Looking for a tackdriver... 10-22/other with upgrades, or an old Mossy et al?

Looking for a rifle that's cheaper to shoot than my Mosin, and for possible competition.

Should I consider modern production with upgrades, or an older platform (with upgrades being more manual and less commercially available?)
Cost is always a concern, of course. I'd rather a nice performing platform that won't cost a ton upfront, or a ton to upgrade.

You want an accurate 22lr, without spending a small fortune?

Savage MK II

Several variations available, I have a FV-SR, but its in the upgraded stock that comes on the TR. With the proper ammo, it makes cloverleafs at 50 yards all day long

An accurate rifle will cost you some money to build on a 10/22 receiver but be worth it.

The biggest upgrades are a barrel, good optics and rings, and a decent stock. Trigger and other parts can always be done later.

Ammo plays a big role too believe it or not. Even in rimfire quality ammo makes a difference.

I can shoot a 10 shot ragged hole at 100 yards using a 10/22 I built with a Butler Creek heavy barrel, Choate Dragunov style stock, Mueller APV scope, Warne rings, and Wolf ammo.

Ruger American .22 bolt.

I'm so so with iron sights, and my first ten shots out of the rifle I had a half dollar- silver dollar size group at 50 yards. I was shocked by that .
It has a adjustable trigger like the savage , and uses the 10/22 mags.

Ammo plays a big role too believe it or not. Even in rimfire quality ammo makes a difference.

definitely very true, i think ammo is even more critical with .22 than with centerfire, at least for the 100yds and in shots

My old 513t surprises me at 50 yards with any match grade ammo like wolf or 10x or the old orlin cmp mat h stuff.
That said I see the kids on the jr rifle team with their anshultz rifles taking out that little center circle of the A23/5 bulls eyes regulary. The cmp has a larger selection of guns for sale in the 22 and air rifle area. Prices seem decent.
Might want to ask your self what type of competition.

My wife loves to shoot her M&P 15-22 at Steel Challenge and is quite good with a cheap holographic red-dot optic.

My wife loves to shoot her M&P 15-22 at Steel Challenge and is quite good with a cheap holographic red-dot optic.

That's my Steel Challenge setup exactly. More than accurate enough, if you use good ammo. (Semi-autos are always picky about what they like - try different brands and type)

After selling the factory stock and barrel on my 10/22, I think I probably have around $500 or so into my 10/22. Green Mountain 20" bull barrel, Kidd singe stage trigger (1.5# pull), Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9x40 scope, Boyd tacticool stock, bipod, Kidd bolt buffer, and Kidd cocking assembly. With CCI SV ammo its stupidly accurate, haven't tried Wolf match ammo yet. I can shoot shotgun shells at 100 yards all day long which is good enough for me.

I'd definitely recommend building up a 10/22, really easy and fun to do.

View attachment 86298

Last edited:
I had some time to kill this evening so I stopped by Dicks, just to test fit whatever they had on the shelf.
10/22 Breakdown (no, I would not consider a breakdown for my purposes) and a Remington 597 Heavy Barrel.
Both had a very short length of pull for my bod (I'm a big guy - 6'2" and just over 300lbs.)
Looking at the CZ, I like the look of the thumbhole stocks... What LGS have inventory?

I had some time to kill this evening so I stopped by Dicks, just to test fit whatever they had on the shelf.
10/22 Breakdown (no, I would not consider a breakdown for my purposes) and a Remington 597 Heavy Barrel.
Both had a very short length of pull for my bod (I'm a big guy - 6'2" and just over 300lbs.)
Looking at the CZ, I like the look of the thumbhole stocks... What LGS have inventory?
I thought you where looking for a tack driver?

Fitting length of pull only. Or are you referring to the recommendation by xp220 that I consider CZ?
I came across 2 nice 22s today at outback arms in plympton mass.
1. Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis 22lr I dont know a heck of alot about these rifles that said. Its a full size rifle i will almost say its a mini mauser bolt looks the same sights are triangles like the mauser. Iron sights are intact and look to be of a bit higher quality. It also has a scope mount I dont know how well it was done or who made it? it felt good in my hands and the stock is nice. asking price was 500$
2. CZ 452 with what seemed to be a 28" barrel for 425.00 ? I have only shot a 452 with synthetic stock and i was liked it...I think my friend paid under 400 for that one new in 2010 ?

I came across 2 nice 22s today at outback arms in plympton mass.
1. Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis 22lr I dont know a heck of alot about these rifles that said. Its a full size rifle i will almost say its a mini mauser bolt looks the same sights are triangles like the mauser. Iron sights are intact and look to be of a bit higher quality. It also has a scope mount I dont know how well it was done or who made it? it felt good in my hands and the stock is nice. asking price was 500$
2. CZ 452 with what seemed to be a 28" barrel for 425.00 ? I have only shot a 452 with synthetic stock and i was liked it...I think my friend paid under 400 for that one new in 2010 ?

The 28" CZ 452 is called Ultra Lux. It has iron sight and stock is design for iron sight shooting. There is also a version called "Lux" with 24" barrel and iron sight. The newer model of CZ 452 is now CZ 455, which has different action with exchangeable barrel (17 HMR, 22 WMR). For CZ 455 action, you could get a high quality Lilji barrel (http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/cz_455.htm). You could read more about CZ 452/455 on CZ-USA's web site, or Rim Fire Central (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18). RFC has a lot of valuable information.

I think I saw an CZ 455 Ultra Lux at Patriot Arms of New England a few weeks back (Ipswich) for around $425. (Or it may be CZ 452, could not remember)

You can get a Boyd CZ 455 Thumbhole Stock for about $100

Have you considered .17 HMR instead of .22?

Less drop when shooting to 100+ yards.

That said, I still think a Mosin might be less expensive to shoot.

The 28" CZ 452 is called Ultra Lux. It has iron sight and stock is design for iron sight shooting. There is also a version called "Lux" with 24" barrel and iron sight. The newer model of CZ 452 is now CZ 455, which has different action with exchangeable barrel (17 HMR, 22 WMR). For CZ 455 action, you could get a high quality Lilji barrel (http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/cz_455.htm). You could read more about CZ 452/455 on CZ-USA's web site, or Rim Fire Central (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18). RFC has a lot of valuable information.

I think I saw an CZ 455 Ultra Lux at Patriot Arms of New England a few weeks back (Ipswich) for around $425. (Or it may be CZ 452, could not remember)

You can get a Boyd CZ 455 Thumbhole Stock for about $100

I always forget about rimfirecentral.... even though I bought 2 guns and a few other items off there. The OP seems to be looking for a rifle that might "fit" better than the standard offerings hes seeing on local shelves.

The Cz 452 I seen is a full size gun and that 28" barrel is insane! I really liked that walther it felt nice in my hands. Cycled smoothly and a hefty feel. I don't know much about that rifle. I have seen some older anschultz rifles locally with the million and one ways to adjust butt stocks and some pretty nice peep sights. Right around 1400$ . They came from a college team no longer running a year or so ago. Want to say its a 1903 action?

Last edited:
I've been reading at Rimfire Central also.
I like the upgrade option of swapping barrels... for both .22/.17 conversion option as well as match chambering. [hmmm]
I'll have to head down to Outback tomorrow.

If you get out to Natick, B&K has a really nice 10/22 built on a Tactical Solutions Vantage thumbhole stock you can test fit.

In spirit of full disclosure...its mine on consignment (also posted here). I'd post link but I'm on phone. Built for steel challenge but supremely accurate! Only reason I'm selling it is I have another and I have to fund my son's archery habit.

Pm me for more pics.

I've also got a CZ 452 Lux in the safe. That one is the wife's and she'd kill me if I tried to sell it. That will be the last gun to go. Absolutely dead-nuts with iron sights. Stock is designed for iron sights. Tried a scope, but rise of stock is wrong.

What are you planning to do with it?

Aloha

I've been reading at Rimfire Central also.
I like the upgrade option of swapping barrels... for both .22/.17 conversion option as well as match chambering. [hmmm]
I'll have to head down to Outback tomorrow.

If you are in Maine, check out Kittery Trading Post. I saw various new CZ 455's on display and a used CZ 455 Lux for $300 - $350 about 1-2 months ago . Could call KTP ahead to check their inventory. For online shops of CZ rimfile, check out grabagun.com and WhittakerGuns.com.

Back
Top Bottom