Looking for members of the 1st Cav Div in Vietnam

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
As the thread title states, I am trying to find members of the 1st Cavalry Division who served in Vietnam.

Specifically, I am looking for information on the 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division. and where they were based
in 1970 when they were involved in operations in Cambodia.

I am researching this unit as part of a book I have been working on for many years about my self and my family members who
also served in Vietnam. My older brother, John Rowland, was a Platoon Leader with Company D. 2nd/5th Cav. in June of 1970
when they went into Cambodia.

I have done some searching of the 1st Cav, but most of what I find is current sites and not much information on Vietnam
activities. There used to be a forumsite of 1st Cav Vietnamvets that I visited back in the 1980's, but now I can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Could find out exactly, but I know my uncle was 1st Cav, he gave me his shoulder patch when I was a kid.

He did not make it to Vietnam though. Was on the boat on the way over and they pulled him and a few others off at Subic and sent him to the 38th in Korea for a year instead. With out asking him, I want to say it was 67 or 68.

I also have his document proving he is now a shellback from that trip.

Not sure if you are familiar with Together We Served (U.S. Army).
It is a social media site where you can look up veterans by name, unit, specialty, etc.
I'm a member of the Marine section.
I have had several buddies reach out to me via that site and have also located some others myself.

Best wishes for success in your search.

Kim, I don't know if you ever met him, but Ltc. Walter Landry was a career officer and Veteran of WWII thru Vietnam, served in 1st Cav on horseback in WWII and I remember him telling me that he retired on choppers. Great guy, former president of both Sharon F&G and Westwood Sportsmen's Club. There's at least a handful or two of his friends here on NES. Sadly he passed in 2013.
LTC Landry Obituary - (2013) - Needham, MA - Transcript & Bulletin

Kim, I don't know if you ever met him, but Ltc. Walter Landry was a career officer and Veteran of WWII thru Vietnam, served in 1st Cav on horseback in WWII and I remember him telling me that he retired on choppers. Great guy, former president of both Sharon F&G and Westwood Sportsmen's Club. There's at least a handful or two of his friends here on NES. Sadly he passed in 2013.
LTC Landry Obituary - (2013) - Needham, MA - Transcript & Bulletin
I met him a couple of times at Westwood. Quite a guy.

Back
Top Bottom