looking for an opinion on FA91 rifles

I'm in the market for my first semi auto long rifle, and my price range is approximately that of the WASR-10. In fact, my mind was pretty much made up to go out and pick up my first AK.

Then, I started running into FA91s (HK 91 clone, pretty much one of my dream guns), and they are also around the price that I'm looking to spend. Some research has led me to understand that there is an issue with head space as the rifle heats up, causing a hard cocking condition (supposedly this is due to the cast aluminum receiver). Some sources say that as the rifle wears in, this is corrected. Others are warning interested buyers to stay away and wait to get a PTR91 or SAR-8, or just save up for the genuine article.

Anyone here have any experience with them? Is it worth getting one because the price is right, or should I just stick to the AK and get a higher quality clone in the future?

I'd pick an FA91 over an AK. In fact, I did. I own an FA91 and I am very happy with it. It has never given me any trouble at all, it is a well built rifle. I also know that if a problem does crop up as some others have had, I have a very good parts set to use with a replacement receiver.

Do you want a .308 or 7.62x39? The x39 is cheaper to shoot. The .308 is more accurate at longer range and has better penetration. Also, I'm not a reloader but have been consistently told that you just aren't going to be able to reload the .308 after it's been through the FA91 or any other HK/clone because of the fluted chamber.

If you do decide on the FA91 (or aluminum SAR-8, it is the exact same receiver made by the same shop - DC Industries), pay attention to the price. I've seen them listed used at within $100 or so of a new PTR and in that case I would choose the PTR. But if you keep an eye on Gunbroker and have a bit of patience, you should be able to pick one up for about $500.

Stick with the AK and get a quality G3 down the road. If you want a G3... H&K, PTR-91, or the Greek SAR3/8 (not the parts kit "8" w/ cast aluminum US receiver). The cast aluminum receiver rifles can be problematic... and if you shoot enough, definitely will be. The cocking tube is welded to the FSF because of the use of the cast aluminum receiver vs the standard stamped steel, this can cause cocking issues as the BBL heats up from firing.

WASR's can be hit or miss. Watch out for rust, canted FSB's, RSB's, & GB's. Order one from Henderson Defense, they inspect them prior to shipping them out.
http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?productId=78&categoryId=4

Also, look into a converted Saiga (AK USA or Krebs)... or save yourself some money and convert one yourself.

There's also the Vz.58's from Czech Point USA, which are excellent. These are "better" than an AK. Better ergo's, just as reliable, and more accurate.

Do you want a .308 or 7.62x39? The x39 is cheaper to shoot. The .308 is more accurate at longer range and has better penetration. Also, I'm not a reloader but have been consistently told that you just aren't going to be able to reload the .308 after it's been through the FA91 or any other HK/clone because of the fluted chamber.
I've found that this is true for some softer brass but doesn't seem to be a problem with milsurp brass. You'll still get flute marks but these are usually just carbon and will eventually come off in a tumbler. The one downside to the G3 & clones is that they destroy the side of the brass when it hits the sharp edge on the ejection port. This can be fixed by adding a port buffer which will save most of the brass.

I would love one of these. Can they be had in MA?

Yes, they are MA legal as is (the D-Tec's that is). No bayo lug, fixed stock (the fixed folders are NICE!). The BBL on the VZ.58 is 15" and some change, so the FSB has a BBL extension attached to it to bring it to legal length.

These are imported single stack rifles and are opened up in the US to accept the standard Vz.58 mags. The receiver and BBL are new production and the rest of the parts are NOS factory parts.

ALL of the 30rd Vz.58 mags are pre-ban.

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/vz-58-rifles/

Price up a new production milled AK from Arsenal Inc ($1550), the Vz.58's are a steal at $900 (shipping and FFL fee included, comes w/ two mags, sling, & cleaning kit).

ORF has the US parts kits if you need them for parts count.

Picked up a FA91 today that needs TLC. Anyone know where I can find dissassembly instructions? Also looking for a magazine and source of parts.

Thanks

FA91 is from federal arms. Which I believe Centuryarms bought out recently. you may check with them?

I had an early PTR-91, it was an awesome HK clone. I regret selling it. That said, make sure you shoot one before you buy this is a unique platform with plenty of pluses, but some minuses too (heavy, poor ergonomics, big time recoil, not chrome linned).

Back
Top Bottom