• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for my very 1st gun. Any suggestions?

ntomsw

Banned
I am looking to buy my very 1st handgun this week, and I am looking at the Walther P22, Walther PK380, or the Walther SR9C. I liked the way the Walther line fit in my hand. I don't own a stake in the company or anything (haha).

I cannot conceal carry as I live in Worcester, and I have restrictions. It will mainly be for target shooting, home protection, and for the few places I can conceal carry. Anyone have any recommendations?

I wouldn't get a 380. The ammos is more expensive than 9mm. I would recommend a full size 9mm if it's just for target shooting. For something cheap, maybe a .22LR rifle.

If you're looking for something to serve for recreational shooting & home protection, and you cannot carry concealed, you'll probably want to look at something other than 22lr or 380 calibers. They're just not going to stack up when it comes to personal protection. Everyone love's a good 22 for cheap practice & plinking, but for the record I couldn't say if the P22 is a good 22. As far as the SR9c is concerned (and I can only assume you mean Ruger), I own one and I think it's a great gun. You may also want to consider the full size SR9.

Just out of curiosity, if you have restricted LTC what are "the few places you can conceal carry"?

Just out of curiosity, if you have restricted LTC what are "the few places you can conceal carry"?[/QUOTE]

I have the "sporting and target" restriction, so I figured at the range i can carry. Places like that.

The short answer to your question is.... What do you like and what fits your hand? Go to someplace like AFS and try out different handguns and see what fits.
Oh, I forgot. Go green and all your questions will be answered![wink]

Last edited:
I am looking at the Walther....Walther....or the Walther....I liked the Walther

2851814771_38b1ff5e57.jpg

Sorry but I think Walthers suck (or at least I don't like them). Also, the SR9 is a Ruger, not a Walther.

Go green, attend a shoot and try as many as you can before you buy. If you have to buy something now, get an S&W wheelgun, or an HK, or a Glock 19 or something that's universally agreed upon to be good. At least then you can resell it if you don't like it.

2851814771_38b1ff5e57.jpg

Sorry but I think Walthers suck (or at least I don't like them). Also, the SR9 is a Ruger, not a Walther.

Go green, attend a shoot and try as many as you can before you buy. If you have to buy something now, get an S&W wheelgun, or an HK, or a Glock 19 or something that's universally agreed upon to be good. At least then you can resell it if you don't like it.

yes, I already realized my mistake with the Ruger SR9C mess up. I fixed it before you said something
what exactly is "going green"?

Glock.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my head hurts [grin]

Try some decent .357's and see what fits your hand. .38's are certainly fairly cheap for practice and as long as you do a good amount with the .357's then your home-defense needs will be met (load the cylinder with both at the range so you don't know what's coming next).

The only advantage of compact pistols is that there are super easy to conceal. If you can't carry, don't get one. If the pistol if for target shooting get a full size 9mm.

I would say that you're probably best suited by a 9mm. The ammo is less costly and it's a great shooter.

I am partial to glocks, but If you're set on Walther I always kinda liked the PPS. It is more of a carry gun though. A glock 19 or 17 would be perfect.

like everyone has been saying, it all depends on what you plan on doing. One poster suggest MFL, thats what I did before my first purchase. its expensive, make friends with someone that has a couple and go shooting with them.

I would agree that .380 is more expensive then 9mm so skip on the .380 for now.

I have the SR9C, and I don't have a bad thing to say about it. as I'm new to carrying, I don't carry often, still getting comfortable with it. So i kinda wish I went with the full size. so seeing how you can't carry at all get a full size.

Pass on the p22, I have it and am in the process of trading it in for something else. some people love their p22, but I am certainly not one of them. If you want a .22, which I highly recommend for dirt cheap ammo and fun shooting, I would suggest the ruger 10/22 or the S&W M&P15-22. Both are rifles, but are tons of fun to shoot. probably trading my p22 in towards a Berreta 92fs or towards a 1911.

good luck, have fun, and be safe.

Last edited:
I agree with what others have said about a full size 9mm. A good choice all around for defense and target.

You might also consider a S&W 586 or 686 revolver. You can shoot 38 special at the range and it is real mild.Load it with 357 magnum for home defense. 357 magnum is a proven self defense round and revolvers tend to be more reliable.

Welcome to the shooting community. Great stuff to found here on NES

I am looking to buy my very 1st handgun this week, and I am looking at the Walther P22, Walther PK380, or the Walther SR9C. I liked the way the Walther line fit in my hand. I don't own a stake in the company or anything (haha).

I cannot conceal carry as I live in Worcester, and I have restrictions. It will mainly be for target shooting, home protection, and for the few places I can conceal carry. Anyone have any recommendations?

If you like the feel of the Walther,try out a P-99 in 9mm, the ergonomics are excellent and its a real nice handgun.
There is also rumored to be a new .22 pistol enroute to replace the P-22 ......(stay tuned)

Skip the PK380,PPKs and P-22 they are basically awful.

For a first pistol I'd recommend a Sig 226 w/a houge grip in 9mm .
Used 226s pop up in the classifieds here quite often.

Get an AR. Why?
1. Cheap to shoot (steel cased ammo is less than 20 cents a round now, similar to 9mm)
2. Accurate up close and out far
3. Easy to handle/master
4. It pisses people off
5. Works fine in CQB/home defense
6. Never ending list of accessories, its legos for grownups
7. A good rifle is a must for true protection

Mike

get a revolver. I suspect you're young , but go against the urge for plastic and get a real gun.

This is sound advice. Judging by your user name, whitney11604, I'm going to guess that you're a female. And from my experience with my girlfriend, she prefers revolvers over semi-auto plastic guns. They seem to fit her better for whatever reason. Their function is simple, and they are extremely effective.

She had zero firearm experience before meeting me. And now she loves shooting revolvers after trying a bunch of different stuff.

Sign up for a NES shoot and try out people's stuff. It's the cheapest, easiest way to try out all kinds of firearms.

This is sound advice. Judging by your user name, whitney11604, I'm going to guess that you're a female. And from my experience with my girlfriend, she prefers revolvers over semi-auto plastic guns. They seem to fit her better for whatever reason. Their function is simple, and they are extremely effective.

She had zero firearm experience before meeting me. And now she loves shooting revolvers after trying a bunch of different stuff.

Sign up for a NES shoot and try out people's stuff. It's the cheapest, easiest way to try out all kinds of firearms.

No, I am not a woman haha...I am a 31 year old male. That is just my last name, and the date my wife and I were married. I am not opposed to a revolver, I guess I will just have to find someones guns to shoot. haha. thanks for all the info and help though.

where exactly or how exactly do I sign up for a shoot???

sorry for the assumption on your username. My apologies.

As for signing up for a shoot, you have to first "go green" and pay $21 to support the operation of this forum.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/5103-NES-Memberships

Then check the member's section for threads on NES shoots. There's one coming up later this month.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/40-NES-Members-Forum

and to elaborate more on the NES shoots...

there is usually a thread started before the shoot on "who is bringing what" to the event. On this thread, you can politely request/ask if anyone is bringing XXXXX pistol/rifle, or anything you're interested in shooting. 100% of the time someone will perk up and bring it, and then you've got an opportunity to try it out before buying it yourself.

The "shoots" usually cost $20.

So for a combined cost of $41 on the forum membership and shoot entry fee, and ammo for whatever you're going to try out (sometimes people just let you use theirs, but it's polite to bring whatever you're going to run through their hardware), you can try out almost any firearm you can think of.

It's really quite a nice thing.

Have you actually shot any of these guns? Just feeling good in your hand only matters if you plan to just sit at home and fondle your gun. Get thee to a range and tell us how those guns feel being fired.

As you do, here are some things to consider:

• How it feels in your hand while it's firing. Does the recoil feel comfortable?
  • How does the trigger pull feel?
  • How well can you maniuplate the firearm (trigger, mag release, slide stop, safety if applicable, etc)?
  • Do the sights work for you?
  • How practical/effective/affordable is the caliber? (This is where we tell you to stay away from .380)
  • How reliable reputable is the firearm? (some people may have a word about Walther)

There is something else important here I know I'm missing, but someone will mention it, I'm sure.

Your best bet will probably be a large frame, medium sized pistol, AND a similar .22LR. Consider a GLOCK 17 or 19, M&P9, Beretta 92FS, or Sig 226, and look into getting a Ruger Mk III for a .22LR.

Get an AR. Why?
1. Cheap to shoot (steel cased ammo is less than 20 cents a round now, similar to 9mm)
3. Easy to handle/master
4. It pisses people off

Mike

+1

Get an AR. Why?
3. Easy to handle/master
4. It pisses people off

Mike

I respectfully disagree with this, well actually just #5. I don't think a rifle is a good home defense choice. I love my AR but would worry about over penetration.

It is also not practical to keep loaded in a bedside safe. I usually keep a loaded pistol with a laser/light/strobe combo right next to the bed in a Gunvault, bolted to my nightstand. An extra magazine for good measure. If the dog barks I can have my hands on it in about 2 seconds. 135 Lumens bright as hell and a laser cause I don't want to have to think about aiming.

We have practiced it with the kids just like a fire drill. Everyone stays in their rooms, Mom dials 911. I am not going down to confront anyone but noone is coming up those stairs

I'm more comfortable with an AR than a handgun by a long shot. Box o Truth suggests that over penetration differences between pistol rounds and .223 is negligibly different. In fact if I recall in some tests the .223 was fragmented/tumbled well before the slower heavier handgun rounds when fired through drywall.

With an AR you can get more rounds down range faster, and (at least for me) will have a much easier time controlling follow-up shots and transition. Add to that you have 30 rounds, easily 60 if you run side by side mags in your home defense setup, and the ability to reach out well beyond your property accurately if need be, and you have a great home defense gun. That and ammo is dirt cheap so it is easy to train with.

I'd never rely on anything electronic for defense (IE a laser). I do run an Eotech on my AR but at close ranges even if you lose the sight if you practice "shooting through the tube" or just using the tube body (this is especially true with longer optics such as aimpoints) as something to center a target in there is a good chance you'll hit it. In a home you are talking less than 5 yards most of the time.

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom