• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for members of the 1st Cav Div in Vietnam

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
As the thread title states, I am trying to find members of the 1st Cavalry Division who served in Vietnam.

Specifically, I am looking for information on the 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division. and where they were based
in 1970 when they were involved in operations in Cambodia.

I am researching this unit as part of a book I have been working on for many years about my self and my family members who
also served in Vietnam. My older brother, John Rowland, was a Platoon Leader with Company D. 2nd/5th Cav. in June of 1970
when they went into Cambodia.

I have done some searching of the 1st Cav, but most of what I find is current sites and not much information on Vietnam
activities. There used to be a forumsite of 1st Cav Vietnamvets that I visited back in the 1980's, but now I can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Could find out exactly, but I know my uncle was 1st Cav, he gave me his shoulder patch when I was a kid.

He did not make it to Vietnam though. Was on the boat on the way over and they pulled him and a few others off at Subic and sent him to the 38th in Korea for a year instead. With out asking him, I want to say it was 67 or 68.

I also have his document proving he is now a shellback from that trip.

Not sure if you are familiar with Together We Served (U.S. Army).
It is a social media site where you can look up veterans by name, unit, specialty, etc.
I'm a member of the Marine section.
I have had several buddies reach out to me via that site and have also located some others myself.

Best wishes for success in your search.

Kim, I don't know if you ever met him, but Ltc. Walter Landry was a career officer and Veteran of WWII thru Vietnam, served in 1st Cav on horseback in WWII and I remember him telling me that he retired on choppers. Great guy, former president of both Sharon F&G and Westwood Sportsmen's Club. There's at least a handful or two of his friends here on NES. Sadly he passed in 2013.
LTC Landry Obituary - (2013) - Needham, MA - Transcript & Bulletin

Kim, I don't know if you ever met him, but Ltc. Walter Landry was a career officer and Veteran of WWII thru Vietnam, served in 1st Cav on horseback in WWII and I remember him telling me that he retired on choppers. Great guy, former president of both Sharon F&G and Westwood Sportsmen's Club. There's at least a handful or two of his friends here on NES. Sadly he passed in 2013.
LTC Landry Obituary - (2013) - Needham, MA - Transcript & Bulletin
I met him a couple of times at Westwood. Quite a guy.

Back
Top Bottom