• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for advice on steel target

Looking to purchase a steel target that I can use to practice with. Ideally I would like to shoot both 40 cal as well as 223 w/ it.

Looking to get one that 'reactive' - any suggestions.

Found this one 'evil roy' online - http://www.actiontarget.com/spt_pt_cowboy_targets.html

There is a big difference between .40 and .223. I had some 1/4 inch thick mild steel 8 inch dia plates made up for relatively short money over 20 years ago and they are still going strong. I use lead, plated, and jacketed bullets with a 175 pf max.

223 will require a much more expensive alloy. I would consider using two different types of targets; mild steel for pistol, and armor plate for .223, if your wallet can absorb the cost.

For rifle targets look for the 'flash' type USPSA or 3gun targets. They are designed to take rifle rounds. Most targets designed for cowboy shooting will probably take quite a beating from rifle targets. 223 would punch a clean hole through the older versions, we used to have a lot of trouble with non-cowboy shooters shooting holes through our cowboy targets....

Mild steel is ok for light duty pistol use but I would still use armor plate. .223 I would us ar500 no closer than 100 yards.

Look here

I had bought a spinner steel target rated for up to 44 mag and took that with a friend to a 200 yard range. We shot at it for a while and probably hit it every other time. When we went down to get it I was surprised to see how deep the 223's penetrated. It wasn't an expensive target but there was no way it would last long doing that.

Mild steel is ok for light duty pistol use but I would still use armor plate. .223 I would us ar500 no closer than 100 yards.

absolutely. a guy at work made me a 6" diameter x 1/2" thick mild steel hanger. Standard 55grn privi didn't punch through, but left a hell of a dent! Now I can't use if for pistol because the splatter will be erratic.

I do have some 12" diameter x 1.5" thick SST disks that I want to try for .223, but I suspect they'll take a beating too.

absolutely. a guy at work made me a 6" diameter x 1/2" thick mild steel hanger. Standard 55grn privi didn't punch through, but left a hell of a dent! Now I can't use if for pistol because the splatter will be erratic.

I do have some 12" diameter x 1.5" thick SST disks that I want to try for .223, but I suspect they'll take a beating too.

here ya' go:
IMG_3134.jpg

That's privi 55grn .223 into 1.5" thick 304 or 316 SST. holes are about 3/8" deep and 1/2" diameter.

here ya' go:
IMG_3134.jpg

That's privi 55grn .223 into 1.5" thick 304 or 316 SST. holes are about 3/8" deep and 1/2" diameter.

Well you had a pretty nice group that will last forever.
I was surprised when I put a magnetic screwdriver on the Privi that it had a steel core in the bullet. I liked that ammo enough that I picked up a second case of it.

For handguns an old railroad cleat actually works pretty well, at least for 9mm, .40, and .45. NEVER shoot rifles at it though...

Also, if you buy real rifle steel, I'd only ever use it on a range where you have control of the shooters, to some degree. (or at least, where you can ask them to not shoot at your target and they'll actually listen... ) All it takes is one guy shooting M855, or S+B .223 etc to start messing up expensive steel.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom