• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for HSC member to shoot with

Hello everyone,
I'm a prior service Marine who is relatively new to Massachusetts and am just now starting to really get in to the shooting sports scene here. Harvard Sportsmens Club seems to be the place to be for action sports in central Mass. I have gone to the Metrowest Tactical Into to IDPA course as well as attending a weeknight practice. I would like to find a current HSC member to get some range time in with over some weekends for an eventual sponsorship in to the club.

I was looking at HSC before I joined WPRC and I have to say I'm happier there and they have quite a bit of what Harvard offers. IDPA, classes, pin shoots, etc. Depending on where you are this might be less of a hike.

Ooh Ra! Welcome to MA! So you moved here on purpose? (I'm sorry... LOL)

So what I believe you'll find, is that while "everyone's trying to get into Harvard", there aren't many people out there who will actually offer up an opportunity for you to join them.

Over the years, HSC has made their club almost impossible to join for any "new member coming in off the street" (which you've probably seen).

While this mostly thanks to a couple of D-Bag / Yahoos who couldn't follow simple gun safety rules, and couldn't vouch for the clowns they recommended for new memberships, as a result, HSC is now nearly impossible to join - unless you know someone who is already a member and in good standing.

Even then, that member still has to write a "letter of recommendation" for you, and after a few other hurdles, you're then given the "opportunity" to be offered a membership.

IMHO they've offended A LOT of people who would otherwise have been great members and great additions to the club and community. So I'd think twice before giving them any of my money, personally.

Over the years? That change was pretty recent.

IMHO what they did is still 1000 times better than the alternative, which would have been a membership cap, and at a place like HSC which retains most of its members, that would be a pretty stiff cap/waitlist. I am not shocked they did that, honestly, a huge spike in gun owners after 2013, induced this, and they likely flowed in a mass exodus wave as they "bounced off of" the crap ton of "meh" 95 loop fudd clubs that everyone hates (they'll never admit it in public, but secretly they do, and they retain their memeberships at those places because of convenience) and only the lazebags who won't drive anywhere can tolerate.... so over the past 10+ years a lot of new HSC blood are all expats/escapees from the fudd prison camp trash clubs, but also there's just been a big influx in general because of new gun owners and the location is such that people from different regions drive there to shoot.

Also don't be surprised if more decent clubs a little further from the garbage-loop start doing the same kinds of things to limit new membership....

I'm not an HSC member but given the circumstances of what has transpired since 2013 I can easily understand why and how they came to doing what they did.

-Mike

Weasel6Actual,

HSC is a great club. Don’t put too much stock in the first response because if he hadn’t stated he wasn’t a member of HSC I would have guessed it as he doesn’t seem in tune with what is going on.

I make the monthly meetings when I’m in town (so about half of them). New members still seem to be joining every month. I expect someone aligned with your interest will PM you.

That is enough of that. Let’s get back on topic. If you don’t have an offer of help for the OP and just want to criticize HSC, do it in a different thread.

Hello everyone,
I'm a prior service Marine who is relatively new to Massachusetts and am just now starting to really get in to the shooting sports scene here. Harvard Sportsmens Club seems to be the place to be for action sports in central Mass. I have gone to the Metrowest Tactical Into to IDPA course as well as attending a weeknight practice. I would like to find a current HSC member to get some range time in with over some weekends for an eventual sponsorship in to the club.
Come on down to the HAS USPSA practice nights on Wed....or the first USPSA match May 12th. Lots of club members. The club breakfasts are also a good way to get to know the club/members.

Back
Top Bottom