Looking for long distance ranges to get into the sport

Hello everyone,
I will start off with, I’m very sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I recently bought a precision rifle and am looking to get into the sport, where are some good long distance (500yds+) ranges in the MA, southern NH, southern ME area? The I live in the North Shore of Mass. I have seen previous postings about this similar topic, but they were from years ago and I was looking for more recent info. I have found Granby has a good range but it is 2 hrs away from me, I’ve read the Reading gun club has a great range but membership is very hard to come by, and Nausha & Londonderry have very nice ranges but membership is currently full. Is the 1000 yd Sig range open to public? Or only for classes? If anyone knows of a good long dist range please let me know, I wanna start stretching out my distance shooting skills. Thanks given preemptively for anyone who can help me out.

Thanks, Wingzero

I’m 99% sure the 1000 yard range at Sig is for classes only. This is what I gather from the few guys I know who take long range classes up there.

Reading would be ideal if you’re on the north shore but I’ve also heard it’s tough and/or a waitlist to join.

Doesn’t Pelham have a 600 yard range?

Edit: yes they do
https://www.pelhamfishandgame.org/600-yard

To be honest shooting at 1000+ isn't ~really~ all that much harder than shooting at 200 or 300. You put your dope on, make your wind call, and go. The fundamentals get more important but they remain fundamental.

If you "recently bought a precision rifle and (are) looking to get into the sport," you'd be better off finding a local convenient range where you can get a lot of regular practice. Don't worry about the distance, just focus on shooting very small groups repeatedly.

What rifle did you buy?

You don't need to actually join a club to shoot in matches. They are all open to the public.
That being said, join a club. Reading and or Nashua near you are both excellent and you will be associating with some of the top shooters in the country.

To be honest shooting at 1000+ isn't ~really~ all that much harder than shooting at 200 or 300. You put your dope on, make your wind call, and go. T.......

Um, I respectfully disagree. I carry a HM classification in mid range F-TR and usually shoot to my classification. In Long range I carry an Expert card, and it's not because I suck at long range. The wind at 1000 yards is exponentially harder than at mid range.

Reality is that in the Northeast there is only Forbes in Colonie, New York for matches.
Other options for long range are:
Conaught in Ottawa, it's 6 hours from me in Lebanon
Reade in PA, closer to 10 hours I think
Bridgeville in DE, another 8 to 11 depending on where you live.

This is just not the place for long range. Now, when it comes to mid range (out to 600) I can shoot almost every weekend and still not go into MA.

Um, I respectfully disagree. I carry a HM classification in mid range F-TR and usually shoot to my classification. In Long range I carry an Expert card, and it's not because I suck at long range. The wind at 1000 yards is exponentially harder than at mid range.

Reality is that in the Northeast there is only Forbes in Colonie, New York for matches.
Other options for long range are:
Conaught in Ottawa, it's 6 hours from me in Lebanon
Reade in PA, closer to 10 hours I think
Bridgeville in DE, another 8 to 11 depending on where you live.

This is just not the place for long range. Now, when it comes to mid range (out to 600) I can shoot almost every weekend and still not go into MA.

I’m HM midrange and XTC and MA longrange, not that it matters. Yes wind tends to matter more the further out you get but it’s still just wind. I’ve shot at 300 in crazy wind and 1000 in calm wind (sometimes on the same range just a few days apart) either way it’s just another variable.

Anyway, point being the fundamentals are the same regardless of the range. Calling wind is just part of the puzzle. You could be rainman at wind calls but if your position sucks or you can’t break a clean shot it’s not going to matter. You don’t get bonus points for making a great wind call and then ripping one into the 7 ring because your trigger control is awful.

And to add onto Jasons post, I repeatedly hear/read people wanting to shoot "long range: 1000 yards or more" when they have never shot beyond 200 yards. Like there is no challenge to shooting only out to 600 yards. Try it sometime. There are numerous local ranges offering matches on most every weekend.
Fundamentals are the most important part of precision shooting. You master them by shooting. A lot.

if you are just starting out i highly suggest you call alex and rudy at ridgeline shooting up and get into one of their precision rifle classes. worth every penny.

RIDGELINE

Reading Rifle and Revolver is always looking for good members. If anyone wants to join they must be sponsored by a member....that's difficult, but not if you participate in the matches (anyone is welcome). We have several prone matches during the season, have a 100yd or 200 yd zero, show up and tell the R.O. you have one of those zeros, we will get on paper and you can shoot. Once people get to know you, joining is easy.

Back
Top Bottom