• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for LTC-B compliant pistol

0000007.gif

Last edited:
Don't be too paranoid. Night sights aren't regulated by any gun laws. Maybe by radioactive material laws, but not gun laws.

M&P compact would be a great choice.

IANAL but wouldn't the M&P be illegal on a Class B as it can accept hi cap mags? I seem to remember seeing a Berreta that had a 8 shot magazine version of the 92 for sale in Ma for anyone with a Class B who wanted a 92 but could not get a Class A permit. I think I saw it a Galiyan's before it became Dick's. What I'm trying to say is isn't the Class B a "restricted"
LTC per se.

If the M&P compact is not named on the large capacity firearms roster and has never been sold with hi cap mags, it is not a problem. It is neither of those things, so it is legal for an LTC-B.

In Ma we are restricted to 10 rd mags but can or will it except the higher cap mags for the full size M&P? I admit I not that familiar with the M&P line but if you lived in say NH would the pistol be sold with a higher cap mag? I hope I'm making some sense here cause I can't think of a better way to express my idea.

In Ma we are restricted to 10 rd mags but can or will it except the higher cap mags for the full size M&P?

Dunno.

I admit I not that familiar with the M&P line but if you lived in say NH would the pistol be sold with a higher cap mag?

I don't think so. Surf over here: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...selected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

See where it says "capacity: 10+1"? If it shipped with > 10+1 in other markets, it would show that here.

The actual text of the law restricts firearms (i.e., handguns) "capable of accepting" a magazine holding more than 10 rounds. My a strictly literal interpretation, that means essentially every semi-auto handgun ever made. Note that it doesn't specify that the gun has to have a such a magazine nearby, or even that such a magazine has ever been sold commercially (or even exists in somebody's basement machine shop), only that the gun could conceivably accept one if it did exist.

In a rare, and totally unexpected fit of sanity, the Commonwealth decided that the law would be interpreted to mean only those guns that were sold commercially with large capacity magazines and those guns for which the owner actually possessed a large capacity magazine. Thus, for example, even though there have been large capacity magazines readily available for a 1911 since WWI, they are not considered to be per se large capacity firearms, since they have always been sold with magazines holding 7 rounds (or sometimes 8 or 10 rounds in recent years).

Massachusetts laws prohibit all sales of new magazines holding more than 10 rounds, so firearms such as a Para-Ordnance 1245, which is on the EOPS "approved firearms" list for sale by Massachusetts dealers, is still classified as high capacity, since it routinely comes with a 12-round magazine. Of course, any sold to normal people here would be required to have 10-round magazines instead. S&W M&Ps routinely ship with 10-round magazines, regardless of destination. I have no idea whether some enterprising soul has yet designed and offered for sale a larger capacity magazine.

Ken

1911 hands down. Since you have a "B" you won't be carrying this. 1911 are safe, fun to shoot, most are pretty accurate right out of the box, and since most are chambered for .45ACP they also make a great home defense pistol. You can also use a stock 1911 for competitions such as IDPA. IMO, You can't go wrong with having a 1911 in your collection.

1911 hands down. Since you have a "B" you won't be carrying this. 1911 are safe, fun to shoot, most are pretty accurate right out of the box, and since most are chambered for .45ACP they also make a great home defense pistol. You can also use a stock 1911 for competitions such as IDPA. IMO, You can't go wrong with having a 1911 in your collection.

Yup...1911 all the way.

If someone breaks into your home, meeting them with 10 .40s would be better than meeting them with 10 9mms?

Not nearly as much a difference as some people think. Lot's of holes cause serious organ damage and blood loss, regardless of their size (assuming, of course, that you manage to put most of them where you want to).

Ken

M1911, I agree on that first point you made, but all other things being equal (and in this case they are because the .40 doesn't handle that much differently from a 9mm, at least for me) I'd go with a .40 over a 9mm in that case.

M1911, I agree on that first point you made, but all other things being equal (and in this case they are because the .40 doesn't handle that much differently from a 9mm, at least for me) I'd go with a .40 over a 9mm in that case.

I've fired several similarly sized guns in 9mm and .40 -- Kahr K9 and K40, Glock 17 and Glock 23. In my experience, the .40 gun had significantly more felt recoil (to the point of being decidedly unpleasant) than the 9mm. YMMV.

I'd feel equally well armed with either. The reduced recoil and lower ammo cost makes me give the 9mm the nod, but that's just me.

I've fired several similarly sized guns in 9mm and .40 -- Kahr K9 and K40, Glock 17 and Glock 23. In my experience, the .40 gun had significantly more felt recoil (to the point of being decidedly unpleasant) than the 9mm. YMMV.

I'd feel equally well armed with either. The reduced recoil and lower ammo cost makes me give the 9mm the nod, but that's just me.

+1! Shoot more = shoot more accurately

If the M&P compact is not named on the large capacity firearms roster and has never been sold with hi cap mags, it is not a problem. It is neither of those things, so it is legal for an LTC-B.

Not true. If you can put an M&P full-size mag in the gun and fire it, it's a high-cap pistol and thus not allowed with an LTC-B. Out of curiosity, why did you get an LTC-B? There's no reason not to get the A.

Not true. If you can put an M&P full-size mag in the gun and fire it, it's a high-cap pistol and thus not allowed with an LTC-B. Out of curiosity, why did you get an LTC-B? There's no reason not to get the A.

WRONG.

Here's the "Large Capacity Roster" - SHOW us where the M&P is on it:

Smith & Wesson
SW9F
SW40F

If it was never sold w/"large capacity" mags it is NOT a "large capacity" firearms.

Of course, if YOU buy such mags and do not have the requisite license, YOU have a problem.

I would correct you but I see Scrivener beat me to it.

For that same reason, a 1911 is not a high-cap pistol even though 20 round mags are available for it.

If it was never sold w/"large capacity" mags it is NOT a "large capacity" firearms.

Of course, if YOU buy such mags and do not have the requisite license, YOU have a problem.

So as long as it wasn't sold new in Massachusetts with a high capacity magazine then it is not considered high capacity?

Here's how Massachusetts defines "large capacity weapon":

"Large Capacity Weapon" is defined as any semiautomatic weapon equipped with a fixed "Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device," or is capable of accepting, or is readily modifiable to accept a "Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device." A Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device shall mean any belt, drum or magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

The M&P certainly meets that definition.

So as long as it wasn't sold new in Massachusetts with a high capacity magazine then it is not considered high capacity?

Here's how Massachusetts defines "large capacity weapon":

"Large Capacity Weapon" is defined as any semiautomatic weapon equipped with a fixed "Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device," or is capable of accepting, or is readily modifiable to accept a "Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device." A Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device shall mean any belt, drum or magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

The M&P certainly meets that definition.

I repeat the question: WHERE does the M&P appear on a list you obviously made zero effort to check?

Back
Top Bottom