• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for advice on a spotting scope

Monadnock

NES Member
Primary useage: identify holes on plain ol' b&w paper (no dirtybird or specialty targets) - .223 @ 200 yards

If it can't do that under reasonable daylight conditions, then I don't want it. I also do not care to drop more than
$150 to perhaps $200 on said scope. I've owned a more expensive (>$600) Bushnell spotting scope in-the-past, and found that while it's
neat to have that quality, it's just wasted for what I want to do. I already own a decent couple of pairs of binoculars, a
very good monocular, and an astronomical/terrestrial 80mm refractor telescope (that I could use as a spotter, in-a-pinch ...but
would prefer not to). The binocs are good out to 100 yards, but I just want an inexpensive, dedicated spotter for shooting.

I appreciate a decent eye relief ...at least 18mm if possible (meaning that I don't have to bury my eyeball into the zoom lens in
order to see the targeted object). Variable zoom up to at least 55 or 60 power with at a bare minimum; 60mm objective lense.
Some degree of weather-proofing would be nice, but not critical. A tripod ...whether table standing or floor is not really necessary.
I have tripods, and don't really need a cheapo include. The same goes for a case. While it'd be nice to get a decent solid case, a
soft case ...or no case, would be fine. Cases I have.

I have seen a number of Barska Blackhawks in use. They seem to be okay, and are fairly well reviewed on MidwayUSA's site.
Though on the personal side, when speaking with other shooters, I've heard some very mixed reviews.

Barska Blackhawk Spotting Scope 20-60x 60mm with Tripod and Hard Case Rubber Armored Green Product #: 765856
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productNumber=765856&utm_source=hd_barska_spotting_scope_txt&utm_medium=homepage081009
Our Price: $99.99Sale!
$119.99You save $20.00!
Sale expires Aug 31, 2009

...another MidwayUSA option:
Konus Spotting Scope 30-90x 70mm with Tripod and Soft Case Armored Black
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=623924
Product #: 623924

Orion:
Celestron Ultima 65 Spotting Scope Angled, 18-55x65mm Zoom
http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=cele_spot/~pcategory=celestronstore/~product_id=09115
Compact yet powerful, durable and waterproof, it's the perfect "take anywhere" spotter
Was: $149.95
Now: $119.95
You save: $30.00

...may be more than what I require ...perhaps
Celestron Ultima 80 Spotting Scope 20-60x 80mm
http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=cele_spot/~pcategory=celestronstore/~product_id=09114
The large 80mm lens delivers a bright image, even in low light conditions
$199.95
http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-ultima-80-spotting-scope.html
$175.99

NStar 30-90X90 SPOTTING SCOPE & TRIPOD WITH LENS COVER
http://www.combathunting.com/product.cgi?group=4475&product=4488
$136.00 / Each
Yeah ...very low price, and NStar to boot, but I've used one of these, and the light gathering ability is undeniable
and the full tripod's quality was a pleasant surprise ...my friend has one, and a year later it's still chugging along
...but the eye relief leaves something to be desired

So, if you have any constructive suggestions I'd like to hear them. Especially hands-on experience with scopes (in-the-range)
that I've mentioned.

And please, if your idea of an inexpensive scope consists of Leupold or Swarovsky optics, then I'm glad for you, but I really
don't need that feedback. Seeing .223 holes at 200 yards is my goal.

Thanks to those who respond with useful info.

Last edited:
Here's one that's a bit more expensive, but a name-brand. I was thinking of trying this one myself:
Leupold Green Ring Wind River Sequoia Spotting Scope 15 45x60 Black Angled Eyepiece

Yeah, I've actually looked through one of those. Great eye relief as stated, and very solid, but again, more than I really need, and more than I care to spend ...though close. If a good quality scope dipped to "near" the price neighborhood that I quoted earlier, I'd certainly consider it.

Been looking also, tried all that is found local for sub 200.00 cant see S... out of any ofthem.

That's a tough thing to find. Higher magnification isn't as good as it sounds. If it's crappy glass, you just magnify the "crappiness". Most shooters I know use 20x to 27x magnification, and can see .22 holes at 200yds.
Of the link choices you provided, I think the Celestrons are your best bet.

My recommendation is to get this scope here:
http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CHAMPION_S_CHOICE_25x,_62mm_W_TRIPOD_AND_HARD_CASE-3112.aspx

I bought one two years ago as a spare and think it is a very nice scope for under $200.

Do a Search here for "celestron". Back a few years ago there was a long discussion on optics and their spotting scopes came very highly recommended.

...may be more than what I require ...perhaps
Celestron Ultima 80 Spotting Scope 20-60x 80mm
The large 80mm lens delivers a bright image, even in low light conditions

I got it and love it, from Optics Planet I think

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I also read through all postings that I could find on the subject (LenS). A couple of cogent threads had been merged:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19527

I just placed an order through OpticsPlanet.com (I placed it before your post rep308 ...heh, heh, heh):

Celestron Ultima 80 Angled 45 Degree Spotting Scope Package 52250-OP - Ultima 80 Spotting Scope 52250 with Tripod 93606

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-ultima-80-angled-45-degree-spotting-scope-package-52250-op-ultima-80-spotti.html

$159 package (scope, Celestron Photographic full-sized tripod, carry bag) which includes UPS Ground ...a great price on a scope that I had targeted, and everyone's input reinforced. I own a Celestron telescope, so was aware of the quality optics rep.
BAK-4 glass etc.

The 80mm objective lens was the kicker ...more light gathering. I will probably not use the zoom very often. 20X will probably cover my requisites.

Here are the detailed specs:
Magnification
20x-60x
Field of view 1000 yards
105' @ 20x
Near Focus
27'
Eye Relief
18mm @ 20x
Exit Pupil
4mm @ 20x
Twilight Factor
40 @ 20x
Weight
3.6 lbs.
Aperture
80mm
Length
16"
Armored
Partial
Waterproof
Yes
Warranty
Limited Lifetime
Photographic Focal Length
480mm
Photographic Focal Ratio
f/6

* 80mm objective lens gathers over 77% more light than a 60mm scope for superior low light performance.

* The crown and flint glass optics are multicoated for good light transmission.

* The standard equipment 20-60x multicoated zoom eyepiece is specified at a generous 18mm eye relief at 20x. While this is technically correct, the actual usable eye relief of this and all other spotting scopes typically measures a mm or two less due to the recessing of the eyepiece when the soft rolldown rubber eyecup is in the down position for eyeglass use. There will be some minor vignetting of the field for eyeglass wearers at 20x. The specifications to the right are for the zoom set at 20x. At 60x, the field is 53’ at 1000 yards.

* The scope close focuses to 27’. Through the scope, looking at a bird at this distance at even 20x would effectively be the same as looking with your unaided eye from only 1’ 4" away.

Mechanical features of this scope . . .

* The scope’s long focusing knob is located at the top right front of the prism housing to allow precise focusing with either hand, even while wearing gloves or mittens. It is semi-recessed to resist snagging on clothing or carrying case and is grooved for a sure grip. Focusing is quite brisk compared to most scopes, with less than five turns of the focus knob needed to move from one end of the focus range to the other.

* The Ultima’s 45° viewing angle is generally more comfortable than straight-through viewing for watching treetop activity or for extended observing from a blind or back porch. It is also more convenient for observing couples of varying heights who must share a single scope, as there is little need to constantly raise and lower the tripod to a comfortable observing height for each observer. If you are tall, you will not have to crouch over to see through the Ultima 80, as you would a straight-through scope, saving you from a possible literal pain in the neck.

* A sighting tube built into the left side of the body allows fast centering of the scope on distant birds.

* The scope mounts on any photo tripod having a standard 1/4"-20 thread mounting bolt.

* The prism housing is lightly rubber armored to help shock-proof the optics.

* A water-shedding stay-on soft case is standard equipment. The case has zippered fold-back flaps so you can use the scope on a tripod while it is still in the case. The case has an adjustable length shoulder strap for carrying.

* The eyepiece is shipped in a protective hard plastic screw-top case. A separate zippered soft case (with snap-ring for attaching to a D-ring on the scope case) can hold the eyepiece, if desired. However, the scope case is shaped to fully cover the scope when its angled zoom eyepiece is attached, so you may find the separate eyepiece case to be redundant.

* A snap-in camera-type lens cover protects the objective lens.

* For photography, removing the soft rubber eyecup from the eyepiece exposes standard photographic T-threads. You can attach a 35mm camera body to the scope simply by threading an optional inexpensive T-ring onto the eyepiece and connecting your camera body to the T-ring. No separate camera adapter is needed. The scope becomes a fast 480mm f/6 telephoto lens with a camera attached.

* A limited lifetime warranty is standard.

Once again, than you for your input.

FYI: SPOTTING SCOPE PURCHASE UPDATE

RE:
I just placed an order through OpticsPlanet.com (I placed it before your post rep308 ...heh, heh, heh):

Celestron Ultima 80 Angled 45 Degree Spotting Scope Package 52250-OP - Ultima 80 Spotting Scope 52250 with Tripod 93606

I took said scope to the range today (Tuesday) ...and on a clear and dry (sunny) day, as it was, I had no problems seeing .223 holes (punched into regular paper) at 200 yards. And that was what I wanted from it, and it delivered.

I ran out to the max at the range, and was able to spot .308 holes at 340 yards.

And the quality of the tripod was very good (Celestron Photographic Tripod). It's fairly stiff, with a lot of adjustment and lock-down abilities. Which includes a center-post gear-driven elevator that can extend about 8 or 10 inches above the platform itself. Though, for image stability's sake, the lower you can keep the elevator, the better.

The scope is pleasantly "heavy", and armored ...as most are. The eye relief is good, and the edge distortion is minimal compared to many others that I've looked through.

The tripod collapses well, and has an integrated carry-handle, along with a fairly rugged nylon (the nylon is heavier than one might expect) protective bag. It's a tight weave and reasonably flexible. The bag is one-layer of nylon, and includes a carry-strap.

The scope has a similar bag with a carry-strap that includes some light cushioning material sandwiched between the nylon and cloth. The scope's bag can remain on the scope while using it.

All-in-all, it was a well-spent (assuming that this thing holds up) $159.

The problem with glass is you always get what you pay for. I got a lower end scope and I hardly use it because it is more of a pain to use than just getting up and walking to the target. As Pat said, it just magnifies the "crappiness".

The problem with glass is you always get what you pay for. I got a lower end scope and I hardly use it because it is more of a pain to use than just getting up and walking to the target. As Pat said, it just magnifies the "crappiness".

I'm not too sure why you posted the above, other than boredom. I certainly would not judge my purchase to be "crappy glass". Had I spent the same on some others, I would agree.

My stated goal was to see .223 holes in plain paper at 200 yards. I can observe exactly what I bought the thing to do ...and more actually. So it worked out to an excellent "bang-for-my-buck" purchase.

And as stated earlier in this thread. I have owned a $600+ (Bausch & Lomb) Bushnell spotting scope in-the-past. Perhaps the glass was better, but if so, I cannot tell the difference. Certainly the eye relief was no better than this Celestron. And if this sucker gets damaged, oh well, I'm won't be happy, but I won't be $600 sad either.

Selecting random scopes from Google searches without putting in research gets you what you deserve. I put in the time, and am pleased with the product.

My reason for posting was to help others make a decision if and when they are looking to buy. I have some personal concrete experience to offer to the conversation (thread).

I just picked up the MidwayUSA special Barska scope a few weeks ago. Its better than what I was expecting for the price. Eye relief is almost zero though. I haven't taken it to the range yet but its pretty clear during the day in my backyard. From 30 yards I can clearly read 1/4" text on paper. Its useless once dusk comes around though. I bought it as a range scope and didn't have the expectation that it would be useful for hunting at 5:30AM. I guess that's where the $700+ spent on a nice Leupold is used.

Back
Top Bottom