• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking for my first.

Ruger for 1911 and mossberg 500 for shotgun. I find that the 500 is easier to operate lefthanded, due too the position of the safety and slide release. Only if your a southpaw like me[wink]

Last edited:
In regards to the hate for the Mossberg, it seems to me they're hit or miss. I had the J.I.C. 500 cruiser that functioned perfectly out of the box. Never had a problem with it and only sold it because I wanted to fund something else. I know people who have bought one brand new and it malfunctioned constantly. As ridiculous as it is for a simple pump shotgun to need a break-in period, I think that's exactly what happens a lot of times with Mossberg pumps. Apparently if you have a lemon out of the box, you can take it down, de-bur some rough edges in the action, oil the hell out of it and cycle it over and over until it starts to break in. But who in their right mind would want to bother with all that on a $300 shotgun when you can buy an 870 and get to work with it the same day no problems. [thinking]

I don't have a lot of experience with 1911's, but have shot a few.... The S&W E-Series are really smooth. Couldn't believe how well they shoot, and I think they're one of the better looking ones out there. You can usually find them for around $1,200-$1,300.

I don't have a lot of experience with 1911's, but have shot a few.... The S&W E-Series are really smooth. Couldn't believe how well they shoot, and I think they're one of the better looking ones out there. You can usually find them for around $1,200-$1,300.

I agree, the E series are very nice, and smooth, but I don't like the external ejector. Just spoils the simple aesthetic of the gun for me. I personally have owned, and would recommend the Ruger SR1911 as being about the nicest sub- $1k 1911 in the market. It has the nice series 70 action too so the aesthetics are "correct".

Lot's of good advice on shottys, so I won't go there as I don't own a pump. I opted to convert a Saiga 12 instead, since I thought it would be cool to have a semi auto, mag fed 12 gauge, and I was already very comfortable with the AK platform so for me it was a good fit. It was a fun project and has turned into one of my favorite range toys, and wouldn't hesitate to use it for HD either, but I'd like to build it into a SBS first, since the barrel is a bit too long inmo for a good HD weapon.

Remington R1 + Magpul grips = awesome. (IMHO) I never liked the safety on the Mossbergs, so I went with an 870.

I don't own a shotgun but I LOVE my Sig 1911 TTT [thumbsup] I really like my brothers S&W 1911 as well.

My TTT:
6105E78C-orig_zps2dcc2c27.jpg

Added black WC grips:
3DDF6CE7-orig_zps8cf413e9.jpg

Another vote for the Sig TTT, here is mine with VZ grips and as an aside, it plays nicely with my glock

ttt.jpg

no question the 870s have a nicer and more refined feel than a 500. my father's 1970's 870 wingmaster is a dream to shoot...so smooth and just a lovely gun overall.

despite growing up with 870s, i've become a mossberg fan mostly because I prefer the following 2 features on the mossberg:
1. the forend release tab being accessible without moving right hand away from trigger guard
2. the loading gate being open (easier to access tube especially with a glove). also can easily load 2 rds together with the mossberg by dropping in 1st round and using 2nd rd to push....can't do it w an 870 AFAIK.

that being said, the 870s (especially older ones) do indeed have a tighter and more "quality" feel. my best solution is just to buy one of each and enjoy them both.

----

I'm no 1911 expert. The only one I own is the auto ordnance 1911 modeled after the original military issued M1911.
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Reviews2001/combat-handguns.asp
It's a nice range toy which is pretty much where I employ it....for under $500 it gives a really old school WW1/WW2 feel which I find nostalgic and worth the $$. like I said I'm not a 1911 guy in general so I have no experience w the more modern designs. If I were shopping for one I would probably go either Ruger for the value or Sig w 5" barrel since it looks straight badass.

I cant comment on the shot gun, I dont own one yet, But I love my Remington R1 stainless 1911. My Brother has a SIG 1911 TTT that is also awesome.

I just picked up a 1911 Pro Series in .45 acp from four seasons this past Saturday. Have not been to the range yet with it so I have no idea how it shoots, but if it shoots as good as it looks then i will be very pleased. They also had some E Series there and those looked pretty sweet and all I think were under $1,400.00.

no question the 870s have a nicer and more refined feel than a 500. my father's 1970's 870 wingmaster is a dream to shoot...so smooth and just a lovely gun overall.

I'm no 1911 expert. The only one I own is the auto ordnance 1911 modeled after the original military issued M1911.
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Reviews2001/combat-handguns.asp
It's a nice range toy which is pretty much where I employ it....for under $500 it gives a really old school WW1/WW2 feel which I find nostalgic and worth the $$. like I said I'm not a 1911 guy in general so I have no experience w the more modern designs. If I were shopping for one I would probably go either Ruger for the value or Sig w 5" barrel since it looks straight badass.

Wont go anywhere near anything with KAHR's name on it after my dealings with their crap and horrible customer service. Oh, and stealing - can't forget they stole from me.

Back
Top Bottom