• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a powder recommendation for .45 ACP

I have a short barrel .45 that doesn't cycle reliably with light loads. With most decent factory ammo the pistol is 100% reliable, but i cooked up some reloads with 4.8g of Titegroup (max charge) under a 230gr ball, and i'm seeing occasional FTEs, casings ejecting in my face instead of sideways, etc. The slide is not cycling fast enough with this load, which is only rated a little over 800fps. I haven't bothered to chrono it, as it's unreliable and therefore how fast it's moving is irrelevant.

I have a few ideas for powder...possibly Bullseye.

Thoughts?

My father used to use Bullseye for his 1911 race gun. I worked with a friend (who has/had a reloading business in FL) to come up with a winning recipe for my 1911 (wide-body). We ended up selecting Winchester 231 powder for that round due to not needing to use much to get the desired velocity range and reliable cycling of the pistol.

Personally, I would make up several sets of rounds with a powder starting at the low end of the powder charge scale then increasing by about .2 grains until you hit the top end of the scale. Do 10 rounds per charge level so you can get a decent test group. Once you get a the pistol to cycle properly, focus on round accuracy. There are some resource out there that will help you narrow things down a bit, but experience counts for a good amount.

Perhaps your extractor needs a bit more tension.
Otherwise, HP38 and 231 are the same powder, Clays if you can find it (doubtful) ClayDot, Red Dot, IMR 700X will all work.

Perhaps your extractor needs a bit more tension.
Otherwise, HP38 and 231 are the same powder, Clays if you can find it (doubtful) ClayDot, Red Dot, IMR 700X will all work.

+1 on the extractor. My favorite powder is 231.

Test the extractor. If the slide locks back on the last round, you probably have enough energy to properly cycle the gun.

Last edited:
I run W231 exclusively in .45. 230g Berry,5.3G 231,1.21 OAL. Cycles in all of my .45's flawlessly.

Problem is finding 231 can be tough.I haven't seen it anywhere in over a year....Starting to panic...Down to my last 12lbs!

Problem is finding 231 can be tough.I haven't seen it anywhere in over a year....Starting to panic...Down to my last 12lbs!

D&L in Warwick had a cornucopia of Win231 & HP38 recently. Picked up some after Christmas.

I haven't been *back* to reloading very long, but it feels to me like the tide is starting to turn for component availability...

D&L in Warwick had a cornucopia of Win231 & HP38 recently. Picked up some after Christmas.

I haven't been *back* to reloading very long, but it feels to me like the tide is starting to turn for component availability...

Also Glenn's in Reading, MA just got in some HP-38 yesterday.

OP is in RI so D&L would be MUCH closer.

Bullseye, Unique, and W-231 are all great for .45 ACP. Alliant Blue Dot will also work. Check with Bulls-eye shooting supplies in Woonsocket, he usually has a pretty good stock of powders.

Thank you all for your recommendations.

I'll see if i can hunt down some 231 at D&L...if not i'll give Unique or Bullseye a try.

As for the extractor/recoil spring, the gun runs perfectly with most factory ammo, but FTEs with limp wristed shooters. Personally i don't have any issues even with 1 handed and/or rapid shooting, but it seems like half the people who have shot it have somehow found a way to induce FTEs. Given that it is 100% reliable in my hands with the vast majority of ammo i've run through it, i'd rather not start changing parts if i can adjust the load. I shot 600rds of winchester white box without 1 malfunction, put my reloads in (230gr FMJ, 4.8gr titegroup, Win brass, 1.23" with factory crimp) and got an 8-10% FTE rate.

I like Titegroup for 9mm, but behind a 230gr ball i think the rapid burn rate means the charge has to stay very light to prevent a pressure spike, and it just doesn't seem to generate enough energy for this application.

The only bullets i had were 185gr Speer FMJs. I loaded 100rds with 5.7gr of HP-38 (5.9 listed as max).

The felt recoil was extremely light, but somehow the gun ran 100%. I did have a few casings eject straight upward, but nothing like the issues i was having with Titegroup.

I think HP-38 loaded near max with 200-230gr loads will function about the same as the factory loads i've typically used with this pistol.

Back
Top Bottom