• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for Advice on Second Pistol Purchase

I am looking to buy a full size semi auto pistol. I plan to get a 9mm as my carry piece is a 9 mm and I have loads of brass, primers, and projectiles to reload in 9 mm, so I think that staying in the same caliber makes sense. I currently carry a Walther PPS which I love as a concealed carry piece. I am just looking for a full sized pistol.

I have sort of narrowed the field to a Berreta 92 FS and a Glock 17 (I am open to other suggestions, but these seem to be at the top of the list). Both have their pluses and minuses. I like the Berreta as I can buy it new in Massachusetts and there are plenty of pre-ban mags arround. It does have an external safety/decocker, but is DA/SA which I am not used to firing. The Glock on the other hand, is what I believe is called, srtiker fired (which is simillar to my Walther). There are also lots of pre-ban mag available and its safety system is very simillar to my Walther. On the downside I can not buy this new in Massachusetts.

What thoughts, comments, suggestions do owners of these two pistols have? Can anyone suggest any other simillar pistols? I plan to carry my Walther as my concealed carry weapon, and would likely only carry a new pistol once in a while, but use it at the range.

Thanks.

I am looking to buy a full size semi auto pistol. I plan to get a 9mm as my carry piece is a 9 mm and I have loads of brass, primers, and projectiles to reload in 9 mm, so I think that staying in the same caliber makes sense. I currently carry a Walther PPS which I love as a concealed carry piece. I am just looking for a full sized pistol.

I have sort of narrowed the field to a Berreta 92 FS and a Glock 17 (I am open to other suggestions, but these seem to be at the top of the list). Both have their pluses and minuses. I like the Berreta as I can buy it new in Massachusetts and there are plenty of pre-ban mags arround. It does have an external safety/decocker, but is DA/SA which I am not used to firing. The Glock on the other hand, is what I believe is called, srtiker fired (which is simillar to my Walther). There are also lots of pre-ban mag available and its safety system is very simillar to my Walther. On the downside I can not buy this new in Massachusetts.

What thoughts, comments, suggestions do owners of these two pistols have? Can anyone suggest any other simillar pistols? I plan to carry my Walther as my concealed carry weapon, and would likely only carry a new pistol once in a while, but use it at the range.

Thanks.

This one is avail.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/120124-Glock-19-4th-Gen

Not my ad.

ETA I see it's not full size, I haven't finished my coffee.

Last edited:
These are all great choices. Beretta, Glock, Sig, S&W are all good names and you can't go wrong with any of them. This being said, the price on Glocks in Mass always shocks me (usually $100 to $200 more than the price of a new gun).

What are you looking to do with a full size pistol? Are you looking at target shooting, plinking, hunting, CCW, home defense?

I've only experience with the Glock, cannot comment on the Beretta.

Since it's a range gun mostly...I would pick the one with a better trigger, and one that has a reputation for accuracy. Glock's can easily be retrofitted by anyone with a brain with a 3.5# connector in about 15 minutes....which can really aid when target shooting. However Glock triggers are no picnic either.....Beretta may have a better trigger don't know.

There are plenty of Glock 17's in shops...refurbs usually, can be had for 400-500 bucks. Nearly NIB glocks can be found on this site from time to time in Classifeds as well. Even Gen 4's.

If you buy an M&P in MA and want accuracy of a range gun, plan on a trigger change, the ones in MA are horrid and average well over 10#. And of course, you'll have no hicaps available with it.....

Nothing wrong with a Sig either.....

beretta and sig both have much better triggers than the glock IMO. although i love the sig 228/229, i'd vote for the beretta if i absolutely had to.

What are you looking to do with a full size pistol? Are you looking at target shooting, plinking, hunting, CCW, home defense?

I am just looking for a plinking/target gun, but my thought with a full sized pistol is that I can get a hi-cap mag for home defense - my Walther is a single stack with 8+1

Yeah, Beretta is a good choice. What about the Ruger SR9? From what I've heard, the early SR9 had a crappy trigger but since the SR9c came out with the enhanced trigger the standard SR9 trigger has improved.

For a range gun I'd vote for a Beretta (I'm a little biased, love the lines of it). Grips are quite large though and may not be for every one. If you do go Beretta, buy a D-spring as it is well worth it (Easy, easy swap). I can't compare it to an M&P, but compared to the SR9, the Beretta makes me smile more.

You gotta hold them to see.
I love the look of the Beretta but I can't fit my hands around it very well.
I like the ergonomics about the M&P but I find them less reliable and durable than the Glocks.
Maybe a Springfield XD if you can find it? A little heavy but supposedly a nice gun as well. I don't have much experience with them.

Come to the NES/Mansfield F&G Shoot and you'll probably be able to try all of them out and make a good informed decision after that. [Check the NES Members forum for details.]

I own a Beretta 92FS and love it. It was my first pistol and if I were to do it over I would still get that one first. With that said, I would go with a Sig next and then a Glock (personal preferences). I do own a Glock 22, but not a Sig (gotta save the pennies up, they are expensive). The Sig P226/229 is definately next on my list. Being a Mass resident it really limits a lot of brands that look like they would be great but are rare to very hard to find (thanks Marcia).

No one's mentioned a Browning Hi-Power yet? [smile] Definitely cruise the classifieds, as you'll greatly open up your options for firearms if you consider FTF purchases.

If you are considering steel framed pistols, you might consider a Jericho 941. There are some pre-98 models floating around in gun shops, and you could get lucky and get a new(ish) one FTF.

Be sure to hold ( if not shoot) both pistols before deciding. ( Better yet, go out and handle 15-20 different brands/models.) Many people with less than mitt sized hands find both/ many double stack pistols to have large/fat grips that are uncomfortable. Personally I feel that the S&W M&P has it all over the glock in many areas. The adjustable grip size, low bore access and drop in trigger parts make the M&P's a joy to shoot IMHO.

The Browning high power and Sig P226 would be other considerations in a slightly higher price range.

Last edited:
I love my Browning Hi Powers. I have three of them. As a New York reload, it gives me 28 shots from both hands. *grin*

I liked the Beretta a lot when I shot it but as usual I have to recommend my Sig 229. I love it. Everyone I have let shoot it loves it. Can't complain. 226 is a touch bigger and also comes in 9. People's complains about the slide release being too easy to rest your thumb on are def. justified though.

I finally shot a Glock this weekend and I see why people like them. I shot it better than any of the other poly guns I've shot. I still find the sig much more comfortable to shoot though. For a carry gun I can see why anyone would want a Glock. For a range gun I find the Sig just has a nicer feel to it and is even more comfortable to put a lot of ammo through.

Last edited:
i'd get the G17 since it functions the same way as your PPS. this will allow to you train with a similar platform.

I would definitely say go with the Beretta. I have an older 92FS Inox, and I have to say, it is by far my favorite of the pistols I own.

It eats any ammo you throw at it without a problem, and always fires. Not to mention, I'm surgical with it. Definitely a +1 on the Beretta from me.

However, I must say, my father's got a P226, and I think that's his favorite 9mm...

The choice is yours. I'd recommend going to shoot both and then making a decision.

Thanks for everyone's input. Budget is a bit of a factor. I have handled all three guns, but I have not fired them. I have fired and carried my Dad's M&P 9 full sized and it is so-so. I am glad that everyone seems to agree that my pool of candidates are good choices.

Get the Beretta 92FS - outstanding gun. I've had mine for 2 years - never a jam or any problem whatsoever.
The weight is perfect too. The US military didn't choose it for a sidearm for nothing !

Back
Top Bottom