Looking for a nice knife

For your price point, you can get one of each. I love the Yojimbo 2 so I had to get the Ronin 2 when it came out...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see how you can go wrong with a nice benchmade. They even offer lasermark options to add an extra touch if you so please.

Agree. I'll tell anyone who will listen how much I love my 940. It does it all beautifully, and is nice enough to give as a decent gift. Just under 2 bills.

you could try massdrop.com they are basically a group buy site. i see a lot of good and custom artesian style knifes on there.

Switchblades and automatic knives are not illegal to own in MA and, believe it or not, can be legally carried concealed if you have a Class A LTC. If you don't have a Class A then you can still own one but don't get caught with one on you or in your vehicle.

finally! a definitive answer on carrying concealed automatic knives. phew, glad i checked in. [rolleyes]

cite please. thanks

Last edited:
finally! a definitive answer on carrying concealed automatic knives. phew, glad i checked in. [rolleyes]

cite please. thanks

If you read my last post, before commenting and rolling your emoticon eyes, you would have seen I linked to a breakdown that cites the MGL pertaining to each part.

Here's a link to the breakdown of the knife laws in MA. Lots of restrictions that are all lifted if you have a Class A. http://www.knifeup.com/massachusetts-knife-law/

Chapter 140 Section 131 says nothing about knives.

Chapter 269 Section 10
(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

I was always under the impression that simply owning the items above was a no-no. It states in the MGL that carrying them is a no-no. So if u own them your good, walk out of ur house with it and you could get jammed up.

Last edited:
Interesting...I've always understood that part wrong then. But, on the bright side, they are still legal to own in MA as long as you don't get caught with one outside your home [emoji12]

Chapter 140 Section 131 says nothing about knives.

Chapter 269 Section 10

I was always under the impression that simply owning the items above was a no-no. It states in the MGL that carrying them is a no-no. So if u own them your good, walk out of ur house with it and you could get jammed up.

All that says is that transporting the listed items must be done with the items not in your control, IE in the trunk of your car or locked up. That MGL doesn't cover what you do on your own property either - for example you can carry a pistol on your property even if your LTC has restrictions/you bought a pistol on an FID/pistol permit.

I'll third a Chris Reeves Knife. Beautiful functional art. That or a nice spyderco. Different playing field though.

Personally, I'm looking at a grayman Dua now.

Folder? Just get him a Benchmade. I got one for all my groomsmen and they were all very impressed.

Chris Reeves are customs or semi-custom and in the $400+ range. If you want to start going down the custom path....$$$$. FYI, I sold Lg and small Sebenza's. Beautiful, but just never liked how they worked. Plenty of great productions knives with high quality steel out there these days.

All that says is that transporting the listed items must be done with the items not in your control, IE in the trunk of your car or locked up. That MGL doesn't cover what you do on your own property either - for example you can carry a pistol on your property even if your LTC has restrictions/you bought a pistol on an FID/pistol permit.

Ya, no mention of private or public property. I'll have to look that up.
Simply walking down the street with it would be a violation because you are "carrying" it.
What exactly is under your control in a vehicle? If your driving and it's wedged between the back seat cushions, will they argue it's under your control? Is the trunk under your control? Not direct control but some asshat may try to argue.

Ya, no mention of private or public property. I'll have to look that up.
Simply walking down the street with it would be a violation because you are "carrying" it.
What exactly is under your control in a vehicle? If your driving and it's wedged between the back seat cushions, will they argue it's under your control? Is the trunk under your control? Not direct control but some asshat may try to argue.

In a locked container should satisfy the direct control question. It's good enough for handguns.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but, autos are still illegal. [rolleyes]

only to carry, not to possess.

Dang... More combat knives, but just realized my pair of Buckmasters are going for around $400 and original Tac II almost $200.

Back
Top Bottom