Looking for load data

BTSDOG

NES Member
Hi,
I just received some Hornady .224, 62 gr. HPBT bullets w/ canalure. I just checked my latest edition Hornady book, and they dont list any data for this bullet. Might it be discontinued ? Does anyone have any data for this bullet ? Looking for min./max powder specs,trim to length, and c.o.a.l.
Thanks, jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you check the hornady service rifle section?

Yup, they have nothing listed for a 62 gr. BTHP W/canalure......
Altho the Speer manual has loads for a 62 gr. FMJBT W/canalure .....
Ill start with that I guess......Its not the powder charge that worries
me, its how much to play with the seating depth.......

No problem with charge weights, but how do you adjust for seating depth as different bullet styles have different seating depths......

You can do a few things.
1. Load to the cannelure then make sure it fits the mag and chambers with out touching the lands and grooves.
2. Maybe this should be 1. Call the manufacture of the bullet and ask them for seating depth. Is this for a AR.

Unless noted by manufacture my AR loads except for my 80 grain and 75 grain A max are loaded to no longer than will fit the magazine and no shorter than manufacture recommends.
There are some DIY tricks also to accomplish the same result as below.

There are other tools to do the same job. This just happens to be the first manufacture that popped up.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do a few things.
1. Load to the cannelure then make sure it fits the mag and chambers with out touching the lands and grooves.
2. Maybe this should be 1. Call the manufacture of the bullet and ask them for seating depth. Is this for a AR.

Unless noted by manufacture my AR loads except for my 80 grain and 75 grain A max are loaded to no longer than will fit the magazine and no shorter than manufacture recommends.
There are some DIY tricks also to accomplish the same result as below.

There are other tools to do the same job. This just happens to be the first manufacture that popped up.

Thanks for the info...Ill call Hornady for seating depth info as im more worried about max seating depth/ increased pressure problems......

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem with charge weights, but how do you adjust for seating depth as different bullet styles have different seating depths......

For 62s in an AR, use 2.250" as your max length, and whatever is in the Speer book as your min, or perhaps a bit shorter if you're not loading to max.

As always, start low, work up slow, and watch for pressure signs along the way.

For 62s in an AR, use 2.250" as your max length, and whatever is in the Speer book as your min, or perhaps a bit shorter if you're not loading to max.

As always, start low, work up slow, and watch for pressure signs along the way.

That sounded good, until I looked in my speer manual and see they have the 62gr FMJBT COAL at 2.255 which is .005 longer than your suggested max length....
Im going to call Hornady when i get a chance and see what they have to say about this bullet. In the meantime Im going to measure one to get some dimensional info on it, OAL, and measurements on where the canalure is located. That might help me get a starting point.....

Thanks for your help.......
P.s. Will post additional info as i get it......

Use 2.255" then. "Safe" mag length is 2.250", but most mags will fit up to about 2.260", so the Speer length is good.

EDIT: By safe, I mean that it will easily fit in any AR mag.

Back
Top Bottom