Looking For A Range To Call Home

Hey everyone , Im looking for a range to call home ! Got into the hobby of firearms in about the last 18 months and have mostly done all of firing inside at places like MFS & AFS ! Recently took a trip up to Harvard Sportsman Club and fell in love with the outside individual pistol pits , which allowed me the comfortability to work on the craft without having to worry about the person in the bay next to me ! Im currently in the South Shore and was wondering if anyone knew of a spacious place close by that would allow me the same outdoor luxury without having to drive so far north

???

Old Colony?

The general rule is to balance your competitive interests with the distance you're willing to travel.

...which allowed me the comfortability to work on the craft without having to worry about the person in the bay next to me ! Im currently in the South Shore and was wondering if anyone knew of a spacious place close by that would allow me the same outdoor luxury without having to drive so far north

???
I agree with C. Stockwell. It sounds like Old Colony might provide the features you seek. They have a nice range, including 200 yards with a shooting house the heat for Sunday morning competitions. One thing, their indoor range has been closed for a long time - not sure if it is open yet.
I was a member there for years. However, I elected not to renew this year due to the overwhelming fudness. Inevitably, a self-proclaimed range officer would lecture on whether features on my rifle are legal. One time I was challenged on the 'loudness' of my rounds. I was getting ready for a moose hunt with a 300 Win. Mag. It got to be that I couldn't use the facility without having to address some inquiry.
YMMV

I agree with C. Stockwell. It sounds like Old Colony might provide the features you seek. They have a nice range, including 200 yards with a shooting house the heat for Sunday morning competitions. One thing, their indoor range has been closed for a long time - not sure if it is open yet.
I was a member there for years. However, I elected not to renew this year due to the overwhelming fudness. Inevitably, a self-proclaimed range officer would lecture on whether features on my rifle are legal. One time I was challenged on the 'loudness' of my rounds. I was getting ready for a moose hunt with a 300 Win. Mag. It got to be that I couldn't use the facility without having to address some inquiry.
YMMV

thank you , i appreciate it ! I might try and go by and do a tour when my work schedule allows me ! As long as they have the individual pistol pits then I should be good to go !

YMMV
Indoor range is coming along if not open by now.
I dont know if IDPA pits are open all the time or not.
Theres a pistol only range , Im going to gander theres no draw and shoot or rapid fire.

As far as FUDD , its hard to find a club that does not have FUDD.
My advice is any club have a rule book handy and get the range police to site any violations or show me in the rule book.
Hanson has a indoor range and pistol pits that you may or may not be able to use?
i will be shocked if they allow draw and shoot.
Im a member at both for different reasons.
Easton and canton might be a bit to far west?

Then there is Holbrook , i have not been there in several years so I dont know what changed. I shot trap and some 22lr shoots.

Pelham fish and game has great action bays outside I have been a member for 6 years but that would be a long ride from the south shore

Holbrook is fantastic. Not quite as open and with the options of Harvard, but I don’t think any south shore clubs are. I live in Quincy and swear by Holbrook. If you want a tour send me a message.

Pelham fish and game has great action bays outside I have been a member for 6 years but that would be a long ride from the south shore
Long ride? Ya, what an understatement.
Is the membership even open? Last I heard from a family member was closed with a long wait list.

Old Colony?

The general rule is to balance your competitive interests with the distance you're willing to travel.
I have been a member there for over 10 years. The pistol shooting team is great, good guys.

There are a few awesome old timers that love shooting Sharps and muskets.

As far as FUDD , its hard to find a club that does not have FUDD.

It gets much easier outside of the 95 loop. Most of the loop clubs are f***ing terrible about that shit, the only one I think I could tolerate is Hopkinton, at least when you go down
their rules they mostly make sense and have exceptions and exemptions where they should, etc. Plus a lot of the folks that run that club are pretty decent people, IMHO.

-Mike

It gets much easier outside of the 95 loop. Most of the loop clubs are f***ing terrible about that shit, the only one I think I could tolerate is Hopkinton, at least when you go down
their rules they mostly make sense and have exceptions and exemptions where they should, etc. Plus a lot of the folks that run that club are pretty decent people, IMHO.

-Mike
Yeah theres always rules that dont seem to make sense.
The no holster draw and rapid fire
For clubs I belong to is all safety, just to many incidents and incidents are what get clubs closed.

True enough, but there also seems to be an awful lot of "Well....this could happen" Yup, it could. Sun could not come up tomorrow as well.
People do shoot themselves when working from holster. Rounds do leave ranges. Some clubs are overly cautious because some shooters are overly stupid.

Yep holster work and rapid fire Okay. Class III when you clear the BOD. Should have an indoor range open in 2020. Adjacent the Public Works/PD and across the street is the PD tactical range so neighbors don't seem to be a problem.

Yep holster work and rapid fire Okay. Class III when you clear the BOD. Should have an indoor range open in 2020. Adjacent the Public Works/PD and across the street is the PD tactical range so neighbors don't seem to be a problem.

just looked up the facility it looks brand new ! wow

True enough, but there also seems to be an awful lot of "Well....this could happen" Yup, it could. Sun could not come up tomorrow as well.
Or you get shut down like scituate and become a shotgun only club and go super fudd. Its all good.
I actually like the "old days" gated property , pile of dirt and tires nothing else. You bring it in it leaves with you.
Now clubs have to lock dumpsters cause members think thier construction debris and old plastic toys disposal is part of membership.
Fun stuff, soon as kids are a bit older i hope to get more involved.

Last edited:
im in Avon right off of Rt. 24 , I know exactly where Mansfield is I believe right on Rt 106 ??
South shore=Avon ......reminds me of my dads friends who called whitman "down the cape" or Irish Riviera for the towns that touched the ocean....
Points west are more likely better options.

im in Avon right off of Rt. 24 , I know exactly where Mansfield is I believe right on Rt 106 ??

Yup, Rt 106, behind the new public safety complex. Should be a ~20 min ride for you, traffic depending, I would guess.

50/100yd outdoor ranges, + archery, canoe/kayak landing, picnic area. 50ft. indoor range under construction.

Jan 2 is the next Board/Member meeting if you want to come down. Bring $5 for dinner. If you want to come down before then hit me up and we'll see if we can make a time, but if you want to join up, that's the night to be there.

Back
Top Bottom