looking for a new shotgun, rifle and pistol

What firearms do you recommend that meet these specifications - looking for makes and models...

1) Shotgun - 12 guage pump action
2) 357 Revolver
3) Deer Rifle - bolt action - primarily for long range targets

Shotgun, a Winchester Ranger or Remington 870 (cheaper model). Or buy a used Winchester 1200/1300 or Remington 870.

The revolver, S&W, all the way.

The rifle, I'd suggest a Winchester Model 70 or Remington 700. IF weight is an issue, try to find a Remington 7 or Remington 600, they're both light and short. If you want to really get out there, a Remington 700 PSS.

1) For what purpose? Hunting, sporting and defensive use are different, and you'll want a certain choke for certain game, and possibly a rifled barrel for deer. Some features are nice for trap/skeet while annoying in the field.

2) Again, what for? I'd go Smith & Wesson no matter what because I think they have the best triggers out of the box, but if you want defensive, I'd lean to an Airweight, but otherwise a larger frame version would be better for control/comfort reasons.

3) First, I wonder where you are going to hunt deer at long ranges in the Northeast. Frankly, one of the best rifles up here is a good 'ol lever action in 30-30 - small, light, and very effective. However, you said bolt and long range, so I'd look to something in a .308 caliber which should be quite useful out to about 600 yards (further if you are a very good shooter, but hitting a deer in the vitals at that range (6-8" circle) is quite a challenge) As for makes and models, we could spend all day on that. All the major brands make really good selections. I'd recommend a trip to a store and try them and see which fits you best.

For your .357, the S&W 686 is a popular gun. I have a 686P with a 6" barrel which I really like - it's a great gun.

Ross

In Northern New England and Upstate New York (above I 90), there is some really long range shooting, especially in my area. I keep a seperate long range gun, similar to what I recommended, occasionally my RomAK 3. My woods gun is an AK, M14, FAL, RomAK 3 or a light bolt action or lever action.

Nickle said:
derek said:
Bolt action Deer rifle.

Model 700 Remington in .308 [wink]

Yup, undoubtedly, the absolutely, positively best all around deer rifle ever made. Especially in 308.

And for the money, the best accuracy bargin IMO in the world.

Not just deer. If for some bizzare reason I could only have one rifle, it would be a Remmington 700 in .308. It may not be absolutely the best for every purpose you might immagine, but it will do the job well, whatever that might be.

Ken

Hubby's got a Ruger .357 Security Six. It's a sweet gun. Never had problem one with it and it's accurate as hell....course, that also depends on the shooter. :D

wow! Thanks for the great info on the firearms I am looking for. Sounds like the Remington in 308 is a big winner - I'll try some out. I have also heard, in terms of handguns, that SW is the best route. I was thinking about the 520 - anyone every used it? Question on that - can you shoot 38's out of any 357?

In terms of the shotgun - I have also heard great things about the Remington 870 - but also mossberg. I suppose I'll try both out. Anyone ever use the Benelli M1? More specifically, can anyone make a call on the advantages or disadvantages of pump action over semi automatic?

Thanks for the help all-

If you're going to get a shotgun get a Benelli or a Beretta, they both are works of art. I've owned both in semi auto and never had a malfunction.

I prefer semiatuo just because I don't like to rack the next shell if I miss the bird on the first shot, you know it's rare. Ya right.. [lol]

tfourunner said:
Question on that - can you shoot 38's out of any 357?
Yes. .38 is exactly the same dimensions except that it is 1/10 of an inch shorter than .357.

tfourunner said:
In terms of the shotgun - I have also heard great things about the Remington 870 - but also mossberg.

I have a Mossberg 500. It was inexpensive and easy to find a smoothbore and a rifled barrel. My friend commented that it rattles too much when it's being carried in the woods. But for the limited use I give it, it seems to suit me fine.

Ross

Just as a suggestion tfour... You can shoot .38's out of any .357 (as Ross alsready stated), however, I wouldn't just shoot .38's out of it. The cartridge is a bit shorter than the .357 and over time, it will start to wear on the end of the chambers in the cylinder. Shoot some .357's too every so often.

I ask about shooting .38 out of a .357 b/c I read on the net that you should shoot about an equal amount of both and not just 1 type - so you are right on about not just shooting .38's. I also read that .357 ammo is more expensive so you can save some money by shooting .38 out of some of the time and still get some target practice in without breaking the bank. The thing that confused me was on the Smith and Wesson web site...many of the .357's specifically say .357/.38 and some do not. Seemed wierd to me.

Does the fact that the SW I am looking at is a 357 Mangum?

Do you feel comfortable buying used guns or do you preffer new? In my region the .308 Win. is not overly popular although a fine cartridge. To add one other rifle to the mix the Savage bolt actions have established a reputation for very nice long range accuracy. They are less expensive than the Remington 700's. Quite a bit uglier too. Ditto on the handgun recommendations. The Remington 870 is the single most common shotgun where I live and have a fine reputation for durability. Good luck and enjoy the shopping experience.

I have to agree with the Remington 700 in 308, good solid rifle, great long range accuracy, make sure to have good glass though.

Harder to suggest for a pistol without knowing what you want it for. Right now though I am looking at the Springfield Arms XD, lighter, durable, more accurate with the 5in barrell, comes in the usual calibe.

Remington also make great shotguns but depends on what you are looking to do with it.

Just my opinion, good luck!!

I have a Benelli M1 Super90. I traded up from a Beretta 1201FP, which
is pretty much the same action in a different wrapper. The guns we're
talking about here are night and day, though.

I love pumps, and have an Ithaca Model 37 of my own,
but they are very different from the benelli. The Benelli
just *looks* all buisiness. With its 21" barrel and 7 round
capacity it's a serious defense gun. It will spit out shells
at an incredible rate. And it will beat the living sh*t out of
you as you do it! I love it, but versatile it is not.

If you are considering shotgun sports (sporting clays, skeet)
or hunting, most any pump will let you buy all of the barrels
you want (defense, choked, and rifled slug)for a total
package price of about $500. Just the barrel for a Benelli
will set you back $300! Don't discount how important the
availability of barrels is, because it will save you a lot of $$$
if you find a new use for your shotgun and don't have to buy
a new one.

As to which shotgun to buy, all of the big names (Remington,
Mossberg, Browning, Benelli, Beretta, and Winchester
(FN shotgun)) make good quality stuff. They are all a little
different in dimension and fit, so you really need to peruse
the shops and see what feels good to you. My Ithaca feels
good to me, but my buddy's Remington 870 whacks me in
the cheekbone. When you pick up the shotgun that makes you
think "This feels GREAT!", that's the one you should buy.

F

tfourunner said:
In terms of the shotgun - I have also heard great things about the Remington 870 - but also mossberg. I suppose I'll try both out. Anyone ever use the Benelli M1? More specifically, can anyone make a call on the advantages or disadvantages of pump action over semi automatic?

Thanks for the help all-
Pump actions are cheaper, simpler, substantially less expensive, more available.

Advantage of a semi automatic shotgun is that many people, under duress, forget to cycle the action of a pump gun. So train as appropriate.

The Remington 870 is rugged and is available in many configurations from youth 20 gage to LE/Military to all kinds of hunting and range shooting. And almost any conceivable accessory comes out first for the 870. Barrels can be interchanged easily.

The Mossberg 500/590 is also popular, especially for those more interested in an inexpensive but reliable setup for home.

Again the Rem 700 is quite the gun.

If you want bigger, a friend of mine really turned me on to the Weatherby Mk. V. He had one in .270 Weatherby Mag, .300 Wetherby Mag, .378 Wetherby Mag and .460 Wetherby mag.

I kinda got a massochistic streak for blowing up TVs with that .460. It definetly hurt the TVs more than me 8)

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Over the years since I first posted this I have picked up a lot of firearms...seems to be my hobby of choice. I did end up getting a Rem 700, a Rem 870 and a SW 686. They are all fantastic firearms and no matter how many I collect I do always end up back at the range with these 3. Thanks for all the advice.

Good to read these old threads again. I have a Rem 700, but in 30-06. Bought it years ago. I feel the same way about it as most others have stated. I think the biggest reason is that I have so much confidence in it. It has never let me down. Latest was this past September. I took a cow Elk at 302 yards. She was dead before she hit the ground. You would be hard pressed to find a better gun.

Back
Top Bottom