shot a para 1911 once. It was the worst gun i have ever shot. the trigger was terrable and the gun was really heavy. it did come in a nice green box.

Para P14, P13 or P12 - I have a P12 and it's quite reliable, thank you. Some posts I've read seem to suggest that it's newer production that has a problem, so perhaps a used P14 would do you.

Glock G21 has 13 round mags and I think that prebans are available for that.

CZ-97B would also be a good choice... except you'll have a hard time finding one in MA for sale. I know... I've been watching the ads for a few years for one. [thinking] (Oops... checking the website shows that the 97B only has a 10 round capacity)

I was thinking that the EAA Witness in .45 might be a possibility, but the latest catalog from their website only shows 10+1 mag capacity. And they're not "safe" enough for MA, so they're not sold here, either. [puke2]

Not in my opinion. I am speaking as a prior owner and salesperson. If it is full capacity and reliability you are looking for, may I suggest looking for a Glock 21 or HK USP. Though I recently bought my first Glock, I am not officially on the Glock band wagon, but it seems to have what your looking for.

Agree completely. I have a ParaOrdnance P14 that is very unreliable. Glock 21 or USP are probably your best bets.

If it is full capacity and reliability you are looking for, may I suggest looking for a Glock 21 or HK USP.

The G21 has a large grip to cover that staggered mag. If you have small hands, you may find holding a G21 to be rather awkward.

At the Concord gun show I finally got to handle a G21SF and found that it was still too large for me to hold comfortably.

YMMV!

I own and IDPA compete with a P14. It functions flawlessly and I carry it occasionally (among the others that I carry routinely). However, when I bought it used, it had been worked over by a gunsmith.

My advice to you, PS, is if you really want to use pre-ban hi-cap .45 acp mags, buy the P14 and then have it worked on by a gunsmith (Greg Derr). It will cost you a few hundred more to get it 100% reliable, but you will have an amazing hi-cap that makes really big holes.

[smile]

My thoughts only.

I have always heard good things about HK and Glock. I will likely rent a Glock21 and HK USP and shoot both to see what I like more. Are the HK USP's MA legal if I wanted to buy a brand new one? If so the only thing I think I'd need is the high cap mags.

I would love to pass on the HK and Glock and get a S&W 1911 SC but I'm limited to 8 rounds. It's not a big deal because if you cant hit something with 8 rounds then another backup mag maybe I should just run the other way. There is just something about having 12 or 13 rounds of .45 ACP ready without a mag change. Probably more of a mental thing then anything else.

I have a Stainless steel ParaOrd 1445 and Have never had a problem with it.

How many pistols are too many ?

I was thinking of a Semi Automatic pistol that is chambered in 458 WinMag, Is this made yet ?

Para P14, P13 or P12 - I have a P12 and it's quite reliable, thank you. Some posts I've read seem to suggest that it's newer production that has a problem, so perhaps a used P14 would do you.

Glock G21 has 13 round mags and I think that prebans are available for that.

CZ-97B would also be a good choice... except you'll have a hard time finding one in MA for sale. I know... I've been watching the ads for a few years for one. [thinking] (Oops... checking the website shows that the 97B only has a 10 round capacity)

I was thinking that the EAA Witness in .45 might be a possibility, but the latest catalog from their website only shows 10+1 mag capacity. And they're not "safe" enough for MA, so they're not sold here, either. [puke2]

Last edited:

I’m not a Para fan at all. The one I have (P-16 40 S&W) came with plastic parts (trigger and main spring housing), shows tool marks on the inside surface of the slide and has an overall loose fit. But after replacing the plastic and a couple of other parts its run for years (10k+ rounds) with almost no failures.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I have always heard good things about HK and Glock. I will likely rent a Glock21 and HK USP and shoot both to see what I like more. Are the HK USP's MA legal if I wanted to buy a brand new one? If so the only thing I think I'd need is the high cap mags.

Not usually. The USP .45 is not on the EOPS roster, so it's pretty much an FTF only gun, unless the gun you're transferring is exempt.

Further, getting preban 12s for the USP is not easy. It will take some searching. One upshot is the 10 rounders aren't that bad.

What are you gonna use the gun for? If you can drop/get around the capacity fetish your options will open up quite a bit.

-Mike

The gun would be a carry gun....self defense. I am on the fence with the pistols that have more than 8 rounds in the sense that it's one of those things that I would LIKE (who wouldnt?!) but I am not going to pass up a good pistol because it doesnt hold more than 8 rounds.

I am thinking if I dont mind the 8 rounds; I'll get a SW 1911 SC. If I want more rounds I'll consider a HK USP, S&W MP or Glock 21. Did you have any ideas of pistols I should consider/rent time on?

When you say:
-------------------------
The USP .45 is not on the EOPS roster, so it's pretty much an FTF only gun, unless the gun you're transferring is exempt.
-------------------------
Does that mean someone else owns it in the state and I buy it from them, like used? Kind of new to the specifics but I get the general idea....I hate asking simple questions [thinking][flame]

The gun would be a carry gun....self defense.

If you're going to carry concealed on a regular basis I'd say most of the > 10 round double stack .45s are pretty much out of the question anyways. I've carried large guns concealed before, but you'll quickly find that it's usually a pain in the ass without getting a really good holster, belt, and making wardrobe changes. This is especially true during the summer when you have less layers on.

You'd probably be better off looking at a G30, (10, 10+1 rounds), the 1911SC, (8+1 ) or an M+P .45 compact (8 or 8+1 I think) or an HK USP Compact (8+1) if you can find one for not too much money.

Out of all the above you will find that the 1911SC/PD is probably the most popular. There are a lot of folks on NES that have one, and they're relatively affordable. (I've seen lightly used ones with the "bilboard" mark as low as $625. )

Does that mean someone else owns it in the state and I buy it from them, like used? Kind of new to the specifics but I get the general idea....I hate asking simple questions [thinking][flame]

It means you'll usually only find ones that are used or people moved into the state with, or ones that dealers have which are papered pre-98 exempt.

There is a handgun compliance FAQ in the MA laws subforum stickied there, if you want to know more about the compliance BS.

-Mike

If you're going to carry concealed on a regular basis I'd say most of the > 10 round double stack .45s are pretty much out of the question anyways. I've carried large guns concealed before, but you'll quickly find that it's usually a pain in the ass without getting a really good holster, belt, and making wardrobe changes. This is especially true during the summer when you have less layers on.

You'd probably be better off looking at a G30, (10, 10+1 rounds), the 1911SC, (8+1 ) or an M+P .45 compact (8 or 8+1 I think) or an HK USP Compact (8+1) if you can find one for not too much money.

Out of all the above you will find that the 1911SC/PD is probably the most popular. There are a lot of folks on NES that have one, and they're relatively affordable. (I've seen lightly used ones with the "bilboard" mark as low as $625. )

It means you'll usually only find ones that are used or people moved into the state with, or ones that dealers have which are papered pre-98 exempt.

There is a handgun compliance FAQ in the MA laws subforum stickied there, if you want to know more about the compliance BS.

-Mike

+1 on the G30.

I never leave home without one. (I have two).

Glock 21 or 21SF. You can find both but be careful with the SF to make sure it doesn't have the ambi mag release. Pre-ban mags won't have the cut for the ambi mag (although you can modify them if they're FML mags).

Glock 21 or 21SF. You can find both but be careful with the SF to make sure it doesn't have the ambi mag release. Pre-ban mags won't have the cut for the ambi mag (although you can modify them if they're FML mags).

The easy way to tell on the 21SF is if it has the glock rail or the 1913 rail. The 1913 railed guns have the ambi, glock rail version doesn't.

-Mike

The M&P 45 with trigger job ($65 from Greg Derr) holds 10 rds standard (no hi-caps even for Free America) and makes a great carry gun. With 3 size grips and a trigger job it is far and away a better shooter than the USP 45c (I own both) and the USPs go for much more $$.

A good holster and belt is a MUST for any gun to carry well. Cheap belts sag and the gun no longer fits snuggly against your body. Cheap holsters can easily drop the gun and/or make it impossible to re-holster w/o loosening your belt and pants.

G30(10+1) or USP .45c(8+1) both work great for me.
cant go wrong with any of these two.
sometimes I also carry Sig 1911 c3 single stack 7+1

The Glock 30 with a Glock 21 mag as a spare might work. I have a Glock 21 you can shoot. Let me know. Chris, I know you were kidding but I know someone who uses a Thompson submachinegun as his night table gun.

The easy way to tell on the 21SF is if it has the glock rail or the 1913 rail. The 1913 railed guns have the ambi, glock rail version doesn't.

-Mike

If the 21SF has glock rail, it still can have ambi mag release.

There are 3 variants of 21SF:

1913 rail / ambi
glock rail / ambi
glock rail / standard

If the 21SF has glock rail, it still can have ambi mag release.

There are 3 variants of 21SF:

1913 rail / ambi
glock rail / ambi
glock rail / standard

Good to know.... I've never seen the 2nd version though, so it must not be
that popular.

-Mike

As I remember when reading up on USP 45's there pretty much is no such thing as a preban mag for it. HKpro forums had the info as I recall. The USP 45 was released in 1995 so its hard to have a pre 94 mag unless it was brought over from Germany.

As I remember when reading up on USP 45's there pretty much is no such thing as a preban mag for it. HKpro forums had the info as I recall. The USP 45 was released in 1995 so its hard to have a pre 94 mag unless it was brought over from Germany.

HK USA and the guy that runs HKPRO want you to believe that but it's a
bunch of crap.

There were at least two guys that imported preban USP .45 mags, and he
was one of em. The other was some sport shop in VA I think.

HK just got sand in their privates over it because they don't like the fact
that someone bought parts directly from the mothership.

It's all kind of a moot issue though, anyways, as those mags are generally
REALLY hard to find and identify.

-Mike

SVIs are, not STIs. Get ready to fork over a 4 digit sum for one, though.

They are, without a doubt, some of the finest guns ever built, though. Maybe someday. [laugh]

-Mike

As an owner of an SVI, I am qualified to agree with the above statement. I took it out to GunPowder Pig and even The Great EC himself was impressed.

Back
Top Bottom