Looking for a recommendation for used gun

Hi folks-
was looking to get a recommendation on a used shotgun for shooting clay. It'd be my first shotgun purchase and would specifically be used for this purpose. Projected budget 500-600 maybe 700.
I'm specifically looking for a pump gun (I am aware that a pump automatically puts one at a disadvantage in terms of speed compared to a semi or o/u) but I definitely want a pump.
My first instinct was to simply get a mossberg and 28" barrel but I figured for the money, and perhaps a bit more, it might be worth it to go for a better, but used, shotgun instead.
Looking for your thoughts on brands and models to be on the lookout for.

Thanks

NOT AN EXPERT:

I checked out shotguns and ended up with a Benelli. The fit and finish was exactly what I was looking for. You'd probably do well and handling a few to see which brand feels good to you.

OP:

Since you don't know where you're going to end up, get an 870, if you must have a pump. For a new shooter, though I'd recommend an autoloader, FWIW.

Back to the 870: Assorted length/use barrels are available. Once you get used to it the second shot is quick (My son shot an 88/100 in Trap doubles, once)

Solid, reliable, time-tested platform.

That said, find someone that knows shotguns, and take them with you, to make sure that you have a gun that fits you reasonably well. Fit is more important that brand, or price, IMO. Ideally, if you belong to a Club, go to the Trap or Skeet range, and see who breaks most of the targets. See what they shoot. Most shooters will let you try out their toys. One that feels "right" will serve you better than one that does not.

Case in point: My kid's Trap gun fits him, not me. I can shoot it, but it's not comfortable. 870 fits right, 1100's comb is 1/8" too high. Minor detail, but important after a while. My A5 fits me, physically and mentally. That's the important factor.

Hi folks-
was looking to get a recommendation on a used shotgun for shooting clay. It'd be my first shotgun purchase and would specifically be used for this purpose. Projected budget 500-600 maybe 700.
I'm specifically looking for a pump gun (I am aware that a pump automatically puts one at a disadvantage in terms of speed compared to a semi or o/u) but I definitely want a pump.
My first instinct was to simply get a mossberg and 28" barrel but I figured for the money, and perhaps a bit more, it might be worth it to go for a better, but used, shotgun instead.
Looking for your thoughts on brands and models to be on the lookout for.

Thanks
Since you are not specific on the clay games you are going to shoot and want a pump there is really only one shotgun in my mind that fits that bill Remington 870 field 28" raised rib barrel with a remchokes. Slap a Modified choke in their and go have fun. I shot a 870 express field for 3 years while I figured out what I like to shoot and saved up during that time for a dedicated shotgun to fit the sport.
You will find the game you like to play the most after a while ( for me that's trap) you then can either buy stocks and barrels for the 870 to fit the game you play most or keep it and have a 870 field gun for general purposes.

The one key "fit" you need to address with any shotgun is PITCH. Pitch will show its face when you feel like the shotgun is slapping you in the cheek or you are getting bruised or sore cheek were you rest your cheek on the stock (comb)
the US Army Marksmenship Unit has a video of how to adjust pitch, the link I have is dead but im sure if you look you can find it.

Most important thing, IMO, is try before you buy, if at all possible.

Yep, I have met a few guys who bought something before ever shooting a round and regretted their choice after either finding their choice didn't fit them or that they like the sport and would prefer something else. Nothing wrong with a pump but no reason to not swing by your club and see what others are using. Many are very happy to let you try their gun and would prefer you get a feel for what suits you as it stinks when someone is "making due" with a gun that isn't right for them.

I realize your desire for a pump shotgun, but as others have mentioned, you'll be at a serious disadvantage, especially if you plan on shooting Sporting Clays or 5 Stand.

Kittery Trading Post has a used Beretta A303 for $450 with chokes. This is a classic Clays gun, the predecessor of Beretta's current semi Auto lineup.

Lots of used guns to look at and handle at Kittery, its worth the drive.

Good luck with your search.

I realize your desire for a pump shotgun, but as others have mentioned, you'll be at a serious disadvantage, especially if you plan on shooting Sporting Clays or 5 Stand.

Kittery Trading Post has a used Beretta A303 for $450 with chokes. This is a classic Clays gun, the predecessor of Beretta's current semi Auto lineup.

Lots of used guns to look at and handle at Kittery, its worth the drive.

Good luck with your search.

I'll second the prices and selection at Kittery on used shotguns. Ammo prices though.....way high.......but used guns are plentiful and decently priced in Kittery. They usually have some decent remy 1100s for sale in the 450-600 dollar range......good choice for most people......reliable gun but not for me as I find them "nose heavy".

And to answer the question before it comes up......as long as you have your mass license you can buy the gun and take it home with you.......as you are legal to possess the gun in the state of purchase and the state of residence. Just remember to do your EFA 10 within 7 days [rolleyes]

Thanks again.
Kittery was actually the place I was going to head to in order to check out what's out there. Also looking at gunbroker but I'd definitely prefer to hold one before buying.
Appreciate everyone's feedback. You guys are most helpful.

Kittery actually has an FFL in New Hampshire, on the RTE 1 bypass, 10 minutes from the Trading Post. If you are a New Hampshire resident, they will transfer it in NH and you'll avoid the Maine tax.

Just let them know so they can make the necessary arrangements.

Good Luck

Kittery actually has an FFL in New Hampshire, on the RTE 1 bypass, 10 minutes from the Trading Post. If you are a New Hampshire resident, they will transfer it in NH and you'll avoid the Maine tax.

Just let them know so they can make the necessary arrangements.

Good Luck

Thanks. Taxachusetts resident though unfortunately.

Thanks. Taxachusetts resident though unfortunately.

Same goes for mass residents....just make sure to say you want to pick it up in NH. Some clerks will mention it some will not. If saving what 7% or so is not a big deal just buy it there and walk out.

I have a pretty nice Browning Trap Combo and usually shoot it. We took a bunch of guys trap shooting and everyone turned up their noses at my old beat up Mossburg 500 I brought for a loaner. One of they guys wouldn't shoot it the second time he came again , shot about a 8 with an 870 though. I thought he would show up this past week si I only brought the 500, shot 24, 25, and 21 (my ammo pouch fell around my ankle after the first shot and I never recovered), too bad he wasn't there to see it, the 25 not the ammo pouch.

If your just shooting trap (no doubles), almost any pump with a 28" barrel and screw in chokes will do. You can shoot doubles but have to be quick and my reaction time is slowing so the o/u is for me.

I've seen guys absolutely kick the crap out of guys with shotguns costing 20 plus times what theirs cost. Gets kind of quiet on the walk back to the rack... Trap is just one of those games where you need the best equipment, it has to fit and you have to know where it hits.

I have a pretty nice Browning Trap Combo and usually shoot it. We took a bunch of guys trap shooting and everyone turned up their noses at my old beat up Mossburg 500 I brought for a loaner. One of they guys wouldn't shoot it the second time he came again , shot about a 8 with an 870 though. I thought he would show up this past week si I only brought the 500, shot 24, 25, and 21 (my ammo pouch fell around my ankle after the first shot and I never recovered), too bad he wasn't there to see it, the 25 not the ammo pouch.

If your just shooting trap (no doubles), almost any pump with a 28" barrel and screw in chokes will do. You can shoot doubles but have to be quick and my reaction time is slowing so the o/u is for me.

I've seen guys absolutely kick the crap out of guys with shotguns costing 20 plus times what theirs cost. Gets kind of quiet on the walk back to the rack... Trap is just one of those games where you need the best equipment, it has to fit and you have to know where it hits.
just to note I have seen pissed off guys toss their 15k trap guns into their trunks mumbling POS.
mean while theres guys out there with 870s covered in moleskin and other DIY custom fit mods running 100s...its a game of knowing your angles and delivering the pellets to where they need to be when the bird gets there.

Got a great price on an 870 Wingmaster at Kittery. Picking it up next week. Thank you all again for your help and advice!!

I've been competitively shooting trap for about 4 years now. Started off with my dad's Remington 1100 (Great entry gun for the sport). Since then I moved on to a Browning Citori combo I got at LL Bean, and now I'm using a Browning Cynergy Trap Classic Combo.

I've shot 50 straight with the 1100, I've shot 100 straight with the Cynergy. Important thing to remember is that "The Hammer does not make the Carpenter". Why did I switch then? Simple, I shoot ALLOT. Trap guns are designed to be heavy and able to take rounds upon rounds thru them. The over under models have less moving parts, thus less to break. Typically in a year between practice and shoots, I pull the trigger 7-10k times.

My Cynergy new was close to 5k, does it shoot any better than that old 1100........if I'm on the bird the results are the same. If you do decide to go with a semi or a pump, spend some extra $$$$ and get a longer barrel than 28" I'm shooting a 34" for my single and a 32" for my doubles. I found a 32" barrel for my 1100 with a remchoke in it.

If you're close to Sturbridge, I shoot up at Hamilton on Sunday mornings typically starting at 9:30.....I'll bring the old reliable girl with me if you want to make dust out of clay :)

Lots of great advice from everyone. If you get a chance, shoot all of the major disciplines ( Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, 5 Stand ), you'll find all of them challenging and enjoyable.

Its always interesting shooting Sporting Clays or 5 Stand with trap and skeet shooters. The comments and looks on their faces is comical, sometimes.

You're going to meet some great people, ask questions, and enjoy the clay sports. There's nothing better than hitting a moving target.

Back
Top Bottom