Looking for Data: Which (auto)press should I buy? Spreadsheet v0.2

Thanks for all your posts on the last thread. I've renamed the spreadsheet to address some considerations. I think I've addressed much of the actionable feedback from the last thread (forgive me if I missed something).

Today, I am not looking for opinions, but I could still use help with actual facts. I appreciate your indulgence. (I will next be asking on the competition-focused forums)

Link to Spreadsheet

Real Press Setup Costs
  • Items marked in red are still very fuzzy to me. Any accurate, recent information would be great help.
  • For the (auto)press costs overall: I'm intending to kit it out with everything that makes it 1) easy and 2) reliable, to do all four of those classes of rounds with high quality, so that I will actually do it instead of revert to just buying ammo.
  • I know this means dies, but it also means various items like different bullet and case feeders (and/or caliber conversion kits), different primer handling, etc.
  • Tumbling/cleaning/polishing (do you need multiple rigs for that to handle all 4? I'm assuming one)
  • I can't tell what's a bell or whistle and what actually is better (e.g. things like the Mark VII sensors)
  • I don't feel like I'm getting a straight dollar-cost answers by just looking at websites: e.g. if I want to do 4 calibers, do I need 4 DAA Mr.Bulletfeeders, or 2 with 2 conversions, or 1 with 3 conversions? Are the accessories/dies &c for a 1050XL way more expensive than a 650? Etc.
    • I do have an email out Mark VII sales for this sort of thing, I just don't want to be pollyannish about future expenses.
  • I will be starting with 9 and 45, but want to know the whole price going in.
Competition ammo components prices of each class (I will also ask in other forums)
  • I would appreciate more reliable values (no sale prices) to fill in the fields now marked in red, with more accurate, reliable and consistent information.
  • The goal is, I guess, to be able to generate 'average competition ammo', at least as reliable as factory, of each class
    • Thus, not very long range shooting ammo that is better done on a single stage press under lab-controlled conditions.
    • But, should be able to produce better, more tailored overall rounds than you would get from factory competition ammo.
  • Thus, no skimping on the cheapest stuff possible for reloading components.
Thanks again.

Your prices for 9mm and .45 ACP are artificially high because of the high number you're using for brass. Limiting my commentary to .45 ACP because that's the one I have the most experience with, even if you were to buy brand-new brass from, e.g., Starline, the brass can be reloaded so many times the price per loaded round is on the order of $.001.

Back
Top Bottom