• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for my first revolver - which shops in MA have a decent selection?

Want to try a revolver. Primary caliber .357 magnum - would like to be capable of firing .38 special as well but not a deal killer.

Liking the S&W 686, 586 S&W Model 60 and S&W model 640. Would consider a Ruger GP100.

Anyone know which shops in MA have large selections of revolvers? I would like to man handle a few to check out grips and action etc. (BTW - Northeast Trading is out of the running)

Thanks for any info.

edit: Planned use is hd and range for practice. No carry.

Last edited:
Four Seasons had a S&W Model 13 with a 4" barrel listed the other day. I don't know if it's still there, but there isn't a better first revolver than a K frame with fixed sights.

Four Seasons had a S&W Model 13 with a 4" barrel listed the other day. I don't know if it's still there, but there isn't a better first revolver than a K frame with fixed sights.

I called yesterday and it is gone. Still listed online but they said it sold

I called them about the Smith 13-3 a week ago and they had already sold it for $299 [crying] Btw its still on there consignment page

I was going to call them when it was first listed, but I really want a 3" K frame. A few months ago some had a 3" Model 13 listed here and it sold in about an hour. Short money too. It was sold before I saw the lisfing. I was the sad.

There are several Model 10 listed between FS and Collecters so the OP won't have much trouble finding one if that's what he wants.

Want to try a revolver. Primary caliber .357 magnum or .357 SIG - would like to be capable of firing .38 special as well but not a deal killer.

Any 357 magnum will take 38 specials, its a shorter case, but a 38 special won't chamber 357 mag. No such thing as a 357 sig revolver as far as I know. Its a necked down 40 S&W cartridge so its rimless for a start.

Any 357 magnum will take 38 specials, its a shorter case, but a 38 special won't chamber 357 mag. No such thing as a 357 sig revolver as far as I know. Its a necked down 40 S&W cartridge so its rimless for a start.

OK - so you see how much I don't know about revolvers. After a little googling it appears that semi-autos use the .357 SIG. That makes my choices easier anyway. .357 magnum it is. (edited op)

$299 for the Smith 13-3 is nice. Really looking for a new pistol though. But I would buy used if the price was right and there was some sort of return policy if it was a real dog.

B&K is close by and is possibility. So is First Defense in Uxbridge although I don't normally see a lot of revolvers there.

Visit Holliston Firearms. Not that far if you are in Milford. The other day he had a 3" model 60, a ruger LCR, a 3" SP101, a bunch of SW snubbies, as well as a bunch of other SW revolvers. Mark is awesome to deal with. He has the patience to teach you about the different types, features, and will sell you what you really want, not what he wants to sell. All for very competitive prices as well. If he doesn't have it, he is always happy to get it for you, again, usually at a very competitive price.

He got me a model 60 pro for about $100 less than one of the very popular Mass. stores.

I know he had a black Friday sale, so his inventory might be down a bit.

I highly recommend the S&W 686 plus 4", I will own mine forever. FYI I saw a few 686's on gunbroker.com [thinking] I also think the ruger GP100 is a great choice as well I have shot both, you really can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
"I regret buying this 4" stainless Smith & Wesson .357 magnum," said no one, ever.

My first gun was a 686. I've bought and sold many guns since then, but I will NEVER sell my Smith & Wesson.

"I regret buying this 4" stainless Smith & Wesson .357 magnum," said no one, ever.

My first gun was a 686. I've bought and sold many guns since then, but I will NEVER sell my Smith & Wesson.
Used by U.S. Navy Special Operations during waterborne missions. its a keeper.

Visit Holliston Firearms. Not that far if you are in Milford. The other day he had a 3" model 60, a ruger LCR, a 3" SP101, a bunch of SW snubbies, as well as a bunch of other SW revolvers. Mark is awesome to deal with. He has the patience to teach you about the different types, features, and will sell you what you really want, not what he wants to sell. All for very competitive prices as well. If he doesn't have it, he is always happy to get it for you, again, usually at a very competitive price.

He got me a model 60 pro for about $100 less than one of the very popular Mass. stores.

I know he had a black Friday sale, so his inventory might be down a bit.

Yep. I have bought a couple pistols from him. I don't recall a large selection of revolvers but he is close by and a transfer to his shop is a possibility. Or he could order a 686 for me. In either case, I am starting to see a 686 in my future.

I highly recommend the S&W 686 plus 4", I will own mine forever. FYI I saw a few 686's on gunbroker.com [thinking] I also think the ruger GP100 is a great choice as well I have shot both, you really can't go wrong with either one.

The 4" model is the one I was eying and would prefer S&W over Ruger although the GP100 seems like a fine revolver. Perhaps a fall back option.

Thanks every one for your input. I have to admit I was leaning towards the 686 anyway - now it's almost a lock. Just have to find or order one.

The 4" model is the one I was eying and would prefer S&W over Ruger although the GP100 seems like a fine revolver.

The Ruger is a fine revolver, and those who own them seem to be very happy with them. My brother-in-law is one of them (and he's apprentice to one of the preeminent gunsmiths in Florida, so his tends to be an opinion I respect). Fan boys will debate the point, but really, I think it's a Coke & Pepsi thing. You will be happy with either.

Signed, Smith & Wesson Fanboy

OK - so you see how much I don't know about revolvers. After a little googling it appears that semi-autos use the .357 SIG. That makes my choices easier anyway. .357 magnum it is. (edited op)

$299 for the Smith 13-3 is nice. Really looking for a new pistol though. But I would buy used if the price was right and there was some sort of return policy if it was a real dog.

B&K is close by and is possibility. So is First Defense in Uxbridge although I don't normally see a lot of revolvers there.

There are no gun shops that I know of that have any kind of "return policy", especially if you are "not happy" with it. The best you could hope for, is they take it back in trade, for 50-60% of the purchase price, if that! You would need to have been sold a non functioning, inoperable gun to possibly get a refund...if your lucky!

That is the good shops. Some will refuse any returns.

I've owned a ruger GP100 for about 20 years now and I wouldn't sell it, its a great revolver! Handles anything you feed it and sucks up recoil very nicely.

I know most people will know this but incase anyone didn't, the 686 comes in 6 or 7 shot. The "plus" is the 7 shot.

That was kinda a funny for me, go with the old school 6 or the new fangled 7 shot, both seem to be sweet revolvers, god dam to many frigging choices these days, each comes with it's own set of options and critics ~

Tim [smile]

That was kinda a funny for me, go with the old school 6 or the new fangled 7 shot, both seem to be sweet revolvers, god dam to many frigging choices these days, each comes with it's own set of options and critics ~

Tim [smile]

Damn right, why do you think they make the safes so big???

I've had a GP100 6" stainless for 3 years and got a trigger job done by Greg Derr. It's a blast to shoot. The only reason I chose it over the 686 is that Four Seasons was selling the GP100 for about $200 less than the 686. I've shot both and both shoot and feel great, really just comes down to price and your preference.

I've had a GP100 6" stainless for 3 years and got a trigger job done by Greg Derr. It's a blast to shoot. The only reason I chose it over the 686 is that Four Seasons was selling the GP100 for about $200 less than the 686. I've shot both and both shoot and feel great, really just comes down to price and your preference.

If I see either on sale and I have the $$'s on hand I am going home with it.

I know most people will know this but incase anyone didn't, the 686 comes in 6 or 7 shot. The "plus" is the 7 shot.

Yes. I was thinking about it, but worried about finding a decent holster for it. I am guessing the six round model is much more popular and is easier to find a holster for.

Guns Inc. in West Springfield has a hugh selection of revolvers.....

That's a day trip for me. Well over an hour drive. Might be worth it some weekend though,,,, bookmarked the website. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom