Looking for club or range with sporting clays course, central MA

I’m in the Worcester area, and looking for a place to do sporting clays.

I had the distinct pleasure of participating in the Matt Light Celebrity Shootout fundraiser last fall, which introduced me to the sport. I wasn’t very good at it my first time out, but had an absolute blast. I would love to find a nearby place I can participate on a more regular basis.

I’ve seen a few clubs that offer trap and/or skeet, which I will certainly be sure to try as well - but I loved the fact that every station in sporting clays offered different challenges.

Thanks in advance!

I've been to the Matt Light Celebrity shootout and it's an amazing time. Glad you enjoyed it.
How far is Soutborough or Hopkinton from you? Both of those clubs offer Skeet and Trap.
Or Harvard Sportsmens?

You're only issue right now is Covid and clubs being closed. May have to wait a month or two for things to die down before you're allowed to tour some of these facilites.

It may be a bit of a hike, depending upon what part of Worcester you're in, but Petersham Gun Club has a sporting clays course and is pretty big into it. Unfortunately they're closed right now, 'cause COVID.

Springfield Sportsman's Club in Monson, MA has a sporting clays course and weekly shoots during the warmer months. Obviously closed down right now. Not exactly Worcester area, but not too long of a drive, and the dues are very reasonable and there's no work requirement or secret handshake bullshit to join.

Springfield Sportsman's Club in Monson, MA has a sporting clays course and weekly shoots during the warmer months. Obviously closed down right now. Not exactly Worcester area, but not too long of a drive, and the dues are very reasonable and there's no work requirement or secret handshake bullshit to join.
Wait, those three members that made me hold their junk for 6 minutes each lied?!?!

Addieville East isn't far from Worcester. Just in RI
If you're a resident of MA, can you join a RI club? Or do you have to get a RI nonresident license?

And I just realized that OP has been to Addieville. That's where he shot for the Matt Light Shootout.

Last edited:
Addieville East isn't far from Worcester. Just in RI

Addieville is fine if he's just trying to shoot sporting clays but wouldn't work if he's looking for a full-service gun club. I would instead recommend Wallum Lake RGC, which is in the same general area and also has sporting clays, but is a full gun club:

Sporting Clays

If you're a resident of MA, can you join a RI club? Or do you have to get a RI nonresident license?

(1) Mass residents can join RI clubs.
(2) Mass residents don't need a RI carry permit to bring guns to a RI range, only if you want to carry into RI, e.g. leaving your home in Mass while concealed carrying and drive to the range while strapped.
(3) Mass residents need a CORI to apply to Wallum Lake. RI residents need a "BCI." Each club is going to handle Mass residents a little differently.

https://www.wallumlakerodgun.com/images/documents/MembershipApplicationMay2017.pdf

Thanks all - so far the best contenders seem to be Addieville, Wallum Lake, and Petersham. All are around 45 mins or so away - without traffic - which is a bit more than I was hoping for. So keep 'em coming - for the right club, I guess I'll do the drive. A place with an indoor pistol range would be a nice bonus, so I can keep my sidearm from gathering too much moss, as well.

I'm aware of the pandemic shutting everything down, and figured I can start researching likely candidates now, so I can start checking them out in person once the closures are lifted. I'm in the process of purchasing a shotgun, which will probably take a few weeks to get into my hands anyway.

Thanks all - so far the best contenders seem to be Addieville, Wallum Lake, and Petersham. All are around 45 mins or so away - without traffic - which is a bit more than I was hoping for. So keep 'em coming - for the right club, I guess I'll do the drive. A place with an indoor pistol range would be a nice bonus, so I can keep my sidearm from gathering too much moss, as well.

I'm aware of the pandemic shutting everything down, and figured I can start researching likely candidates now, so I can start checking them out in person once the closures are lifted. I'm in the process of purchasing a shotgun, which will probably take a few weeks to get into my hands anyway.

You may not find a club that fits all of your needs, but it may be worth it to join more than one. There are a handful of smaller clubs that can offer Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun ranges close to you. (Worcester Pistol Rifle Club & Auburn Sportsmans Club).
Use those as your main shooting club, and use the 3 you mentioned above for sporting clays.

Im not sure about Wallum and Petersham, but I know Addieville is a pay as you come type venue. So join a smaller club like Auburn (150ish/year) and just pay when you want to shoot Sporting clays.

Home - Clay Targets Online is a great resource to find out what clubs offer for clay target. Im not sure how up to date the info is, but its a good list to start calling places.

Hopkinton does have a sporting clays course as well that is open on certain Sundays (see club calendar) when we are not under a shutdown order from the state...... as we are now.

Wallum Lake has a brand new, recently-refurbished indoor pistol range, in addition to a rifle range where pistols are allowed and outdoor pistol popper action bays.

Back
Top Bottom