Looking for Enfield info

I'm interested in making my next purchase an Enfield #4. I searched on here for a while, but what I'm looking for is a recommended website to buy C&R rifles, or at least a good site to compare prices. Not looking for a collector, but a good shooter. What little I did read I think it would be cool to have a Savage.

J&G has some listed: http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/enfield/p/enfield-%234-mk-1-303-british-good-condition/cPath/209_492/products_id/4175

You could also try Gunbroker and see what things are going for there.

Great choice, by the way. The Enfield is the best mil-surp. battle rifle out there, in my opinion. Accurate and smooth,The only downside to them is ammo. Not a lot of surplus ammo out there anymore, but you can find it if you look.

The Savages are nice, but my favorites are the No. 4 MK II made by Fazakerley. These were the latest production rifles with all the updates, the most important being the trigger hinging on the receiver instead of the trigger guard, which fixed the problem of inconsistent trigger pull if the wood stock swelled.

Mine is a No. 4 MK1 from Fazakerley, IIRC. It was my first rifle, which I bought at a gun show for $100. I can't remember if I bought it Foxborough or Marlboro. I think Foxborough. It's a pretty darn good shooter for $100.

Mine is a No. 4 MK1 from Fazakerley, IIRC. It was my first rifle, which I bought at a gun show for $100. I can't remember if I bought it Foxborough or Marlboro. I think Foxborough. It's a pretty darn good shooter for $100.

Those were good times when you could get an Enfield for that price - I bought several! Looks like they have gone up quite a bit since then.

.303 Brit ammo is hard to come-by these days. Northshore has some currently. If you're planning on getting one, I suggest you run up there to make sure you have something to shoot out of it.

What gun store is that and where is it?

Northshore Firearms in middleton on rt 114. Mike and Mike are awesome guys. Call ahead to make sure it's still there (as this was 3 weeks ago), but they had more than I have seen in a while there.

.303 Brit ammo is hard to come-by these days. Northshore has some currently. If you're planning on getting one, I suggest you run up there to make sure you have something to shoot out of it.

+1

I have been buying up all the non-corrosive surplus (Greek & South African) .303 that I run into. I have a lot of WWII British and Canadian also, but all of that is corrosive. Factory ammo (PPU, etc...) can get expensive.

what kind of $$ are you guys spending on factory ammo?

I've gotten Przvi Partizan @ $15.99/20, which is the best price I've found. Does anybody provide quality reloads in Eastern MA? I already asked qmmo and he doesn't reload it.

I found a guy that had a bunch of South African, so I bought him out.

I don't reload (I know that I should, though). I just buy a lot of surplus when I run into it from gun shows, friends who have too much, or referred sellers on different forums. I'd rather have too much inventory than not enough. Its like the ammo for my Garands, I just keep on buying it.

It's pretty easy to find the Privi 303 from the usual mail-order suspects, but it's $14 a box and up. Last year there seemed to be a bunch of old POF .303 around as well, but that all dried up. Sellier and Bellot .303 used to be pretty available retail but the only stuff I've seen lately has been pushing $20! It's nice brass, but the Privi brass is pretty nice too.

My first Enfield came complete with a lifetime supply of brass. I think it's all Winchester and S&B, but there are probably a few other oddballs in the lot. Anyway, no complaints about any of it.

I got into cruffling about 11 years ago, and from the ads in Shotgun News, it seemed like there was an endless lifetime supply of SA .303 and Swiss GP-11, not to mention rifles to fire it all at pocket change prices. Mosin-Nagants were so cheap that it was considered dumpster diving.

Had I been around the collecting scene longer, I would have understood to strike while the iron was hot. I didn't, so I only have a small amount of PMP '86 .303, and just a couple of boxes of GP-11 left. On the other hand, I have one Polish Radom M-44 and one Turk M-38 (the only survivor of a 5-fer from J&G, my first official CRFFL purchase), and roughly a trajillion rounds for each. Two rifles I love to shoot, no ammo except commercial or handloads; two I don't care to shoot, all the ammo in the world. (The Radom M44 does have an exceptionally sweet trigger; I just hate the bolt.)

Back
Top Bottom