Looking for advice on a laser/scope combo

I'm not really well versed on optics. I know the basics. I am building a Ruger 10/22 ArchAngel for fun, but on a limited budget. I saw at a gun show, a scope with a laser sight on the side that could be used three different ways:

1. As a 2-10x40 scope.
2. Standalone laser sight
3. Activating the laser and looking through the scope, basically producing a red dot sight whereas you see the red dot of the laser through the lens.

I want to get something like this for my Ruger. Problem is, I only have about $80 max for the optic. I know I'm not going to get anything great, but it's a rifle mainly for fun/looks/plinking/short range target shooting.

Also, I guess I don't really understand how this whole thing works... are these always one unit? Would ANY laser appropriately zeroed with any scope produce the same effect when used together?

skip the mall ninja laser sight. mounted on the top or side it will only line up with the scope cross hairs at a certain distance, 50 yards, what ever it's sighted in for.

get the best 3-9x40 scope you can. check online, midwayusa or whatever

something like these will be fine

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/667093/bushnell-banner-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-long-eye-relief-multi-x-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/214873/bsa-sweet-22-rimfire-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-side-focus-duplex-reticle-matte

Get a decent scope and skip the laser for now. Yes, any laser and scope combination can be zeroed to a specific distance, and you will see the dot thru the scope. Are you sure you don't want a red dot scope? Lasers can be very tough to see in sunlight, especially at a distance. (at least to my old eyes)[laugh]

I have a red dot on my AK. For this, I was looking for something, I guess, More gimmicky, flashy - pimp if you will... But I'm wiling to reconsider and add something later like a laser on the side or something.

Here's a horribly noob question: Never having used an actual scope, what is the common practice when shooting very short range, IE 15-20 yards... remove the scope?

red dot an an AK ehh.... [hmmm]

a 3-9 scope means it's telescopic power is adjustable from 3 times thru 9 times power. back it off to 3 power and you can shoot closer

red dot an an AK ehh.... [hmmm]

a 3-9 scope means it's telescopic power is adjustable from 3 times thru 9 times power. back it off to 3 power and you can shoot closer

Ok, I wasn't sure if the 3x would still be too much for close range. Thanks!

And the AK... the RDS is on a lever removable mount, so it's fun to have on there, but easy to take off.

Back
Top Bottom