Looking for a new club

I'm presently a member of the Woburn Sportsman's Accociation, and I'm getting tired of the restrictions, overbearing range officers, and general BS going on there. I live right inside 128 near route 2, so the location was what drew me there.

I've belonged to clubs an hour drive away before, and it's discouraging to get to the range and find you've left something important at home (like extra ammo) so I'm not thrilled at the thought of joining a club a long drive away.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good shooting club? I like to shoot at 200 yards and at 7 yards, so a fixed 25 yard range or a rifle range that requires a range officer won't work for me.

I also shoot black powder, and I'm thinking about cowboy action and possibly even some action pistol, in addition to archery.

Any suggestiond would be appreciated. [grin]

It seems like the Harvard gun club would be about 30 mins from you. I visited there this summer and it seemed like a superb place.

Westford has everything on your list except for the 200yd range (only 100yds). Either Jim Conway or I are around as often as possible, so let us know if you'd like a tour.

Ken

I joined Mass Rifle in Woburn (and I live a stone's throw from woburn sportsman which is actually in Bedford). Check out http://www.massrifle.com. Go to the funshoot on October 21st. They have a 35ft pistol range, a 50yd range, a 100/200 yd range and a 75foot
indoor range that has 24/7 access. Easy to get to off the Washington st exit from 128. They also have a 50ft indoor range for airguns and 22cal. standard velocity. I've met a bunch of nice people there and they seem to have something for eveyone. You can even get a nice $4.00 breakfast there on Sundays and I think they have dinner on Wednesdays. Oh, also they shoot sporting clays on Sunday and trap on Wed. evening.

Mass Rifle and Harvard are two excellent choices, I belong to both. Harvard has the advantage of more land and ranges (300 yard rifle and the Action Shooting pits are my favorites) while Mass Rifle has a 200 yd rifle range and a great 25 yd indoor range that allows centerfire rifle. For me, its Harvard in the warm weather and Mass Rifle when it gets cold.

I know that Mansfield is a hike. But we have a 25 yd range where you can set up from 7 yards to the berm. And if you're the only person on the range, then you can set up multi targets and different distances and walk them... As well as draw from a holster.

We're also a pretty big Cowboy Club, and Black Powder club. And I think that they are starting a Action Pistol Group as well.

But, the longest range is 100 yards.

I know that Mansfield is a hike. But we have a 25 yd range where you can set up from 7 yards to the berm. And if you're the only person on the range, then you can set up multi targets and different distances and walk them... As well as draw from a holster.

We're also a pretty big Cowboy Club, and Black Powder club. And I think that they are starting a Action Pistol Group as well.

Am I missing something?

I know we have 50 yd and 100 yd ranges, but I am unaware of any 25 yd range.

C-pher,

We have a 50 yd and a 100 yd range. There is no 25 yd range. At the right end of the 50 is a plinking area. If you are the only person on the range, or if everyone using the range agrees, then the firing line may move downrange as appropriate. Of course the Yellow Safety line moves also. All range safety rules apply and I emphasize "everyone using the range must agree to the movement".

Richard

Last edited:
Am I missing something?

I know we have 50 yd and 100 yd ranges, but I am unaware of any 25 yd range.

LenS,

Remember, It has been awhile since C-pher has been seen at the range. He may be relying on his memory [laugh]

C-pher,

If you like I can arrange a tour of the facilities for you.[rofl]

Richard

I will throw a +1 for Westford. Like you, I was in the same boat. I actually live less than a 1.5 mile drive from there. Talk about convenience! It isn't worth it though, and even though they are so close, and my membership hasn't run out yet, I haven't been there in almost a year.

Woburn Sportsman's Club is a great club, if you are a crotchety old fart, who loves to bitch about everyone, make up imaginary rules, and go to the range for 6 hours and only shoot 5 rounds of ammo. Other than that, the club sucks ASS!

Back
Top Bottom