• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for info on a S&W DA 45

Usual story. A friend gets a couple guns from an old relative. My friend doesn't know poop about guns but knows I know a little. [laugh]
It's a S&W DA 45
By looking up the serial number I think it was made around 1923-24.
I find confusing opinions about it. Some say it's not military and there is no collector value, on the S&W forum I found a post stating that it is collectible because they made far fewer of the commercial versions.
Condition is not so great, but it could be a great shooter. Also I read it can be shot with or without moon clips. If it's not worth much I'll give him $100 for it, clean it up and shoot it.
SWDA45002.jpg

SWDA45001.jpg

In the condition as shown it might make a good project gun, IF it is mechanically sound. It might be something Greg Derr would take on. You might want to try posting it on the S&W Forum, http://smith-wessonforum.com/ to see what they might have to say.

Here's it's rug mate. Seems the S&W has some problems. One being a possible bent ejector rod. I'm going to make an offer on both.
rugersix002.jpg

Okay what you probably have is a commercial M1917. If there are no markings other than S&W markings it is most definitely a commercial model. Commercial Models made after WWI had checkered grips but not the Magna type that is on your revolver which were introduced on commercial models in 1938. Check the grips and see if they are serial numbered to your revolver. If they are, then then you would have a post-1938 vintage revolver.

You may have a commercial model from the post WWI era.

After WWII 10,000 frames were purchased back from the government by S&W. The frames and parts date from the 1930's and were sold as late as 1949 and 1950. They were in serial number range S209792 and S210782 and these are quite rare. Note: the S prefix indicates the safety block system introduced circa 1944. According to Supica and Nahas not all post WWII 1917's had the S prefix.

An M1917 regardless of vintage is a neat revolver to have IMO, as long as it is in shooting condition. (Naturally if you had one ANIB or Excellent you probably wouldn't want to fire it). This might be a good project gun...but absence of any military markings it is commercial and the Magna stocks that came with it might not be original.

If you are willing to spend the money, you can always write S&W for a factory letter.

Also check out the S&W Forum.

The Brazilian military contract model of 1937 had the Brazilian crest stamped on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom