• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a nice knife

No, I am not looking for a blade to address my big gulp issue from another thread.

I am trying to find a very nice knife in the $200 to $300 range to reward someone who has worked on a project and would appreciate such an item.

Suggestions welcome.

No, I am not looking for a blade to address my big gulp issue from another thread.

I am trying to find a very nice knife in the $200 to $300 range to reward someone who has worked on a project and would appreciate such an item.

Suggestions welcome.

What kind of knife are you looking for? Folding, fixed? Tactical? Dressy? Will this be something they use, or something they put away?

Nice knives, but why not buy from an American company.

You mean the distributor or the maker of the knives?

The distributor had the best deal I could find for Grohmanns. American websites charged a lot more for the same exact knife. I'm talking $50 + shipping versus $80 to $100 + shipping.

As for the knife, yeah it's Canadian too. I noticed Grohmann when I was looking for a moderately priced hunting knife. Grohmann knives came up as very well reviewed and high quality at a decent price. A Wal Mart or Dick's "American" hunting knife would be made in China or somewhere.

Grohmann does make folding knives, but I wouldn't classify them as "tactical." So it's kind of moot for Rob's needs.

Folding. Should be tacticool but not in a Walter Mitty sort of way.

What about a really nice Italian stiletto switchblade?
ETA: (yes like the one in my avatar. That is a genuine Frank Beltrame 11" with black horn scales. That knife was around $250 back in '04)

Last edited:
Folding. Should be tacticool but not in a Walter Mitty sort of way.

If your friend doesn't mind doing some sharpening every once in a while, a Sebenza is always nice. They're built like Swiss watches, but are a bit outside your upper range, generally. Spyderco Sage 2 has titanium handles, is fairly innocuous and is well made. Benchmade ti monolocks are beautiful and well made. Hope these choices help a little bit. The Spyderco and the monolocks are both available with free shipping from Amazon.

You mean the distributor or the maker of the knives?

The distributor had the best deal I could find for Grohmanns. American websites charged a lot more for the same exact knife. I'm talking $50 + shipping versus $80 to $100 + shipping.

As for the knife, yeah it's Canadian too. I noticed Grohmann when I was looking for a moderately priced hunting knife. Grohmann knives came up as very well reviewed and high quality at a decent price. A Wal Mart or Dick's "American" hunting knife would be made in China or somewhere.

Grohmann does make folding knives, but I wouldn't classify them as "tactical." So it's kind of moot for Rob's needs.

I'm not knocking the knives at all.. they look very nice. For the OP's price range a made in USA Benchmade or Microtech would make a nice gift.

Don't see how you can go wrong with a nice benchmade. They even offer lasermark options to add an extra touch if you so please.

My pretty much daily carry is this one:

https://www.threeriversmfg.com/index.php/knives/tr-ltc200-nomad/

TR-LTC200-Free-Shipping.jpg

In your price range. Made right here in Massachusetts. Superior materials. AND... It's Covert.

Not a lock blade, but the finger choil is large so that it won't collapse on you and the slip joint is strong enough that no NYC cop is going to "gravity knife" you. Small when folded, but has a large enough blade to be very useful. Blade is CPM154, frame and clip are Titanium. All kinds of scales, but the carbon fiber (real carbon fiber) is very nice. Takes a bit to put an edge on, but you can shave with it and it holds for quite some time.

I have all kinds of blades, but this one ends up in my pocket more times than not - just really handy and useful.

Ox Forge BLK-S is one of the most solid knives I've ever held. The automatics are harder to come by (probably impossible in MA), but they do sell other models. My wife's uncle is friends with Charlie Ochs, who owns the company and, when her dad passed away, I inherited the one that was given to him by Charlie when he last visited him.

http://www.oxforge.com/automati.htm

Careful, don't want to admit to any felonious behavior and get a 3am no knock

Switchblades and automatic knives are not illegal to own in MA and, believe it or not, can be legally carried concealed if you have a Class A LTC. If you don't have a Class A then you can still own one but don't get caught with one on you or in your vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom