• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for advice on boots

Anybody here knowledgeable about boots? I'm looking to buy a good pair and would like to become better informed before investing. I'd like to find something suitable for long hikes over rough terrain, hunting, etc. preferably for three seasons.

Danner is the way to go. I like my Rocky's but my sole is destroyed and a bunch of others have had sole problems with Rocky's.

Red wing is my favorite. I have a nice pair of snake boots by them that I can wear hiking all day and not feel tired. They also double as my snow boots since they are warm, high (to keep snow out), and slip on and off easily.

I bought a pair of Vasque boots from REI a couple of weeks ago. Most comfortable Ive ever owned. I took them on a 5 mile hike the day I got them and didn't have any hot spots.

I have had great results from Danner Acadias:
acadia.jpg

Not all Danners are made in the USA. I've got a pair of 453 GTX's
that are great boots, but they are made in China:
GBJNFHOLNNBJDCHA.jpg

I've got a pair of Rocky's also, but the heel box is too big for my feet. They give me blisters. I only use them for walking out to the wood furnace / wood shed in the winter.

I'm no boot guru, but I bought two pairs of Italian Vibram boots from LL Bean (Bean's model Cresta), one for me, and one for the wife. We both love them, and will buy them again. They've been with us for fall backpacking in the northeast, rain forest hikes in the Caribbean, and even a couple of Siberian winter day hikes. Technically they're a 3-season boot, but with warm socks, they'll definitely keep you dry (although they may be a bit short for deep muck).

Last edited:
I'm no boot guru, but I bought two pairs of Italian Vibram boots from LL Bean (Bean's model Cresta), one for me, and one for the wife. We both love them, and will buy them again. They've been with us for fall backpacking in the northeast, rain forest hikes in the Caribbean, and even a couple of Siberian winter day hikes. Technically they're a 3-season boot, but with warm socks, they'll definitely keep you dry (although they may be a bit short for deep muck).

I believe Vibram is just the sole... though with that said, they do make great soles. Ive got at least 3 pairs of outdoor footwear currently (from trail runners to expedition boots) that utilize Vibrams.

I think an important question, to answer the OP's question, is what type of boot is he looking for? Ie: what purpose will it serve??

I believe good boots are all about fit. There are a lot of manufacturers out there who make excellent boots, and they all have a slightly different idea on how feet are shaped. If you can find a store that has a variety of brands, and competent salespeople, it will be worth the effort. Otherwise, you could be spending a lot of time & money on ordering and returning boots until you find the right brand/model for you.

That said, Cabelas Outfitter boots are well made boots, and fit me great. If you're anywhere near one of there stores, it's a good place to try on a lot of different boots in one place.

Another Red Wing boot fan here. I live in my Logger boots year round, & have an uninsulated summer pair, light insulated spring/fall pair, & the super Gortex pair for the winter. Very good quality, & made in America (although I understand that not all Redwings are made here).

I have had the 3 pairs for 9, 8, & 4 years, respectively. I've had the two oldest pairs resoled, & they're still going strong. The initial $200+ doesn't seem so steep when you realize how long they last.

Last edited:
Danner, Matterhorn, and Belleville, not necessarily in that order. All high quality and MADE IN USA. Just an FYI: the non "military" Danners are not Made in USA anymore.

I wear Asolo 520s. I have had mine re-soled as I put almost 500 miles on them in two years. They cost a bit over $200 but quite literally last a lifetime unless you are thru-hiking the AT each year.

I don't think you need much more than that for general hiking on rough terrain. I'd opt for a lower boot and to pack small gaiters than have to wear high-top hunting boots on summer hikes.

Are you going to be on trails mainly, or bushwacking? Bushwacking is the only situation i'd opt for full-height combat looking boots. I think mainly you need to look for:
-Gortex? Do you need it and do you want it?
-Full shank, half shank, no shank? Just how rough will the terrain be? A full shank does wonders for stability on horrible terrain but youre going to be making sacrifices in comfort. I wear half-shank boots.
-Breakin Period: Any boot that is designed to last forever will most likely require a significant break in period. Lowa boots are nearly sneaker-comfort out of the box, but I wouldnt want to put more than 50 miles a year on them.
-Synthetic or leather? Both have advantages and disadvantages in durability and weight.

FWIW, if you are just doing day hikes mainly, you should mostly be focusing on fit and comfort. Once you get into heavy pack backpacking, comfort sometimes becomes a product of how well you have "broken" the boots to fit your feet, as "real" backpacking boots are brutal right out of the box.

Personally if I were you, I'd head down to REI in reading and pick their brains. The vast majority of the people working the shoe department may not look like it, but have more miles under their feet than anyone i've ever met. They will overwhelm you with feedback if you ask the right questions. Ask for the "resident boot expert" and chances are you'll get a prior thru-hiker.

Last edited:
Cove fan here.

Brand names will be Corcoran and Matterhorn. USA made. http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/

Been wearing their products for years, absolutely LOVE them, they work, 4 seasons usable, even under tough conditions. Boots on my feet as I type this are Corcoran summer boots (Desert tan, of course).

http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=4395&CategoryID=28

The downside is the cost. You should be able to get them from VT Army/Navy, and have them direct shipped from the factory. Saves a little money, though they can still get expensive.

Last edited:
Another for Red Wings. I've worn nothing but for almost 20 years. One pair for summer another for winter. To boot they are made in the US.

Hanwag (if cost is no object) or Meindl - you can find the Meindl at Cabela's. The Alska model kicks azz.

Danner with a capital D. Have had all different brands in the past and bit the bullet about 10 years ago for a pair of Danner Mountain Light 2s for hiking and general wear. I've resoled them 4 times in 10 years only because I wear them all the time. The came nearly broken in and felt like slippers out of the box. I'm a big fan of buying American made products (most of Danners are) and do whatever I can to facilitate that. You could buy a $50 pair of something else only to get new ones every other year or cough up the 200 bones for a pair that will last forever. Help stimulate the economy by buying American, you won't regret it.

I really like my Chippewa logging boots (http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/default.asp)

The tread is aggressive, steel toed, and they are built to last. Also made in the USA.

They'll set you back, but they'll last a long time.

only boots i wear

Me too. I have 2 pairs, one insulated and one non. They are incredibly comfortable and they have held up great for me.

http://www.onlinebootstore.com/

That is the cheapest place I have found for boots.

Red Wing fan here. I have really wide feet and they always fit well. I currently have two pairs of everyday shoes that are Red Wings and a pair of boots that are 7 years old and still going strong.

Two brands: Merrell, and Garmont. Have seen and used allot of different assault/ combat/ hiking boots. Their what I trust. To a lesser extent Danners are ok but nearly of the caliber of the two former brands. Check out the Garmont T8 and Merrell Sawtooth their what I use for mission I cant speak any higher than that of a product.

LL Bean Great Products at reasonable prices.

Lifetime no questions asked guarantee. They stand by their products 100 percent.

That said it is all about what fits your needs and your feet best.

I picked up a pair of Italian made light hikers with Gore-Tex uppers and Vibram soles for $99.00 at the LL Bean Outlet. That is an outstanding value.

25 years, 3 careers, all of spent in boots.
For work boots I prefer Thorogoods.
For play, spend the dough and get some good Danners.
Watch out with the Redwings. Some are made in the US some are now imported.
Same with Chippewas. However, the Chippies may be heavy if you do a lot of hiking.

Try the boots on late in the day after your feet have "relaxed". Boots that fit good in the store first thing in the morning, may feel tight and pinch after a few hours hiking in the wood.

When I was still active duty Danners were coveted by everyone. Except for the price, I've never heard a serious gripe about them. Boots are definitely one of those few products where you really do get what you pay for.

I rock the Timberlands. My feet tend to sweat a lot, so I need boots that have good breathability, but good insulation at the same time.

I'll have to pick up a pair of Red Wings, seems everyone swears by them.

(Actually, I earned my Red Wings when I was 19. [wink])

Back
Top Bottom