• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a semi auto shotgun that feeds reduced recoil rounds

Billy2

Instructor
NES Member
All, I am looking to update my hd shotgun from a pump to a semi auto. I know some semis have trouble feeding reduced recoil rounds. My two favorite go to rounds are federal reduced oo buck and slug.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have no experience, but on paper, a Remington Versamax Tactical ought to fit the bill.

Edit - I note you're in MA. I don't begin to know the legalities of semi-auto shotguns as they relate to MA AWB law, reg, cmr, etc. Magazine size, stock/grip configuration (?), etc. may be in play when it comes to what's available at your local gun shop.

Last edited:
My Versa Max Tactical is seriously soft shooting. Will it cycle reduced recoil loads? I don't know the answer to that, but it has no problem with factory target loads. 8+1 capacity, so no pistol grip.

Benelli. I've shot everything with mine. Managed recoil, magnums, double odd and so on. In the summer heat and on the coldest winter days. My M1 super 90 has never once failed in any way.

The reduced slug and OO loads are not really "reduced" when it comes to cycling.
I have ran 7/8 of loads at a 1000fps and they cycle in my Browning told and 1100
Even the ultra light WinLite loads at 850ish fps will cycle at about 85%

The reduced slug and OO buck are basically just a slightly lower recoil.
Your average Remington slugster is around 1500-1600fps
The "reduced" loads run what 1200-1300fps.

The Remington 1100 Tactical I had would cycle everything reliably except for piss weak birdshot loads, if you used a dove load or above it cycled just fine, I used to keep it fed with Winchester Ranger low recoil slugs.

-Mike

Why does it have to be a semi? A pump will feed any shell shorter or equal to the chamber length, and be more reliable doing it.

Why does it have to be a semi? A pump will feed any shell shorter or equal to the chamber length, and be more reliable doing it.

Exactly. If you're worried about a particular load cycling, especially in a self defense type of scenario, PUMP. And if you don't want pump, just run full power loads. problem solved.

All I see are great replies! [thinking]

Better than most replies...
It's very subjective also just because one semi might cycle the lightest loads does not mean the one he gets will.
Also the thread was not flooded by
No semi for HD
I will add in a HD scenario you won't notice the normal recoil of "normal" loads....

I have no experience, but on paper, a Remington Versamax Tactical ought to fit the bill.

Edit - I note you're in MA. I don't begin to know the legalities of semi-auto shotguns as they relate to MA AWB law, reg, cmr, etc. Magazine size, stock/grip configuration (?), etc. may be in play when it comes to what's available at your local gun shop.

Not much problems with shotguns. You can have a high capacity semi-auto shotgun. I have a JM930 Pro which holds 10 rounds, purchased locally. You do need t have it in a locked case in the car when transporting. You can have pistol grip versions like the Mossberg SPX also.

Hit the used rack and grab an A-5 or knockoff (Remington 11, Savage 720). They feed everything from birdshot to slugs - may have to adjust the friction ring, but once set you're golden.

When using reduced stuff. I'd stay away from gas guns. Not that it won't work, but it requires a certain amount of gas to function. I would think inertia or recoil spring would do best once set up for those loads. Nothing would be 100 percent.

Any Benelli with the "inertia driven" system seems to work fine with light loads in my experience.

Stoeger makes a good inertia gun. The M3500 is a 3.5 inch gun and has a "recoil reducer" incorporated into it. This is basically just a weight screwed into the inside of the stock. When removed, light loads work fine. When installed, it's very effective at both reducing recoil and at cycling the heaviest 3.5 inch loads you can put in it. It's also pretty affordable. I purchased the no frills version (matte black w/ synthetic stock) about two years ago for about $550.00 from a certain big box retailer that most NESers hate - Dick's.

Back
Top Bottom