• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking for my first.

Looking for my first shotgun and first 1911.

I really like the KSG for what it is, otherwise blind in the shotgun world. Don't want to deal with anything thats got a lot of slack/play in the actions. staying under 1000 is ideal.

thoughts?

As for the 1911 the budget is under 1500, looking for something reliable and again, not loose. tight and crisp.

Am i way out of budget ??

For the 1911, I would either go Ruger or S&W and come in under your budget, or I would save up another $4-500 and go to Greg Derr and have one built.

Never played with a KSG. I have a 870 Police and a 590a1. Both are nice. Most shotguns seem to have a bit of slack/play/rattle, at least most pumps I have seen do, new or old. All have functioned fine, but our definitions may be different.

Mossburg sells a combo deal.
Slug barrel and field barrel with interchangeable chokes.
Well within your budget and a good basic reliable gun.
In the 1911 category, personally I'm fond of the S&W E series. again within your budget.
But that's my preference.

I don't own a shotgun but I LOVE my Sig 1911 TTT [thumbsup] I really like my brothers S&W 1911 as well.

My TTT:
6105E78C-orig_zps2dcc2c27.jpg

Added black WC grips:
3DDF6CE7-orig_zps8cf413e9.jpg

My brother has this one:
1A0E16A2_zps2ec1ad5e.jpg

Last edited:
I love my glock 19. I love my EDC its a .357 glock 33. Hell... i actually like the 357 sig round better than the 9 but the 9 is the "compact" so it fits like a glove.

I don't have anything in .45 yet.

first was a 40, then go figure i got a 9 and 357... almost like they got busy and had this baby glock one night. haha

The shotgun would be a mix of range and home defense. I've got a couple other go-to's for home defense at the moment.

find a used Remington 870 and if you don't like it, you can always sell it for exactly what you paid for it.

The 1911 is just for the range. Likely not ever a carry piece.

Unless you'll be getting into serious competition, you don't need a tight-as-a-swiss-watch 1911. For average 25 yard range target shooting you can find a basic mil-spec 1911 for under $600. It all depends on what you demand for bells and whistles.

870 shotgun unless you wanna get more specific for use. i went from 1 to 6 in a hurry when i had a specific purpose for each one. i am not a 1911 person. so no help there but they are a sexy gun!

- - - Updated - - -
What's wrong with a little loose?

nothing.... absolutely nothing. everything is a little loose when you are hung like a baby carrot...

me on the other hand, I am hung like a friggin hockey puck. 1 inch long and 3 inches in diameter. my friends call me tuna can...[rofl]

Unless you'll be getting into serious competition, you don't need a tight-as-a-swiss-watch 1911. For average 25 yard range target shooting you can find a basic mil-spec 1911 for under $600. It all depends on what you demand for bells and whistles.
I agree.

My Ruger 1911 for under 700 is one sweet 1911. Just as nice as my friends Smith and Wesson E series that that cost him 1200.

Remington 870 for a general purpose shotgun. Should be 1/5-1/3 of your $1k budget.

The only 1911 I've ever owned was a Colt Gov't MkIV. *Should* be within your budget. I never had any problems with it regarding accuracy, reliability, and carry-ability.

I dont care about 1911s so im not going to comment.

for shotgun, I own a KSG and the usual 500/870 pumps. the KSG is cool but honestly if its your first shotgun I suggest a mossberg or remington. The new flex 500 models are awesome because modular can become HD -> hunting gun in under 1 minute.

the KSG is very cool, dont get me wrong. However, the feeding system in an 870/500 is more reliable especially if the user doesnt shuck it properly. Also the KSG has no sights and needs a vertical grip to prevent blowing your left hand off accidentally...factor in those costs.

my major beef w the KSG is that you cant easily load the chamber directly. In a pinch, my 500 can be loaded and shot 1 rd rapidly and the tube is loaded easily without flipping gun over. The KSG is not so simple.

i indeed love the KSG too...its way more novel. But remeber it feeds and ejects from the same port, wheras the 500/870 ejects separate from feeding....i just trust it more.

also the safety on the KSG sucks IMO. Location is odd and its reversed (push from left -> right to disengage, WTF?).

one more thing: the 500/8590/870 is a weapon even without ammo....swing that beast and its lights out. The KSG is worthless unloaded.

Again i love the KSG too....its neat but in my heart Im a mossberg pump lover.
just my 2c.

my first was a weatherby pa-08. it is by far the best shotgun i ever bought and for 399 it is great the 870 is also as reliable and wonderful. did we discern if a semi or pump was in order? if so i love my sa-08 as well. but remington is also great.

To the OP, perhaps put a descriptive title thread and do a search of NES forums.....these questions been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere.

Mossy 590 black water (if you can find one). If Remington builds their shotguns as they do their rifles, go with anything BUT Remington.
As for A 1911, just go with, I don't know, a Kimber? Now, where's that popcorn again?

Mossy 590 black water (if you can find one). If Remington builds their shotguns as they do their rifles, go with anything BUT Remington.
As for A 1911, just go with, I don't know, a Kimber? Now, where's that popcorn again?

my 30 year old 700 would kick the crap outta my 3 year old 700. so i get it.

damn my wife already hates you. deal. which model.....

where do you live? you could try mine first. i would like to find a glock that fits well. thats always been a problem for my big hands.

Back
Top Bottom